+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomlin out for months after operation.

Re: Tomlin out for months after operation.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    So you would have been happy if he had left the club at the end of June when we were pushing for the play-offs?
    Almost. After the play offs.

And then we could have invested his not inconsiderable wages on someone who actually plays.

Seems pretty obvious to me. No point in having a player, however good they are (see Jack Wilshire for example) if they never play. What exactly is the point of that?

Completely pointless and a huge waste of resources 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Boring, boring Bobby
    Or just downright pragmatic.

I’m sorry for you if you think giving Tomlin a new contract was actually a good idea. I really am.

Tomlin is a game changer . He's at the tail end of his career but with a decent surgeon and rehab he's still got the brains and skills to make a huge difference at this level . I wish him the very best .

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The Championship isn't exactly overflowing with players of Tomlin's ability. He'll probably contribute more than most of our squad this season even if he only plays 20 games.

It would be great if he had taken better care of his body when he was younger, but then he'd be playing for a mid-table Premier League club instead of us.
    Even if he's out for 4 months , he's a quality player who wins games . You don't get rid of people like that because he's towards the end of his career , if he's good enough , get him in the team .

not offering a new contract, or offering one year rather than two could well have turned out to be the better move, but we are where we are, and I'm sure everyone would like to see him back in the side and fit.

we paid 3 million for him and probably gets about a million a year in wages, he's into his fourth season with us and he's got another to go. While that kind of money isn't going to ruin us, don't think it's unreasonable for fans to expect more than 57 appearances during that time, the vast majority of which would have been 60 minutes tops, followed by lots of speculation about what he could do if only he got fully fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    not offering a new contract, or offering one year rather than two could well have turned out to be the better move, but we are where we are, and I'm sure everyone would like to see him back in the side and fit.

we paid 3 million for him and probably gets about a million a year in wages, he's into his fourth season with us and he's got another to go. While that kind of money isn't going to ruin us, don't think it's unreasonable for fans to expect more than 57 appearances during that time, the vast majority of which would have been 60 minutes tops, followed by lots of speculation about what he could do if only he got fully fit.
    And yet in those 59 games he’s been involved in 20+ goals. Last year he was averaging a goal or assist every 1.5 games.

For the first 2.5 years he was largely ignored by the twat who signed him.

Give me 60 minutes of a guy who’s available 60/70% of the time than most of the dross Colin signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Almost. After the play offs.

And then we could have invested his not inconsiderable wages on someone who actually plays.

Seems pretty obvious to me. No point in having a player, however good they are (see Jack Wilshire for example) if they never play. What exactly is the point of that?

Completely pointless and a huge waste of resources 🤷*♂️
    Tomlin's old contract expired on 30th June. Why would he have stuck around for the play-offs if we weren't going to offer him a new one?

Tomlin's best period at Cardiff came under Harris and he was also our best player for that period of time. Without him we wouldn't have been in the play-offs, but without the play-offs he'd be in the starting 11 now.

Tomlin before Harris came in was not good enough to get into the first 11 despite it also being true that the first 11 not set up to bring the best out of him.