+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Re: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    As I said, the triggered generation are easily offended. Its a word, and it only has the meaning you decide to give it.
    Spoken like a true straight white man who can’t see past the end of his own nose

This whole thread seems to be full of people who can’t see something from someone else’s point of view and have equated homophobia and just being a bit mean.

I was always of the same opinion but try listening to other people who have better experience of it and showing some empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I have watched several episodes of "High Hopes".
    That’s a lifestyle choice if I’ve ever heard one

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life? I’ve lived outside of wales for 20 years and it’s never affected me.
    It's never happened to me so it doesn't happen to other people?

I wouldn't argue that being Welsh gives you substantial insight into what it means to identify as one of the protected characteristics but there are many actions which make up discrimination (historical and present day) and a relatively small number of those have a crossover with experience of Welsh people. But if marginalisation is act of treating something as if it's less or not important then not sure how you can say Wales as country and Welsh culture hasn't been marginalised, even if you're just describing how Welsh people treat those things without going into anything else. Perhaps the main difference though is that we are able to chose to have being Welsh as an inconsequential part of your life or not part of your life at all whereas as a person who is potentially hurt by this word isn't in a position where they can do that and too often it's other people making sure it's a consequential part of their life for all the wrong reasons.

Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life?
    I am aware of Owen Money

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I wouldn't argue that being Welsh gives you substantial insight into what it means to identify as one of the protected characteristics but there are many actions which make up discrimination (historical and present day) and a relatively small number of those have a crossover with experience of Welsh people. But if marginalisation is act of treating something as if it's less or not important then not sure how you can say Wales as country and Welsh culture hasn't been marginalised, even if you're just describing how Welsh people treat those things without going into anything else. Perhaps the main difference though is that we are able to chose to have being Welsh as an inconsequential part of your life or not part of your life at all whereas as a person who is potentially hurt by this word isn't in a position where they can do that and too often it's other people making sure it's a consequential part of their life for all the wrong reasons.
    Admittedly, I have misused the word discrimination here so undermines the point. Protected characteristics can be discimrinated against, anyone can face prejudice - is that right?

I'm not saying Welsh culture hasn't be marginalised, quite the opposite. But I just think it's a different argument.

Being Welsh hasn't stopped me progressing in my job, holding hands with my partner, worried about entering a country as it's legal to be Welsh, it doesn't make me more likely to get assaulted, I've never had to hide being Welsh and there are at least 3 million other people who are proud to be welsh with no fear of real prejudice from society.

I just don't think it's a helpful comparisson.

I'm not saying Welsh culture hasn't be marginalised, quite the opposite. But I just think it's a different argument.

Being Welsh hasn't stopped me progressing in my job, holding hands with my partner, worried about entering a country as it's legal to be Welsh, it doesn't make me more likely to get assaulted, I've never had to hide being Welsh and there are at least 3 million other people who are proud to be welsh with no fear of real prejudice from society.

I just don't think it's a helpful comparisson.
    Being Welsh and being from the LGBT+ community is not the same, I hoped I had made that clear in my last sentence by saying a person who is potentially hurt by this word can't chose not to be LGBT+ whereas one can chose not to be Welsh, and accept my middle section within that paragraph has stepped in another direction.

The point I was trying to make at the start (admittedly, misusing "discrimination") is there is some crossover which gives some limited understanding of the experience. For example, queer people being underrepresented in the and/or unfairly represented by the media we see in day-to-day life or being treated as, at best, an afterthought in offices of political power which is also part of being a marinalised group. It's not the same as still having a higher risk of being ostracised by your family, being passed over for a promotion, not being able to dress how you would like to in too many places or having to check travel advice before travelling, but there was a reason the LGBT+ activist groups and Welsh miners were able to work together as demonstrated in film Pride.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The triggered generation are the ones crying that they can't hear an offensive word on a radio station they don't listen to right?

the triggered generation are the ones who think them getting offended affords them some special rights and privileges. it doesn't.

Being Welsh and being from the LGBT+ community is not the same, I hoped I had made that clear in my last sentence by saying a person who is potentially hurt by this word can't chose not to be LGBT+ whereas one can chose not to be Welsh, and accept my middle section within that paragraph has stepped in another direction.

The point I was trying to make at the start (admittedly, misusing "discrimination") is there is some crossover which gives some understanding of the experience. For example, queer people being underrepresented in the and/or unfairly represented by the media we see in day-to-day life or being treated as, at best, an afterthought in offices of political power which is also part of being a marinalised group. It's not the same as still having a higher risk of being ostracised by your family, being passed over for a promotion, not being able to dress how you would like to in too many places or having to check travel advice before travelling, but there was a reason the LGBT+ communities and Welsh miners were able to work together as demonstrated in film Pride.
    You made a good point, I didn't mean to undermine it at all, apologies if I did. I just didn't agree with the original poster saying if being welsh means you can understand how homophobia feels.

Feedback

Spoken like a true straight white man who can’t see past the end of his own nose

This whole thread seems to be full of people who can’t see something from someone else’s point of view and have equated homophobia and just being a bit mean.

I was always of the same opinion but try listening to other people who have better experience of it and showing some empathy.
    I lived in England for quite a while. I'm well aware of how marginalised some people can try and make you feel just for being "different".

Feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxwdJkj3Ts

if you can't laugh at this, then there is something wrong with you

the triggered generation are the ones who think them getting offended affords them some special rights and privileges. it doesn't.
    The fact you keep saying this makes you look so short sighted and thick it's unbelievable.

You're obviously an intelligent guy but you can't appear to grasp the actual point here. The fact you say anyone disagreeing with you is offended just paints you out as being short sighted and narrow minded. You haven't managed to give one reasonable argument about why banning the word is bad other than people shouldn't be offended.

