+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Re: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Shane has said it means that, and it is taken in the context of how she would speak. It doesn't offend me but I am not gay. Faggot is a bundle of sticks on a fire (as well as the meat), and they used to burn gay people to death. That's why it's offensive. Do they say s**t and f**k? No. It is a complete non story.

Final word, the actual artist understands why they've done it. Him. The bloke that wrote the flipping thing.
    I was there when Shane Mc had his teeth kicked out in the Electric Ball Room in Camden, he was one of them really annoying drunks.

Feedback

They're bleeping out slut too but don't let facts get in the way of your argument.
    It wasn't an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Context, I suppose. Friends who you've known for years at a happy occasion vs thousands of angry strangers yelling it towards you. There might just be something about the context that's different.
    I didn’t know any of her gay friends, that was the first time I’d ever met them. They were all mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'm pretty sure they've editted it out for at least 10 years haven't they, surprised people actually care.

There is no end to things people will moan about that doesn't actually affect them.

I think people just need to remember we don't know what it's like to be a marginalised group so we should probably realise that we aren't the best people to decide what is and isn't offensive with stuff like this.
    I’m surprised people even notice, god knows how many times I’ve listened and sang along to it in the last 25 years, never even noticed it.

Shane has said it means that, and it is taken in the context of how she would speak. It doesn't offend me but I am not gay. Faggot is a bundle of sticks on a fire (as well as the meat), and they used to burn gay people to death. That's why it's offensive. Do they say s**t and f**k? No. It is a complete non story.

Final word, the actual artist understands why they've done it. Him. The bloke that wrote the flipping thing.
    Looks like you've done some serious research (or picked it up in Nuts) whereas I had not really given it that much thought, nor heard Shane McGowan's comments.

Isn't it just a word that rhymes with maggot

Isn't it a song centred around a couple that for years had their ups and downs, slinging insults at each other in a drunken rage.
    This this is a song, a performance not too dissimilar to what goes on in Eastenders or Corrie. Gratuitous violence is commonplace on telly, shouldn't it be treated it the same?

As for Shane and the interview where he says what you say he says, I'm guessing it was the first thing that entered his pickled brain, especially as the interviewer (daily mail?) was buying.
    He said the right thing.

Far worse stuff played / shown by the BBC over the years.
    Attention seeking, non story, moral high ground, sells papers, takes heat off what really matters in this day and age... take your pick.

oh never mind let's just hum it

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Looks like you've done some serious research (or picked it up in Nuts) whereas I had not really given it that much thought, nor heard Shane McGowan's comments.

Isn't it just a word that rhymes with maggot

Isn't it a song centred around a couple that for years had their ups and downs, slinging insults at each other in a drunken rage.
    This this is a song, a performance not too dissimilar to what goes on in Eastenders or Corrie. Gratuitous violence is commonplace on telly, shouldn't it be treated it the same?

As for Shane and the interview where he says what you say he says, I'm guessing it was the first thing that entered his pickled brain, especially as the interviewer (daily mail?) was buying.
    He said the right thing.

Far worse stuff played / shown by the BBC over the years.
    Attention seeking, non story, moral high ground, sells papers, takes heat off what really matters in this day and age... take your pick.
    He's even tweeted about it . I literally read the article and then pissed myself when he tweeted that knobhead Fox.

Faggot doesn't mean that, now it is just a word. You've not got a clue have you. You wouldn't say f--k, so you won't say faggot. It really is that simple. Faggot is a homophobic slur.

Who cares? Why do you care? If anyone is the snowflake, attention seeking making the most out of a non story it is you. You can't swear on Radio 1. Fine. If you care that much, listen to it on Spotify.

Feedback

He's even tweeted about it . I literally read the article and then pissed myself when he tweeted that knobhead Fox.

Faggot doesn't mean that, now it is just a word. You've not got a clue have you. You wouldn't say f--k, so you won't say faggot. It really is that simple. Faggot is a homophobic slur.

Who cares? Why do you care? If anyone is the snowflake, attention seeking making the most out of a non story it is you. You can't swear on Radio 1. Fine. If you care that much, listen to it on Spotify.
    I'm going to have to take you to task regarding Spotify.

They're ***** just like Amazon.

Artists need around 10,000 plays to earn a £1 (its some ridiculous number), meaning Spotify is to music was amazon is to the high street.

Yet here you are waxing lyrical about a service that is killing the music industry.

The BBC, soecifically 6music, more specifically RadMac and Steve Lamacq, on the other hand, are at the vanguard of supporting up and coming artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I'm going to have to take you to task regarding Spotify.

Artists need around 10,000 plays to earn a £1 (its some ridiculous number), meaning Spotify is to music was amazon is to the high street.

Yet here you are waxing lyrical about a service that is killing the music industry.

The BBC, soecifically 6music, more specifically RadMac and Steve Lamacq, on the other hand, are at the vanguard of supporting up and coming artists.
    Out interest, what's the missing word?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Out interest, what's the missing word?

Its the collective noun for posters such as Freitag, Cyril Evans awaydays, and Croesy Blue

Its the collective noun for posters such as Freitag, Cyril Evans awaydays, and Croesy Blue
    Trying to avoid offending people....how coy. Also do you know what a collective noun is?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Trying to avoid offending people....how coy

This calls for a......
    whoooooosh and a

Were those your final final words?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm furious that kids listening to a radio station that I never listen to might not hear a homophobic slur in a song they'll hardly play and which the kids will not care about.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I didn’t know any of her gay friends, that was the first time I’d ever met them. They were all mental.
    Why would they behave differently to each other because they don't know you?

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Oh come on...we’re Welsh we been marginalised for fecking centuries of course we know how it feels.
    Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life? I’ve lived outside of wales for 20 years and it’s never affected me.

Smart?

The triggered generation are easily offended.

Faggot is not allowed but slut is.

How bizarre
    I think you’re missing the point again. People aren’t removing this word because they’re offended by it as it’s still being played on radio 2. They’re removing this word because the age group that listens to radio 1 are younger and will have a lot of people struggling with their sexuality.

It has nothing to do with offense, it’s about making life better for a marginalised group.

I’d say there’s more of an argument for why the words ****, shit and **** get bleeped out. Why are people bothered by swearing?

Feedback

I think you’re missing the point again. People aren’t removing this word because they’re offended by it as it’s still being played on radio 2. They’re removing this word because the age group that listens to radio 1 are younger and will have a lot of people struggling with their sexuality.

It has nothing to do with offense, it’s about making life better for a marginalised group.

I’d say there’s more of an argument for why the words ****, shit and **** get bleeped out. Why are people bothered by swearing?
    As I said, the triggered generation are easily offended. Its a word, and it only has the meaning you decide to give it.

Feedback

Smart?
    why the straight face?

As I said, the triggered generation are easily offended. Its a word, and it only has the meaning you decide to give it.
    The triggered generation are the ones crying that they can't hear an offensive word on a radio station they don't listen to right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The triggered generation are the ones crying that they can't hear an offensive word on a radio station they don't listen to right?
    Omg don't reply to him with the O word, he'll be off for another two hours

Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life? I’ve lived outside of wales for 20 years and it’s never affected me.
    No because I don’t get offended easily but I have been in certain company whereby the Welsh can be the butt of the joke so my point is I do know what it’s like to be on the receiving end.

Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life?
    I have watched several episodes of "High Hopes".

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    No because I don’t get offended easily but I have been in certain company whereby the Welsh can be the butt of the joke so my point is I do know what it’s like to be on the receiving end.
    Come on mate there’s a difference between the butt of a joke and having your whole part in society questioned.