+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: MILLWALL 1 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: MILLWALL 1 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

I’ve been out this afternoon. Had talkSPORT on the radio. They mentioned our game when Millwall scored, confirmed the half time score and mentioned that Kieffer had levelled.

Then read the score out when the did the results.

That was our 8th draw from last 11 games against Millwall

Re: MILLWALL v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I know that Murphy is a frustrating player but I will be surprised if I see a better more accurate and weighted pass for the goal at any level this weekend.
    Brooks pass for Bournemouth 2nd goal today was sublime !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's how Harris sets up, and it isn't working so far this season. Three in the middle who rarely get involved in the final third. It's all about wingers and fullbacks. We look so much better when we play 5-10 yards further up the pitch, show some urgency, get players on the ball. Look how the game opened up in the final 15 minutes or so, Millwall didn't like like, they panicked a bit, lost their shape. To even that out, we could have conceded as well, but we looked a threat. Harris has got to stop being so conservative, the players aren't disciplined enough, there's mistakes in all of them, which inevitably leads to a goal.
    Harris has got to get us to win games from the word go. He's got to be brave or he is going to get sacked. If he doesn't take the bold option, he is just going to sleepwalk himself out of a job.

It was a good ball by Murphy but think we have to give a good amount of credit to Moore too for taking it on so well, getting ahead of the defenders and getting a shot on target. Murphy also produce a nice cut-back for the Wilson chance so maybe, hopefully, we're going to now see him do that over a couple of games and give us another player who can change the game.

I know Harris is under a lot of pressure and the squad is not the deepest, in terms of consistent performers and/or established talent, but I am starting to become wary of whether he's managing the hectic schedule well enough given that only two subs were made when some have already played a lot of football - and I wonder if that's why Morrison and Nelson conceded so easily, and then left Millwall a good chance at the end to take three points, when they're usually so solid.

Seems I'll be in the minority, but I think we're played OK today. It's a cliche, but this is a side in transition. Still too many static players, and I still don't rate Nelson. Glatzel not clever enough with the ball at his feet, which is a shame, because it leaves us with fewer goalscoring options..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Seems I'll be in the minority, but I think we're played OK today. It's a cliche, but this is a side in transition. Still too many static players, and I still don't rate Nelson. Glatzel not clever enough with the ball at his feet, which is a shame, because it leaves us with fewer goalscoring options..
    We looked better after we scored and created some good chances, but Millwall still had the best opportunity to win the game when their player was 1 on 1 with Smithies.

This team are ponderous in possession, play with no pace and spend most of the time passing the ball around in the middle third. If this is a tactic to draw teams out it clearly doesn’t work and bores me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I don't think Nelson has played well this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Yes , he looked good back end of the season , hopefully he is still developing , up and downs come with that gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Harris has got to get us to win games from the word go. He's got to be brave or he is going to get sacked. If he doesn't take the bold option, he is just going to sleepwalk himself out of a job.
    Couldn't agree more. There's a fair bit of impetus when we attack and press, it does leave a bit of space in behind, but so what, we look like scoring when we show urgency and attack second balls etc. Sleepwalk himself out of a job, great analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He's way off. He sometimes looks like he lacks a bit of confidence, his touch isn't great either.

He's way off. He sometimes looks like he lacks a bit of confidence, his touch isn't great either.
    He did make a great block in the last 10 minutes but if you watch his movement for the Milwall goal, he created the space for Smith to get the impetus for his leap rather than blocking it.

Couldn't agree more. There's a fair bit of impetus when we attack and press, it does leave a bit of space in behind, but so what, we look like scoring when we show urgency and attack second balls etc. Sleepwalk himself out of a job, great analogy.
    We have only been ahead in 3 of the 12 games played so far. If you were looking for a positive every time we go ahead we stay that way I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes , he looked good back end of the season , hopefully he is still developing , up and downs come with that gig.
    he's 27 already, not sure how much more developing he's going to do

He did make a great block in the last 10 minutes but if you watch his movement for the Milwall goal, he created the space for Smith to get the impetus for his leap rather than blocking it.
    Yeah, the other problem with his defending was that he was flat footed and square on, he put himself in a position where he couldn't even make things difficult for the bloke who scored the goal. Static. I'll pick up on the cross as well, nobody busting a gut to stop the delivery, the millwall player had time to light a cigar.

