+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Feedback

Re: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    According to who?
    The triggered generation

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    The triggered generation
    I assume the "triggered generation" are the people/snowflakes aged 40+ who are getting really upset at the apparent "censoring" online?

Just like they got triggered by Sainsbury's and a Tesco advert etc. etc.

The triggered generation
    Are you their spokesman, or do you have specific experience of this, or is it because you read this nonsense and believe it as it suits your agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    I assume the "triggered generation" are the people/snowflakes aged 40+ who are getting really upset at the apparent "censoring" online?

Just like they got triggered by Sainsbury's and a Tesco advert etc. etc.
    Well said.

I work with lots of young people. I've studied with lots of young people over the last few years. The line that they're the ones easily offended by things is utter bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Taffy was a welshman taffy was a thief.....so according to King Croesy that's a different sort of hurt than being called a faggot.
    I think it’s just a different situation. It wouldn’t make me feel like I wasn’t accepted in society because it isn’t that prevalent.

Whereas homophobia has been used to exclude gay people for most of modern life.

You’re welcome to disagree but I think homophobia is probably a bigger problem than someone making fun of you for being Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Well said.

I work with lots of young people. I've studied with lots of young people over the last few years. The line that they're the ones easily offended by things is utter bollocks.
    Triggered generation, social justice worrier, snowflake and words like these are used by people who get most of their information from reading articles online designed to wind them up. And have not seen any of this in the real world.

Kids these days aren’t more offended than when I was a kid. I think if anything they just seem to be a bit more conscious of others, which is surely a positive.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Triggered generation, social justice worrier, snowflake and words like these are used by people who get most of their information from reading articles online designed to wind them up. And have not seen any of this in the real world.

Kids these days aren’t more offended than when I was a kid. I think if anything they just seem to be a bit more conscious of others, which is surely a positive.
    I agree, not all are offended, but there are some people, albeit a very few in number, who feel the need to be offended by everyone and everything. We had a girl work for us, just out of university, and she almost had a stroke when one of our clients referred to his partner as half-caste (a term the partner was comfortable with). She didn't last long. She was white.

I agree, not all are offended, but there are some people, albeit a very few in number, who feel the need to be offended by everyone and everything. We had a girl work for us, just out of university, and she almost had a stroke when one of our clients referred to his partner as half-caste (a term the partner was comfortable with). She didn't last long. She was white.
    What a load or bollocks

Feedback

What a load or bollocks
    her name was Lily, and **** me, she moaned about everything.

I think it’s just a different situation. It wouldn’t make me feel like I wasn’t accepted in society because it isn’t that prevalent.

Whereas homophobia has been used to exclude gay people for most of modern life.

You’re welcome to disagree but I think homophobia is probably a bigger problem than someone making fun of you for being Welsh.
    Okay I hear you....so chanting we can see you holding hands to the Brighton fans is excluding them from modern life or is it just having a bit of fun with them because Brighton prides itself on its gay community?

Okay I hear you....so chanting we can see you holding hands to the Brighton fans is excluding them from modern life or is it just having a bit of fun with them because Brighton prides itself on its gay community?
    I mean that’s on the soft side of it and if that was in isolation and the only bit of homophobia ever heard or faced it probably wouldn’t be a problem would it?

Also is it me that thought it was funny the first time they heard it 20 years ago but now think it’s been run into the ground? I’m always shocked that there are still people laughing their heads off at it .

International

[QUOTE=surge;5137574]Being Welsh and being from the LGBT+ community is not the same, I hoped I had made that clear in my last sentence by saying a person who is potentially hurt by this word can't chose not to be LGBT+ whereas one can chose not to be Welsh, and accept my middle section within that paragraph has stepped in another direction.

That's an interesting concept.
    i have this vision of someone filling in an application form. Place of birth: Town/county : Aberdare, surrey.

I mean that’s on the soft side of it and if that was in isolation and the only bit of homophobia ever heard or faced it probably wouldn’t be a problem would it?
    You may say it's soft but there were threats to throw people out of the ground who chants it....and I do still think it's quite funny much the same as our kev McNaughton song always brings a smile to my face.

