+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Welsh Government

Re: The Welsh Government

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    do you think the Welsh property market is in danger of overheating?
    It seems pretty buoyant at the moment, houses are selling very quickly from what I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I've never understood the constant criticism on here for criticisms sake. If you're a labour supporter you don't have to criticize everything the Tories do and vice versa. We've got the best of both worlds at the moment. Not cut off from the union if independent, nor do I believe abolishing the WAG is a good idea either?

I don't like the fact that the Gov prioritizes the environment over a fragile economy, even more so that we know it will always be Labour in charge here for the foreseeable future. Why we don't have big capital investment projects here baffles me!

But the take over in principle of trains, airport etc is a good thing but has been poorly handled.

Not a major fan of the sugar and alcohol tax but not dead against it.

Not all WG decisions have been bad and I don't think the grass is always greener
    I saw it suggested that Rishi Shunak will introduce a road tax because the ban on sale of petrol/diesel cars will see drop in purchase in fuel and thus drop in revenue brought into the economy through that route. Give me a tax on sugar and alcohol any day, something we currently need to discourage, over a tax on something that is people responding to government's green policies in a way that has the desired effect.

The Housing Laws being processed currently are in a way good (helps reduce homelessness) and in a way bad (likely to over-crowd the courts, likely to put people of becoming landlords) with dial tilting slightly more towards bad than good but nevertheless overall policy heading in right direction. Don't think the Senedd gets everything right but more complex that saying it's all bad, or all good.

Feedback

Yes
    honestly, there is no danger of that happening at all

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I saw it suggested that Rishi Shunak will introduce a road tax because the ban on sale of petrol/diesel cars will see drop in purchase in fuel and thus drop in revenue brought into the economy through that route. Give me a tax on sugar and alcohol any day, something we currently need to discourage, over a tax on something that is people responding to government's green policies in a way that has the desired effect.

The Housing Laws being processed currently are in a way good (helps reduce homelessness) and in a way bad (likely to over-crowd the courts, likely to put people of becoming landlords) with dial tilting slightly more towards bad than good but nevertheless overall policy heading in right direction. Don't think the Senedd gets everything right but more complex that saying it's all bad, or all good.
    Agree.

As selfish as it is, both parties can be accused of prioritising the polars of the range of people, where realistically the mean is where it should be focused.

honestly, there is no danger of that happening at all
    Yes, yes there is.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

On the other hand the ban on petrol/diesel will see less money leave the economy to go to oil producing nations.

the more money that stays washing around the economy here it#ll end up in the exchequer eventually

Feedback

Yes, yes there is.
    we will have to disagree on this one

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    On the other hand the ban on petrol/diesel will see less money leave the economy to go to oil producing nations.

the more money that stays washing around the economy here it#ll end up in the exchequer eventually
    whilst this may have been true pre Covid, currently the UK is a net exporter of crude oil.

firstly, the WG block grant has reduced as a result of The WRS now being responsible for collecting LTT. Therefore it does not automatically follow that we will see an increase in revenues to spend on public services. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the Welsh economy is far more fragile than England's and we need all the support to boost it that we can get. Hammering people for tax whilst England is currently reducing the tax burden isn't going to help the Welsh economy at all.

FWIW the case in point I'm talking about is £53k LTT v £21k SDLT. Where do you think the investment will end up - Wales, or just over the border, thus saving £32k?

its not rocket science.
    Are you factoring in all the other costs involved in an investment made on the other side of the border ? Would it still be a 32k saving ? Seems a little simplistic/convenient.

whilst this may have been true pre Covid, currently the UK is a net exporter of crude oil.
    How about petrol/diesel, I thought we were still a net importer of those

And you'd have to assume that by 2030 the covid restrictions would be over

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Are you factoring in all the other costs involved in an investment made on the other side of the border ? Would it still be a 32k saving ? Seems a little simplistic/convenient.
    The difference between setting up in Sedbury/Beechley and Chepstow is a river

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    How about petrol/diesel, I thought we were still a net importer of those

And you'd have to assume that by 2030 the covid restrictions would be over
    Not at present, the UK has a surplus of crude oil. I'm not sure why we are exporting rather than stockpiling, but thats another conversation.

And its bold of you to assume Boris and Co will have a handle on this pandemic by 2030.

we will have to disagree on this one
    You'll be disagreeing with most peoples opinions on the subject

Feedback

You'll be disagreeing with most peoples opinions on the subject
    In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king

The stupid housing system in this country , where everyone is pushed the dream of home ownership is one of the main reasons why our economy shifts from boom to bust so often .

I would rather have Welsh Labour in power than the tories lead by that Paul Davies or Andrew rt Davies, he's just a rich landowner with no interest in ordinary people

Working class people have suddenly become middle class in their eyes, laughable really.
    But with the Tory spun media controlling the masses and making working class people think they are doing really well and making them think that they are middle class it will only get worse.
    At least you have a title of Manager pinned to your chest.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The stupid housing system in this country , where everyone is pushed the dream of home ownership is one of the main reasons why our economy shifts from boom to bust so often .

I would rather have Welsh Labour in power than the tories lead by that Paul Davies or Andrew rt Davies, he's just a rich landowner with no interest in ordinary people
    I'm sure Mr Drakeford has a comfortable existence.

The electric car policy will affect Scotland's ability to be self supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'm sure Mr Drakeford has a comfortable existence.
    Compared to andrew rt davies he's got f all

Didn't realise until recently Mark Drakeford was a Corbyn backer , both from the Momentum grassroots world . Thought he was more of a centralist .

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The electric car policy will affect Scotland's ability to be self supporting.
    Them Scots got loads of wind though whistling through their Highlands 😳

Feedback

Applying this approach consistently, you're happy Branson has his billions because compared to bezos he has got f all.

Is that correct?

Applying this approach consistently, you're happy Branson has his billions because compared to bezos he has got f all.

Is that correct?
    No

Branson is a ****

The only good thing he ever did was fund Derek and Clive

Didn't realise until recently Mark Drakeford was a Corbyn backer , both from the Momentum grassroots world . Thought he was more of a centralist .
    I am no fan of drakeford I was amazed he got the gig

That makes Drakeford all the more impressive imo.