+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

What has the world come to?
    Bloody faggots
    Which I like actually.
    Discuss

Re: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

I would think it should be the context that matters?

In what way is 'faggot' meant in the song? I do not believe it is being used as a homophobic slur is it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...622%3fmode=amp

Shane MacGowan explains it here also says he doesn't mind it being bleeped, but that it wasn't intended to offend.

Sign of the times I guess, I just can't see how people can be offended by this sort of thing but apparently ofcom got complaints about someone vomiting on I'm a celebrity so they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I would think it should be the context that matters?

In what way is 'faggot' meant in the song? I do not believe it is being used as a homophobic slur is it?
    I don't think it is used as a homophobic slur but it is a homophobic slur.

The N word is bleeped in songs by black rappers saying it, similar sort of thing isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...622%3fmode=amp

Shane MacGowan explains it here also says he doesn't mind it being bleeped, but that it wasn't intended to offend.

Sign of the times I guess, I just can't see how people can be offended by this sort of thing but apparently ofcom got complaints about someone vomiting on I'm a celebrity so they are out there.
    I mean it is a word that is deragtory to gay people, it's clear why people might not be comfortable with it.

I remember when Brighton were stamping out homophobic abuse at their ground I always thought it was just people having a laugh and causing no harm. But then I read an article by a gay football fan and how statistically quite a few people at football matches are gay, and how it must feel to have a big part of you used as an insult. It doesn't personally offend me but if it makes life better for others why not try to stamp it out.

We as white men always seem to think people should't be hurt by words but I'm not so sure it would be the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

I'm so angry about this that I'm getting the word FAGGOT knitted into my Christmas jumper.

Stop listening to Radio 1

I'm furious that kids listening to a radio station that I never listen to might not hear a homophobic slur in a song they'll hardly play and which the kids will not care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    It's target audience is 16-24 years, I doubt anyone on here is actually that bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    I would imagine the majority of the people who hold a fondness for the Fairy Tale of New York do not listen to Radio 1 anyway.

I've stopped listening because im too old anyway.

From what i can remember they didn't blast out Christmas hits anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I mean it is a word that is deragtory to gay people, it's clear why people might not be comfortable with it.

I remember when Brighton were stamping out homophobic abuse at their ground I always thought it was just people having a laugh and causing no harm. But then I read an article by a gay football fan and how statistically quite a few people at football matches are gay, and how it must feel to have a big part of you used as an insult. It doesn't personally offend me but if it makes life better for others why not try to stamp it out.

We as white men always seem to think people should't be hurt by words but I'm not so sure it would be the same if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Funny you should say that about gay people finding it offensive. My cousin is gay, went to her wedding which was half gay folks who all knew each other. They would all call each other “you poof, fag or something like that all night long....it was quite an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's target audience is 16-24 years, I doubt anyone on here is actually that bothered.
    Well there's not much else of consequence happening these days, so well worth a Discuss thread.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I would imagine the majority of the people who hold a fondness for the Fairy Tale of New York do not listen to Radio 1 anyway.

I've stopped listening because im too old anyway.

From what i can remember they didn't blast out Christmas hits anyway.
    I’d have a full on migraine listening to radio 1 after about 3 mins I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Funny you should say that about gay people finding it offensive. My cousin is gay, went to her wedding which was half gay folks who all knew each other. They would all call each other “you poof, fag or something like that all night long....it was quite an eye opener.
    Context, I suppose. Friends who you've known for years at a happy occasion vs thousands of angry strangers yelling it towards you. There might just be something about the context that's different.

Soft as shite

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yeah it's all about context isn't it though? Just like your mates would probably call each other offensive things and not mind.

They've got it wrong. But it's understandable. It's the BBC. What's the big deal anyway? You'll hear the song with the word "faggot" edited out. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Soft as shite
    What is soft as shite about it?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They've got it wrong. But it's understandable. It's the BBC. What's the big deal anyway? You'll hear the song with the word "faggot" edited out. It happens.
    I'm pretty sure they've editted it out for at least 10 years haven't they, surprised people actually care.

There is no end to things people will moan about that doesn't actually affect them.

I think people just need to remember we don't know what it's like to be a marginalised group so we should probably realise that we aren't the best people to decide what is and isn't offensive with stuff like this.

Heisenberg

Are they keeping the "you're an old slut on junk" bit in though?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Are they keeping the "you're an old slut on junk" bit in though?
    I think it's not in the Radio 1 version but the Radio 2 version is completely uneditted

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What is soft as shite about it?

Kids being offended by it.

Even though rap and grime is full of the N word

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Kids being offended by it.

Even though rap and grime is full of the N word
    But that doesn't get played on radio 1 either

Songs with swear words get bleeped out. This is an offensive slur. It isn't that shocking. Shane MacGowan is on board. It's a complete non story.