We have only been ahead in 3 of the 12 games played so far. If you were looking for a positive every time we go ahead we stay that way I suppose
    That's something i suppose. I can't work out what Harris is trying to do. At least with Warnock it was give up possession, defend on the 18 yard line and try and hit teams on the break. It was pretty shit for the most part, but we sort of knew what to expect. Harris starts slow, conservative, shape seems to be everything to him, he defends the middle of the park with his life, no penetration through the middle. Fullbacks and wingers it seems. Bacuna can press, and ralls, even pack can get involved in the final third, they're not brilliant, but certainly not shit at this level. When we decide to play a little higher players like Moore and Wilson become more effective and our wide players can become more narrow.

That's something i suppose. I can't work out what Harris is trying to do. At least with Warnock it was give up possession, defend on the 18 yard line and try and hit teams on the break. It was pretty shit for the most part, but we sort of knew what to expect. Harris starts slow, conservative, shape seems to be everything to him, he defends the middle of the park with his life, no penetration through the middle. Fullbacks and wingers it seems. Bacuna can press, and ralls, even pack can get involved in the final third, they're not brilliant, but certainly not shit at this level. When we decide to play a little higher players like Moore and Wilson become more effective and our wide players can become more narrow.
    I agree he is risk averse. I was clumsily trying to say that with a bit less caution in the first 20 we seem to have a record of looking after leads. But not with that formation. Harry Wilson needs to be in central left or right midfield positions not isolated on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    We looked better after we scored and created some good chances, but Millwall still had the best opportunity to win the game when their player was 1 on 1 with Smithies.

This team are ponderous in possession, play with no pace and spend most of the time passing the ball around in the middle third. If this is a tactic to draw teams out it clearly doesn’t work and bores me to tears.
    I hate the new offside law. Parrott is offside, goes towards the ball and he's interfering with play.

I agree he is risk averse. I was clumsily trying to say that with a bit less caution in the first 20 we seem to have a record of looking after leads. But not with that formation. Harry Wilson needs to be in central left or right midfield positions not isolated on the wing.
    Wilson definitely needs to play central.

Wilson definitely needs to play central.
    Moore - Wilson - Ralls - Morrison - Smithies is the spine. Build the team around it.

2020-11-21-millwall-cardiff.jpg

once again we've drawn a game we had the better of

I hate the new offside law. Parrott is offside, goes towards the ball and he's interfering with play.
    I actually thought that it was good play (on their part) in that Parrott purposely left the ball for the player running onto it (so a bit like a dummy, but as you say he influenced the move) and poor play by our defenders to stop for the offside.

Is that part of the new interpretation of the offside law (I thought that it only affected VAR games where they let the game play on for 29 mins before blowing)? I’m not sure that it is. But someone on here will correct me I’m sure! 👍

I actually thought that it was good play (on their part) in that Parrott purposely left the ball for the player running onto it (so a bit like a dummy, but as you say he influenced the move) and poor play by our defenders to stop for the offside.

Is that part of the new interpretation of the offside law (I thought that it only affected VAR games where they let the game play on for 29 mins before blowing)? I’m not sure that it is. But someone on here will correct me I’m sure! 👍
    I haven't a clue, but what I do know is that our defence is looking distinctly shaky, something that we are not used to.

Is that part of the new interpretation of the offside law (I thought that it only affected VAR games where they let the game play on for 29 mins before blowing)? I’m not sure that it is. But someone on here will correct me I’m sure! ��

Reminded me of Luton’s winner in the FA CUP tie at Ninian Park in the 90’s

Moore - Wilson - Ralls - Morrison - Smithies is the spine. Build the team around it.
    Smithies

Bacuna Morrison Benkovic Bennett

Ralls Pack

Ojo Wilson Murphy

Moore

I'd quite like to see that (JOT back in when fit obviously), Harris has been far too conservative so far this season. We have the talent to punish teams (as is evidenced by our regular onslaught in the last 20 or so minutes), he needs to take the shackles off or it'll cost him his job