+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback

Re: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think you’re missing the point again. People aren’t removing this word because they’re offended by it as it’s still being played on radio 2. They’re removing this word because the age group that listens to radio 1 are younger and will have a lot of people struggling with their sexuality.

It has nothing to do with offense, it’s about making life better for a marginalised group.

I’d say there’s more of an argument for why the words ****, shit and **** get bleeped out. Why are people bothered by swearing?
    As I said, the triggered generation are easily offended. Its a word, and it only has the meaning you decide to give it.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    As I said, the triggered generation are easily offended. Its a word, and it only has the meaning you decide to give it.
    The triggered generation are the ones crying that they can't hear an offensive word on a radio station they don't listen to right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The triggered generation are the ones crying that they can't hear an offensive word on a radio station they don't listen to right?
    Omg don't reply to him with the O word, he'll be off for another two hours

Feedback

the triggered generation are the ones who think them getting offended affords them some special rights and privileges. it doesn't.

the triggered generation are the ones who think them getting offended affords them some special rights and privileges. it doesn't.
    The fact you keep saying this makes you look so short sighted and thick it's unbelievable.

You're obviously an intelligent guy but you can't appear to grasp the actual point here. The fact you say anyone disagreeing with you is offended just paints you out as being short sighted and narrow minded. You haven't managed to give one reasonable argument about why banning the word is bad other than people shouldn't be offended.

I honestly had the exact same opinion as you, but reading a lot around the subject made me appreciate that maybe I just didn't understand how it feels for people who are the ones affected.

Sometimes there is nothing wrong with holding your hands up and saying "I don't understand this and if it makes people's lives better while not making anyone else's life worse why not try and understand it"

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    No because I don’t get offended easily but I have been in certain company whereby the Welsh can be the butt of the joke so my point is I do know what it’s like to be on the receiving end.
    Come on mate there’s a difference between the butt of a joke and having your whole part in society questioned.

Spoken like a true straight white man who can’t see past the end of his own nose

This whole thread seems to be full of people who can’t see something from someone else’s point of view and have equated homophobia and just being a bit mean.

I was always of the same opinion but try listening to other people who have better experience of it and showing some empathy.

Feedback

Spoken like a true straight white man who can’t see past the end of his own nose

This whole thread seems to be full of people who can’t see something from someone else’s point of view and have equated homophobia and just being a bit mean.

I was always of the same opinion but try listening to other people who have better experience of it and showing some empathy.
    I lived in England for quite a while. I'm well aware of how marginalised some people can try and make you feel just for being "different".

I lived in England for quite a while. I'm well aware of how marginalised some people can try and make you feel just for being "different".
    I've lived in England for 15 years, France for 5 and the US for 1, it's not something I've ever experienced.

How did people try and marginalise you?

Feedback

I've lived in England for 15 years, France for 5 and the US for 1, it's not something I've ever experienced.

How did people try and marginalise you?
    being Welsh, how do you think? and I'm not referencing your pals, I'm talking about people you don't know

being Welsh, how do you think? and I'm not referencing your pals, I'm talking about people you don't know
    I have no idea how you were marginalised, please tell me.

I've lived in five different parts of England (both rural and urban) over a period of 45 years and have never had any problem of any description. I can't say that I had a problem when I lived in Scotland and Germany either.

I have watched several episodes of "High Hopes".
    That’s a lifestyle choice if I’ve ever heard one

If you drew a Venn Diagram of "people getting offended at what Radio 1 has done" and "people who are completely oblivious to the concept of radio edits" you'd have a circle.

Absolute weapons. Like that Daily Fail columnist who said they'd censor this but still play that "wet-assed pussy" song. They censor that too, you muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    If you drew a Venn Diagram of "people getting offended at what Radio 1 has done" and "people who are completely oblivious to the concept of radio edits" you'd have a circle.

Absolute weapons. Like that Daily Fail columnist who said they'd censor this but still play that "wet-assed pussy" song. They censor that too, you muppet.
    The people writing the columns know that and are just doing it to whip people up into a frenzy because it get clicks.

Then certain people like users of this messageboard get taken in by it and form their whole personality around it.

This faux outrage has always been pushed by certain right leaning papers (the mail and especially the express) but because of the rise of social media it’s taking in more people than ever.

Then these idiots think everyone who hasn’t been taken in by this is offended. It’s painful reading opinions online these days as they’re often by morons who are targeted like this.

Taffy was a welshman taffy was a thief.....so according to King Croesy that's a different sort of hurt than being called a faggot.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    According to who?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    According to who?
    The triggered generation

The triggered generation
    I assume the "triggered generation" are the people/snowflakes aged 40+ who are getting really upset at the apparent "censoring" online?

Just like they got triggered by Sainsbury's and a Tesco advert etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    I assume the "triggered generation" are the people/snowflakes aged 40+ who are getting really upset at the apparent "censoring" online?

Just like they got triggered by Sainsbury's and a Tesco advert etc. etc.
    Well said.

I work with lots of young people. I've studied with lots of young people over the last few years. The line that they're the ones easily offended by things is utter bollocks.

The triggered generation
    Are you their spokesman, or do you have specific experience of this, or is it because you read this nonsense and believe it as it suits your agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Taffy was a welshman taffy was a thief.....so according to King Croesy that's a different sort of hurt than being called a faggot.
    I think it’s just a different situation. It wouldn’t make me feel like I wasn’t accepted in society because it isn’t that prevalent.

Whereas homophobia has been used to exclude gay people for most of modern life.

You’re welcome to disagree but I think homophobia is probably a bigger problem than someone making fun of you for being Welsh.

I think it’s just a different situation. It wouldn’t make me feel like I wasn’t accepted in society because it isn’t that prevalent.

Whereas homophobia has been used to exclude gay people for most of modern life.

You’re welcome to disagree but I think homophobia is probably a bigger problem than someone making fun of you for being Welsh.
    Okay I hear you....so chanting we can see you holding hands to the Brighton fans is excluding them from modern life or is it just having a bit of fun with them because Brighton prides itself on its gay community?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Well said.

I work with lots of young people. I've studied with lots of young people over the last few years. The line that they're the ones easily offended by things is utter bollocks.
    Triggered generation, social justice worrier, snowflake and words like these are used by people who get most of their information from reading articles online designed to wind them up. And have not seen any of this in the real world.

Kids these days aren’t more offended than when I was a kid. I think if anything they just seem to be a bit more conscious of others, which is surely a positive.

Feedback

Triggered generation, social justice worrier, snowflake and words like these are used by people who get most of their information from reading articles online designed to wind them up. And have not seen any of this in the real world.

Kids these days aren’t more offended than when I was a kid. I think if anything they just seem to be a bit more conscious of others, which is surely a positive.
    I agree, not all are offended, but there are some people, albeit a very few in number, who feel the need to be offended by everyone and everything. We had a girl work for us, just out of university, and she almost had a stroke when one of our clients referred to his partner as half-caste (a term the partner was comfortable with). She didn't last long. She was white.