+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading The Ball , Is The End Nigh ?

Heading The Ball , Is The End Nigh ?

Listened to a debate about how it could eventually end .

It would of course see the end of long throws, change how a corner is taken ,the end of the hopeful long ball punt to ones 6ft plus striker ??

Re: Heading The Ball , Is The End Nigh ?

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here, because there are a couple of things I'm a bit dubious about.
    Firstly, it seems that they are comparing the game of 30, 40 years ago, with the game of today. The old leather footballs, and the muddy pitches of three or four decades ago, are long gone. And...
    Secondly, you'd think there would be an awful lot more 'old time' footballers being diagnosed with dementia, after a career spent heading a football. It can't be just the famous names that are affected. Why don't we hear of more? In fact, you'd think there should be hundreds, if not thousands, of ex-players suffering. Maybe there are, and we just don't get to hear about them.

It could be, perhaps, that only certain players are affected. In the same way that some people are prone to cancer, or heart disease.

Not heading a ball may enhance the game in as much greater ball control from the chest down would be the new skill set for youngsters to concentrate on and learn, an end of the crowded penalty boxes , perhaps we would see more expansive ground level passing and foot skills .

I cant think of another sport where the head is used. Can anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Chess?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate here, because there are a couple of things I'm a bit dubious about.
    Firstly, it seems that they are comparing the game of 30, 40 years ago, with the game of today. The old leather footballs, and the muddy pitches of three or four decades ago, are long gone. And...
    Secondly, you'd think there would be an awful lot more 'old time' footballers being diagnosed with dementia, after a career spent heading a football. It can't be just the famous names that are affected. Why don't we hear of more? In fact, you'd think there should be hundreds, if not thousands, of ex-players suffering. Maybe there are, and we just don't get to hear about them.

It could be, perhaps, that only certain players are affected. In the same way that some people are prone to cancer, or heart disease.
    Great post. Christ knows how they used to manage to get a good cross in if it was raining, let alone 'ed it.

Boxing when you hit it hard and straight as a target , works for me .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not heading a ball may enhance the game in as much greater ball control from the chest down would be the new skill set for youngsters to concentrate on and learn, an end of the crowded penalty boxes , perhaps we would see more expansive ground level passing and foot skills .
    That’s my worst nightmare for football.

I find the Barca, Man City type of football so boring. Give me a few decent wingers and a diving header any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

I find the Barca, Man City type of football so boring. Give me a few decent wingers and a diving header any day.
    Really? I much prefer watching players who can control the ball, show some skills, movement, pace, ideas. Sometimes it can be a bit predictable and slow, but wingers and diving headers are almost ancient history in football.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Keith Houchen (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Really? I much prefer watching players who can control the ball, show some skills, movement, pace, ideas. Sometimes it can be a bit predictable and slow, but wingers and diving headers are almost ancient history in football.
    100%. Maybe it’s because I’m no longer a football fan and only a Cardiff City fan.

I know two banks of four etc is old school but a good header or an Exocet from 30 yards over forty passes and a tap in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I’m with original post. I want to see diving headers. I want to see unpredictable chaos.

I don’t want to see footballs equivalent of paint by numbers

Can’t see it changing in my lifetime

I don't think that the end of heading the ball is coming. But I have to say, I cringe a little bit when I see a defender head back a goal kick into midfield. That can't be good for you.

NFL

Cardiff City football club would be in a right mess if heading was banned - the "big man up front" is absolutely essential even in these days when they get so little of the type of service they're supposed to thrive on.

I dont think there's a problem with heading the ball during a game, but what Geoff Hurst highlighted the other day were intensive training sessions where all they would do was head the ball repetitively. That's where the damage was done that's been recently highlighted by Bobby Charlton's diagnosis and Nobby Styles' death.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post

Since the 1950's there must have been thousands of professional footballers in the football league. Dementia affects one in 14 people over 65 and one in six over 80. That means the number of ex-professionals getting dementia in the past couple of decades would normally be in the thousands - or at least high hundreds, without factoring heading a sodden, heavy leather ball. It's an awful illness, but are old-time footballers who headed the ball a lot more likely to suffer from it ?

Just think if heading was banned from the begining there would not be Clarks goal Real Madrid no Banks save from Pele football would probably be boring.

I play 5 a side where you can't head but you can play over head height passes. You can't defend balls over the top. You'll see Vardy etc pulling into a wide channel for raked cross field balls, as the centre back can't head it clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I play 5 a side where you can't head but you can play over head height passes. You can't defend balls over the top. You'll see Vardy etc pulling into a wide channel for raked cross field balls, as the centre back can't head it clear.
    Chopra would have had 50 goal seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    NFL
    Leading with the head is banned in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Just think if heading was banned from the begining there would not be Clarks goal Real Madrid no Banks save from Pele football would probably be boring.
    No heading outside the penalty area. Would put an end to head tennis in midfield and the majority of defensive headers from kicks out by the goalie. Be interesting to see it tried.

Are there statistics that back up footballers having a higher level dementia? Even with the light balls we have now?

I hope it doesn’t go completely but if it was causing this I could see if being reduced or phased out slightly.

I think there could be alterations mate.
    Balls are always becoming softer and probably will continue so.
    Players probably head the ball twice the amount in training as they do in a game. Could limit that or get rid of it.

Could say can't kick a ball from your own half over head height for more than 40 yards unless shooting.
    Would mean an end to keepers scoring.

Maybe throw ins are replaced with passes in along the floor.