+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss Ninian Park?

Do you miss Ninian Park?

Thinking of the threads on new grounds, does anyone still long for the days of watching football across the road from our new home?

I'll be honest and say there seemed to be a better atmosphere at Ninian Park when it was really going, but I suspect that was as much down to some of the fans that used to go back then. Our fan base has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years.

Otherwise, there's not much I miss about the old place at all.

Re: Do you miss Ninian Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thinking of the threads on new grounds, does anyone still long for the days of watching football across the road from our new home?

I'll be honest and say there seemed to be a better atmosphere at Ninian Park when it was really going, but I suspect that was as much down to some of the fans that used to go back then. Our fan base has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years.

Whilst I have extremely fond memories of the old place dating back to 1964, it's time was up and the not just the ground but the club itself needed modernisation.

That last game at Ninian against Ipswich was a painful watch and if anything, it made the desire to move into a more modern stadium even stronger. It was fun while it lasted but not for one moment have I regretted us moving into a new home.

Not at the end, it was a dump, out dated and falling down. But I do miss the NP of the late 60s and through the 70s where I had so many good memories. Three attempted promotion campaigns of 68/69, 69/70 and 70/71 and the Third Division campaign of 75/76. The arsenal game of 1969 with 55000+ there, Real Madrid, Hereford in 76 and the sight of Clark and Toshack , and later Tony EVans , John Buchanan, Phil Dwyer and many more.

But I love the CCS, it looked great on TV again tonight even when empty, and makes that dump down West look laughable.

No. The atmosphere sometimes (although that gets better with the passing of time), but the stadium - No.

I dread to think where we’d be as a club had we stayed in the decrepit pit and as for the national team, no words need to be said.

A tree growing out of the brickwork halfway up the back of the Grange End indicated that the fat lady was singing. As did the sight of steam rising from the al fresco breeze block communal urinal nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Massively, was a major part of my falling in love with the club. The charged atmosphere, in Block A for Bristol, Swansea, Birmingham, Ajax (few games off the top of my head) cannot be beaten. As I grow older and that kind of excitement is way too much for me, I miss it less. Would I have fallen in love with the club as much as I did in the CCS compared to Ninian? No.

I miss the terracing. Thats it really.

The CCS is a brilliant stadium.

First Team

I have some fantastic memories of games there and because I grew up watching football at NP it was a fundamental part of my football education.
    However, its time had passed and a replacement was needed. the new stadium is what was required in the modern age of football and the club would have probably gone backwards had the decision to move across the road not been taken.
    Do I miss it, no, because it was an outdated dump however I will certainly remember it .

The memories yes - if I could go back there tomorrow to watch one game - yes I would in a heartbeat.

No, it was a dump

I miss terracing and the better atmosphere it brought, wander about, stand somewhere else, bit more freedom. It was a shithole though. Always recall my first ever home game, think it was the mighty peterboro at home, night game 87/88, half time there was a splashing noise behind me and the back of my c17 jeans was getting wet. A lovely sight on looking around, huge bloke, eyes shut, having a piss, sorry butt and all that.....ah....the romance of it all.....

I mentioned in another thread that it's the nostalgia that makes people say that we shouldn't have moved from NP but let's face it, it was a natural progression to upgrade.
    It's all very well saying we could have upgraded as we went along but that was impractical for many reasons already mentioned in that thread.

The fact that the CCS location is a hundred yards away from NP we should be thankful for, West Ham and Wimbledon fans will testify to that.
    If one was an AC Milan fan they not only ground share but have to travel an hour from the pubs.

Few people like change.
    I have great memories of NP but all things considered, it's a NO from me.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I mentioned in another thread that it's the nostalgia that makes people say that we shouldn't have moved from NP but let's face it, it was a natural progression to upgrade.
    It's all very well saying we could have upgraded as we went along but that was impractical for many reasons already mentioned in that thread.

The fact that the CCS location is a hundred yards away from NP we should be thankful for, West Ham and Wimbledon fans will testify to that.
    If one was an AC Milan fan they not only ground share but have to travel an hour from the pubs.

Few people like change.
    I have great memories of NP but all things considered, it's a NO from me.
    The question wasn't, do you think we should have moved? It was do I miss Ninian Park and 100% I do miss it badly. Do I think we needed to move? Of course and anyone that thinks we didn't is a very misguided

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The question wasn't, do you think we should have moved? It was do I miss Ninian Park and 100% I do miss it badly. Do I think we needed to move? Of course and anyone that thinks we didn't is a very misguided
    Thanks for clarifying the question.
    You really are missing it aren't you :bighugsmiley:

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Thanks for clarifying the question.
    You really are missing it aren't you :bighugsmiley:

Indeed I am 🤣

If safe standing could be introduced then I think the atmosphere in the new ground would increase.

But miss NP - 100%. Do I prefer the CCS - 100%

It became a great stadium again when the Grange end was re roofed and the away fans were crammed into the corner . The Leeds game showed what a noise the place could make .

Modern football is of course a safer place but I miss Ninian Park . When Scott young leathered in that winner against Leeds the place erupted and he ran straight towards us in the lower Bob bank terracing .

It was bedlam , people were hugging random strangers , the stewards , it was a can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It became a great stadium again when the Grange end was re roofed and the away fans were crammed into the corner . The Leeds game showed what a noise the place could make .

Modern football is of course a safer place but I miss Ninian Park . When Scott young leathered in that winner against Leeds the place erupted and he ran straight towards us in the lower Bob bank terracing .

It was bedlam , people were hugging random strangers , the stewards , it was a can of worms
    I was on the grange end that night, always used to go on BB. I never heard the BB as loud as that.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I was on the grange end that night, always used to go on BB. I never heard the BB as loud as that.
    The whole ground was a zoo

NO

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A tree growing out of the brickwork halfway up the back of the Grange End indicated that the fat lady was singing. As did the sight of steam rising from the al fresco breeze block communal urinal nearby.

Added to the hazy waft of Jamaican woodbines that billowed out of the stand especially when it had a roof

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I don’t miss the ground. It had a lot of problems as a stadium but I really do miss them memories.

I just read that again and it sounds counter intuitive but ....

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I was there - what a night! One of my all-time endearing memories of NP. I thought I might have a heart attack at one point such was the atmosphere.