+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Feedback

Re: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    yes your tales of the wife of a client and of working with a Brighton fan paint a picture of a life full of adventure and daredevil excitement
    it gets better, these were clients of an accountant

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    anecdotal
    adjective

"(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."
    Thanks, I always wondered whether I knew what anecdote meant, and you have clarified my understanding was correct all along. There is a reason people, such has me, use anecdote - its to show it is based on personal experience alone.

But please, feel free to continue saying how some of your opinions are correct and the majority of people who think otherwise are wrong.
    I've never once said my opinions are correct. Its unclear from what you have written how an opinion, being subjective, can be correct or otherwise. Perhaps you can elucidate further?

As you say, it's a "big world" out there. And most people have decided that some of the terms you wish you could still say belong in the past
    I've never once said such terms should stay. You're just making things up now to suit your narrative.

Nick Cave has his say:
    https://uk.yahoo.com/news/nick-cave-...103735906.html
    Nick Cave weighs in on ‘Fairytale of New York’ controversy: ‘The BBC continue to mutilate an artefact of immense cultural value’
    Nick Cave.jpg
    Cave went on to claim that the change in lyrics means that “Fairytale of New York” is no longer a “great song”.

He said that the track becomes “a song that has been tampered with, compromised, tamed, and neutered and can no longer be called a great song”.

“It is a song that has lost its truth, its honour and integrity – a song that has knelt down and allowed the BBC to do its grim and sticky business,” Cave added.

The 63-year-old went on to suggest that instead of altering the lyrics, if they were deemed to be offensive then “Radio 1 should have made the decision to simply ban the song, and allow it to retain its outlaw spirit and its dignity”.

“In the end, I feel sorry for ‘Fairytale’, a song so gloriously problematic, as great works of art so often are, performed by one of the most scurrilous and seditious bands of our time, whose best shows were so completely and triumphantly out of order, they had to be seen to believed,” he said.

“Yet, time and time again the integrity of this magnificent song is tested."

Last year, the debate around the song was reignited again, after the uncensored version was performed in the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOBvRs4btvE

Not a big Ed Sheeran fan but this live lounge duet with Anne-Marie is a good listen