+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vassell

Re: Vassell

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    If that were the case, the club would have let it be known by now. That kind of deal would have represented a shrewd bit of dealing by the club. Given light of Vassell's prolonged absence and speculation about a possible high salary, the club would be quick to point out that they had not taken a big financial hit by his signing.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    If that were the case, the club would have let it be known by now. That kind of deal would have represented a shrewd bit of dealing by the club. Given light of Vassell's prolonged absence and speculation about a possible high salary, the club would be quick to point out that they had not taken a big financial hit by his signing.
    Why would they release private details of a players contract ?. Thats not something they do. It isn't the club speculating about his contract, fee or wages. It is a number of ‘know all’ fans. It was announced as an an ‘undisclosed fee’ for a reason. He is obviously injury prone and his signing was a gamble but so what ? It could have come off.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This is too good
    So, come on then, how much was his transfer fee, what are they paying him. No idea ? I thought so. Know all.

Awful signing, hardly difficult to predict either.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why would they release private details of a players contract ?. Thats not something they do. It isn't the club speculating about his contract, fee or wages. It is a number of ‘know all’ fans. It was announced as an an ‘undisclosed fee’ for a reason. He is obviously injury prone and his signing was a gamble but so what ? It could have come off.
    Jesus Christ, no wonder you get so much stick on here!

So, by your way of thinking, perhaps a club shouldn't disclose how long a contract is for, because that would be 'private', right? There are things related to a player's contract which are obviously not for disclosure, salary being the main one. But certain terms of contract have always been out there - a 'pay-as-you-play' arrangement being one example.
    The player's agent would look for it to be known he is on such a contract, in the hope that another club would come in with a better offer of a more secure deal.

It is very easy to criticise a player or a club for signing him in the first place, if you don't have any true facts about how much he cost or how much he is being paid. For all you lot know, bearing in mind his previous injury, he could be on a pay as you play deal and the transfer fee was probably structured based on appearances and/or goals scored. In which case he will so far have cost us very little.
    After Vassell had scored the winner against Luton on his debut, Hatters boss Graeme Jones told the press: "At one stage, he was coming here (Luton). But other clubs got involved and we were unable to compete financially."

Before City had actually signed Vassell, Jones said: "Cardiff have financially gone out on a limb for him and that’s obviously how it is."

https://thelutonian.com/cardiff-have...ys-luton-boss/

Luton were very keen to sign him, Swansea were keen to sign him, Middlesbrough had previously been interested but had dropped out of the race due to the cost and fears about his injury record, Birmingham couldn't afford to keep him, and yet you seem to seriously believe Vassell's deal with Cardiff (a three-year contract, no less) could be on a pay-as-you-play basis and he might have been a very cheap signing.

You don't really think these things through, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    After Vassell had scored the winner against Luton on his debut, Hatters boss Graeme Jones told the press: "At one stage, he was coming here (Luton). But other clubs got involved and we were unable to compete financially."

Before City had actually signed Vassell, Jones said: "Cardiff have financially gone out on a limb for him and that’s obviously how it is."

https://thelutonian.com/cardiff-have...ys-luton-boss/

Luton were very keen to sign him, Swansea were keen to sign him, Middlesbrough had previously been interested but had dropped out of the race due to the cost and fears about his injury record, Birmingham couldn't afford to keep him, and yet you seem to seriously believe Vassell's deal with Cardiff (a three-year contract, no less) could be on a pay-as-you-play basis and he might have been a very cheap signing.

You don't really think these things through, do you?
    Some thought hevess worth a punt unless everyone ls a fecking bulshitter

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Some thought hevess worth a punt unless everyone ls a fecking bulshitter
    Try again.

Watched Vassell have to come off in u23 game he played a few months ago, burst into tears and Harris had to comfort him. He seems to really care at least.

Er, haven't you placed yourself in the same category as these "know all" fans by speculating on Vassell being on a pay as you play deal when I'm not aware of anything to give that claim any legitimacy from either party?

