+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will/Can respect come back for differing opinions?

Re: Will/Can respect come back for differing opinions?

I think your whole Galileo point doesn't really work in this context. I honeslty think if anything it backs up what I'm saying

Be tolerent of everyone unless they are genuinley making life worse for others.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    No it isn't it's just they've only just been started to be called this by the disingenous lot who are trying to undermine progress.

You don't need to believe me, that's why these things became laws, it's all written down in black and white.
    I don't believe you, the hate laws started in 1986 with the public order act 1986

Feedback

I think your whole Galileo point doesn't really work in this context. I honeslty think if anything it backs up what I'm saying

Be tolerent of everyone unless they are genuinley making life worse for others.
    that's the point, the Church genuinely thought Galileo ws a heretic and would make life (and the after life) worse for those who listened to him

Feedback

I can accept your point on him tbh, I can also understand why he thought it was necessary to step down.

I don't think the people I'm talking about needing to shout down are in the same league, I'm talking about genuine racists/sexists/homophobes etc.

He was just a bit a berk , I can understand both points of view on his resignation.
    we have common ground here.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I don't believe you, the hate laws started in 1986 with the public order act 1986
    And you think they came to be for no reason do you?

that's the point, the Church genuinely thought Galileo ws a heretic and would make life (and the after life) worse for those who listened to him
    Yeah hence why it's not easy to judge in all circumstances but I'd say society has evolved to a point where it's much easier to spot these days. I'm not saying it's all obvious and easy but all I am saying is certain opinions don't deserve a reasoned debate because it legitamises them.

Feedback

Yeah hence why it's not easy to judge in all circumstances but I'd say society has evolved to a point where it's much easier to spot these days. I'm not saying it's all obvious and easy but all I am saying is certain opinions don't deserve a reasoned debate because it legitamises them.
    I disagree. Please read this and then tell me that debate isn't a useful tool...

perhaps it is, after all no-one is forcing me to adopt this position. But then I'm not so sensitive that I need to wear metal underwear in case my trousers rub me the wrong way.

my issue is that people get offended for the slightest things when there are far more pressing issues to worry about.
    People are stupid. They think and say stupid things. They used to keep quiet for the most part, but now that's not the case. We just have to to learn to deal with it.

I disagree. Please read this and then tell me that debate isn't a useful tool...
    It is 100% useful in the right situation, in most situations actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    As I said to Eric, your response is symptomatic of the problem. You just cannot countenance that someone disagrees with you and you feel you have to point out theirs purported failings.

If someone is offended, so what? What does it actually mean - do they develop brain cancer as a result? no, they've let words affect them. Words. If you need to grab your breathe or have a sit down after someone has referred to you in a pejorative manner, then the issue really is with you.

I'll tell you what hurts - a kick in the bollocks, watching a loved one die, having inoperable cancer. They hurt but words themselves do not. you give words whatever meaning you want and you can choose to be affected by them, or you can choose to give them the merit they deserve.

If you're easily offended then the issue is with you, and not everyone else.
    the voice of reason, all opinions are valid and subject to discussion, shutting down the views of large swathes of the population only leads to protest votes, further division and animosity, and in extreme cases a move toward tinpot dictators with little moustaches, we've seen these scenarios play out in many other nations, when you forfeit the ability to discuss ALL concerns (regardless of how sensitive they may be) you end up with tyranny, people think it can't happen here.

When you resort to petty name calling, questioning the intelligence of those you disagree with or refusing to have dialogue then people will look toward the ballot to be heard, we've seen it several times in elections recently, you cannot shut down dialogue on opinions you dont like or deem unsuitable, it's a very dangerous stance.

I totally agree with you Splott-light. We've had this attitude especially since the EU referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    First off I hold my hands up for being incredibly guilty on here, and to maybe a lesser extent on regular social media of being nasty and attacking the character of people rather than engaging in discourse.

Sometimes after a drink when I feel that I have the key to universal knowledge or when something that I have read has annoyed me to the point that I feel that I can’t but respond.

This forum though for a while has been quite open in its division and derision of others views. It reflects many others, Stoke‘s Oatcake (Eveything Else) is one that I have been lurking on for a few years as well as Boxing Forums that I used to contribute to.

Things have become very much “with us or against us” with a lot of personal barbs thrown in (which I have been guilty of).

I guess my question is...are we past the point of no return now with political/societal beliefs?

I don’t think that we’ve lived in a time like this in a few generations.
    Can anything or What can make things better for discourse and “live and let live”?

Does it matter?
    Nah I guess it doesn't matter its keyboard heroics , we all have the choice to step back or not contribute.

I always wonder though , how personal folk would be in face to face discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    I totally agree with you Splott-light. We've had this attitude especially since the EU referendum.

I've noticed how more aggressive it has became since Brexit .

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I guess my question is...are we past the point of no return now with political/societal beliefs?
    We've been past the point of no return for centuries.

There's definitely more of a "line in the sand" culture. The days of respectful debate are over sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nah I guess it doesn't matter its keyboard heroics , we all have the choice to step back or not contribute.

I always wonder though , how personal folk would be in face to face discussions.
    It's possible to look at the same point you make through a different prism. If someone in say, a Wetherspoons pub, regularly and loudly aired views about the Chinese, non-naturally born UK citizens and vulnerable young girls that you found distasteful then you could either rush over there offering them out in your pensionable years or go and have a few drinks in a different part of the pub where that kind of bollocks wasn't being uttered.

It might leave you wondering how likely the people who uttered the distasteful drivel would do so if they didn't have keyboards in the first place though!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It's possible to look at the same point you make through a different prism. If someone in say, a Wetherspoons pub, regularly and loudly aired views about the Chinese, non-naturally born UK citizens and vulnerable young girls that you found distasteful then you could either rush over there offering them out in your pensionable years or go and have a few drinks in a different part of the pub where that kind of bollocks wasn't being uttered.

It might leave you wondering how likely the people who uttered the distasteful drivel would do so if they didn't have keyboards in the first place though!
    Glad I don't drink in Wetherspoons any longer thanks for the tip .