I honestly had the exact same opinion as you, but reading a lot around the subject made me appreciate that maybe I just didn't understand how it feels for people who are the ones affected.

Sometimes there is nothing wrong with holding your hands up and saying "I don't understand this and if it makes people's lives better while not making anyone else's life worse why not try and understand it"

I lived in England for quite a while. I'm well aware of how marginalised some people can try and make you feel just for being "different".
    I've lived in England for 15 years, France for 5 and the US for 1, it's not something I've ever experienced.

How did people try and marginalise you?

Feedback

The fact you keep saying this makes you look so short sighted and thick it's unbelievable.
    ad hominem really is your MO. you just cannot abide anyone holding a different view point to you own. Maybe we should just make you king of the world, since you're so enlightened.

You're obviously an intelligent guy but you can't appear to grasp the actual point here. The fact you say anyone disagreeing with you is offended just paints you out as being short sighted and narrow minded. You haven't managed to give one reasonable argument about why banning the word is bad other than people shouldn't be offended.
    the point is quite clear to me - people get offended over words, meanings of which change over time.

I honestly had the exact same opinion as you, but reading a lot around the subject made me appreciate that maybe I just didn't understand how it feels for people who are the ones affected.
    I've been on the receiving end, and gave any such comments the consideration they deserved

Sometimes there is nothing wrong with holding your hands up and saying "I don't understand this and if it makes people's lives better while not making anyone else's life worse why not try and understand it"
    I go back to my point, you're suggesting that words themselves can make someone's life miserable. no one is advocating promoting racism, homophobia or any form of bigotry and hatred. We even have laws that stop the promotion of such things, and its quite correct that we do.

Feedback

I've lived in England for 15 years, France for 5 and the US for 1, it's not something I've ever experienced.

How did people try and marginalise you?
    being Welsh, how do you think? and I'm not referencing your pals, I'm talking about people you don't know

being Welsh, how do you think? and I'm not referencing your pals, I'm talking about people you don't know
    I have no idea how you were marginalised, please tell me.

ad hominem really is your MO. you just cannot abide anyone holding a different view point to you own. Maybe we should just make you king of the world, since you're so enlightened.

the point is quite clear to me - people get offended over words, meanings of which change over time.

I've been on the receiving end, and gave any such comments the consideration they deserved

I go back to my point, you're suggesting that words themselves can make someone's life miserable. no one is advocating promoting racism, homophobia or any form of bigotry and hatred. We even have laws that stop the promotion of such things, and its quite correct that we do.
    The fact we have laws against those things sorts of proves a point that people are justified to be offended by certain things then doesn't it?

30 years ago people would have been saying why are people so offended by things that are now as you say "quite correct that we do" stop promoting.

Maybe you can accept that fact that people being "offended" by these words is the start of postive progression for society moving towards marginalisd people being more free by not "advocating promoting racism, homophobia or any form of bigotry and hatred" in your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Stop listening to Radio 1
    Stopped listening years ago! It always has been shite in the main, ever since I was a kid when my parents had it on from 1970 onwards. There has only ever been one good Radio 1 daytime DJ and that was the great Johnnie Walker, and he left in 1976! Enjoyed John Peel and Tommy Vance back in the day, but that really was decades ago. It really is fecking awful. Brain dead music played for morons by asswipes, is the kindest thing I can say about 'wonderful' Radio 1

The other thing to be said is that plenty of LGBTQ+ people won't be hurt by the line in this song and would rather Radio 1 focusses on:

• LGBTQ services being cut
    • The media's anti-trans campaign
    • A quarter of young homeless people being LGBTQ
    • LGBTQ refugees being deported to countries with anti-LGBTQ laws

Have LGBTQ+ people asked for this word to be removed or is it people not from those groups being "helpful" by doing something that takes 2 minutes and really has a relatively small positive impact only while simultaneously pissing off people who already feel things they enjoy are being taken away?

The other thing to be said is that plenty of LGBTQ+ people won't be hurt by the line in this song and would rather Radio 1 focusses on:

• LGBTQ services being cut
    • The media's anti-trans campaign
    • A quarter of young homeless people being LGBTQ
    • LGBTQ refugees being deported to countries with anti-LGBTQ laws

Have LGBTQ+ people asked for this word to be removed or is it people not from those groups being "helpful" by doing something that takes 2 minutes and really has a relatively small positive impact only while simultaneously pissing off people who already feel things they enjoy are being taken away?
    Who feels that things they enjoy are being taken away AND listens to Radio 1?

If you drew a Venn Diagram of "people getting offended at what Radio 1 has done" and "people who are completely oblivious to the concept of radio edits" you'd have a circle.

Absolute weapons. Like that Daily Fail columnist who said they'd censor this but still play that "wet-assed pussy" song. They censor that too, you muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    If you drew a Venn Diagram of "people getting offended at what Radio 1 has done" and "people who are completely oblivious to the concept of radio edits" you'd have a circle.

Absolute weapons. Like that Daily Fail columnist who said they'd censor this but still play that "wet-assed pussy" song. They censor that too, you muppet.
    The people writing the columns know that and are just doing it to whip people up into a frenzy because it get clicks.

Then certain people like users of this messageboard get taken in by it and form their whole personality around it.

This faux outrage has always been pushed by certain right leaning papers (the mail and especially the express) but because of the rise of social media it’s taking in more people than ever.

Then these idiots think everyone who hasn’t been taken in by this is offended. It’s painful reading opinions online these days as they’re often by morons who are targeted like this.

Taffy was a welshman taffy was a thief.....so according to King Croesy that's a different sort of hurt than being called a faggot.

I've lived in five different parts of England (both rural and urban) over a period of 45 years and have never had any problem of any description. I can't say that I had a problem when I lived in Scotland and Germany either.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    According to who?