Also, you talk of people criticising the player. Clearly, with an injury record like his, he is going to attract the occasional derogatory comment, but I've not seen or heard a great deal of criticism of him from City fans - if anything, I'd say there's been a degree of sympathy. That's certainly what I felt early earlier this year I believe it was in an under 23 match when I saw Vassell attempting a comeback - he lasted about twenty minutes and then broke down. It was so sad to see his frustration and hurt because he appeared to know that it was back to square one for him, you would have needed a heart of stone not to feel sorry for him at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Try again.
    Some managers thought he was worth a punt unless it was all media /agent bullshit 😇

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Er, haven't you placed yourself in the same category as these "know all" fans by speculating on Vassell being on a pay as you play deal when I'm not aware of anything to give that claim any legitimacy from either party?

Also, you talk of people criticising the player. Clearly, with an injury record like his, he is going to attract the occasional derogatory comment, but I've not seen or heard a great deal of criticism of him from City fans - if anything, I'd say there's been a degree of sympathy. That's certainly what I felt early earlier this year I believe it was in an under 23 match when I saw Vassell attempting a comeback - he lasted about twenty minutes and then broke down. It was so sad to see his frustration and hurt because he appeared to know that it was back to square one for him, you would have needed a heart of stone not to feel sorry for him at that moment.
    Absolutely.

Some managers thought he was worth a punt unless it was all media /agent bullshit ��
    Undoubtedly. He's clearly a promising player when fit, which unfortunately is very rarely. Warnock decided to take a punt, but it didn't pay off. However, the notion that it was a cheap punt, as dml1954 claims, is clearly nonsense based on all of the available evidence.

Some managers thought he was worth a punt unless it was all media /agent bullshit ��
    I'm sure they did, his record when fit suggests he could be a good player at this level, but I don't see that as the issue here - the name of the player Neil Warnock recently said the Cardiff Board wouldn't sign after he'd recommended him escapes me at the moment, but maybe we could have got him if Warnock had not gambled on players with injury and fitness records like Vassell and Tomlin.

As you say, Vassell was a "punt" and, as such, Neil Warnock is hardly in a position to aim digs at City's Board after the way he was backed when signing the player.

I'm sure they did, his record when fit suggests he could be a good player at this level, but I don't see that as the issue here - the name of the player Neil Warnock recently said the Cardiff Board wouldn't sign after he'd recommended him escapes me at the moment, but maybe we could have got him if Warnock had not gambled on players with injury and fitness records like Vassell and Tomlin.

As you say, Vassell was a "punt" and, as such, Neil Warnock is hardly in a position to aim digs at City's Board after the way he was backed when signing the player.
    Ollie Watkins

Ollie Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Ollie Watkins

He cost 3m. Regardless of his wages, it was mental. His injury record was abysmal and as much as I feel sorry for the bloke, it was absolute crazy to sign him at the time.

The sense (or lack of it) of us signing him aside, you've got to feel for the guy. Imagine being talented enough to play professional football at a decent level but being unable to play more than a few games without being injured, must be incredibly frustrating and disheartening

It was Ollie Watkins, but that came across as another one of Warnock's little fibs to make himself look better than he is. He complained about not being backed enough to get him but spent over £7m on Gary Madine and Danny Ward that same season before another couple of million on Vassell, I doubt we were ever really interested in Watkins who would probably be in his second season at Weston had we signed him

I didn't speculate. You need to get your facts straight. I pointed out that he could be on a pay as he plays contract with an incentivised transfer fee for all the people criticising the club for signing him knew. There is no legitimacy for people, including you, claiming he is on an expensive contract and that the club paid an inflated fee for him. Details haven't been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He cost 3m. Regardless of his wages, it was mental. His injury record was abysmal and as much as I feel sorry for the bloke, it was absolute crazy to sign him at the time.
    How do you know we paid £3m for him ?

How do you know we paid £3m for him ?
    I'm not going to argue with you when we've won 4-0.

I didn't speculate. You need to get your facts straight. I pointed out that he could be on a pay as he plays contract with an incentivised transfer fee for all the people criticising the club for signing him knew. There is no legitimacy for people, including you, claiming he is on an expensive contract and that the club paid an inflated fee for him. Details haven't been released.
    So do you think he turned down other clubs in preference of such a deal, or was our transfer fee so large that Birmingham forced him to join us on such a deal?

how many "pay as you play" contracts have existed ever, outside the imagination of football message board posters.