If its upset Laurence Fox then great. Hope they edit a few more.

Feedback

You may say it's soft but there were threats to throw people out of the ground who chants it....and I do still think it's quite funny much the same as our kev McNaughton song always brings a smile to my face.
    Many years ago I worked with a Brighton fan who just so happened to walk on the other side of the street and he thought it was funny with no malice intended.

Many years ago I worked with a Brighton fan who just so happened to walk on the other side of the street and he thought it was funny with no malice intended.
    You shouldn't be singing songs at him in the office though, really.

As I said, the triggered generation are easily offended. Its a word, and it only has the meaning you decide to give it.
    “triggered generation”

If you drew a Venn Diagram of "people getting offended at what Radio 1 has done" and "people who are completely oblivious to the concept of radio edits" you'd have a circle.

Absolute weapons. Like that Daily Fail columnist who said they'd censor this but still play that "wet-assed pussy" song. They censor that too, you muppet.
    Even on Apple Music radio that is censored. I was listening to Capital the other day and they censored ‘codeine got me tripping’ in the song Lemonade. A few years ago, Big Sean’s song ‘I don’t **** with you’ was censored and that basically blanked the whole song as it was repetitive and he was rapping “****” and “bitch” a lot

It's funny how you always manage to remember someone who was able to hand-wave or justify whatever is being discussed.

"Oh, we used to have a black guy work with us! "Darkie" we all called him, he never told us to stop so it couldn't have been racist!"

You worked with 1 student, so everyone under a certain age is as "precious" as her. You remember 1 Brighton fan who apparently spoke on behalf of all Brighton fans. You remember 1 client who called his wife "half-caste" (a term the Oxford Dictionary calls "offensive") but because she never stopped her husband from using it every mixed race person in the entire world is now comfortable with you using that term.

I'll call you a c*nt then. I called someone a c*nt before and he laughed, so that means I can call everyone big ol' c*nty c*nt too then. And no one is allowed to tell me otherwise. And that word should be taken off the swear filter, cos 1 person laughed at it so it's not offensive.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You shouldn't be singing songs at him in the office though, really.
    Well there is that.

Feedback

It's funny how you always manage to remember someone who was able to hand-wave or justify whatever is being discussed.

"Oh, we used to have a black guy work with us! "Darkie" we all called him, he never told us to stop so it couldn't have been racist!"

You worked with 1 student, so everyone under a certain age is as "precious" as her. You remember 1 Brighton fan who apparently spoke on behalf of all Brighton fans. You remember 1 client who called his wife "half-caste" (a term the Oxford Dictionary calls "offensive") but because she never stopped her husband from using it every mixed race person in the entire world is now comfortable with you using that term.

I'll call you a c*nt then. I called someone a c*nt before and he laughed, so that means I can call everyone big ol' c*nty c*nt too then. And no one is allowed to tell me otherwise. And that word should be taken off the swear filter, cos 1 person laughed at it so it's not offensive.
    You wouldn't be the first to call me a ****, and ill hasten to add you won't be the last. Quack quack its all water off a ducks back.

My anecdotes are based on life experience. Some of us venture beyond the end of our street on occasion. Its a big world out there.

My anecdotes are based on life experience.
    anecdotal

adjective

"(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."

But please, feel free to continue saying how some of your opinions are correct and the majority of people who think otherwise are wrong.

As you say, it's a "big world" out there. And most people have decided that some of the terms you wish you could still say belong in the past

My anecdotes are based on life experience. Some of us venture beyond the end of our street on occasion. Its a big world out there.
    yes your tales of the wife of a client and of working with a Brighton fan paint a picture of a life full of adventure and daredevil excitement

Just catching up with this thread this morning as I see it has reached the 5 page mark, so must be interesting I thought. Sadly no, just full of keyboard warriors once again calling each other names. Some of you need to take a good long look at what you have written and reflect on it. The word shameful comes to mind but that is obviously such an old fashioned expression, shame being a concept that belongs in the past I guess. What comes out of your mouth comes from your heart.