Will We Be Going To Baku?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...mselves-cannot

Barney Ronay thinks we shouldn't be.

Re: Will We Be Going To Baku?

Can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Can't see it happening.
    For the reasons in the article or because Covid-19 will still be going on?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    For the reasons in the article or because Covid-19 will still be going on?
    The competition's experimental format is the worst option possible if fans are to attend games all around Europe (and indeed beyond the Caucasus) and the country's internal conflict threatens security to boot. Not a great combination.

Mustn't happen too dodgy for everyone

I'm sure most fans will put aside its political and humanity worries in the quest for a few beers , good old boys trip and a footy game .

Nope, not me personally no way hose A.
    There will be die hards who will if it does go ahead but shirley common sense will prevail.

All games in the UK including the CCS. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Nope, not me personally no way hose A.
    There will be *die hards* who will if it does go ahead but shirley common sense will prevail.

All games in the UK including the CCS. Simples.
    Never has the term "die hards" been more appropriate. You'd have to be stupid to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Never has the term "die hards" been more appropriate. You'd have to be stupid to travel.
    That is a bit harsh. Just because you wouldn’t go doesn’t make people who are more adventurous ’stupid’.

🤷*♂️

https://www.theguardian.com/football...mselves-cannot

Barney Ronay thinks we shouldn't be.
    Baku, and then potentially Qatar. No thanks to either. Please wake me up when it's time to go to Germany!

If there any bus trips with wrap around hotel stays feel free to share .

And the Turkey fixture could prove to be heated given they border Azerbaijan and backed them militarily to help win the conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    And the Turkey fixture could prove to be heated given they border Azerbaijan and backed them militarily to help win the conflict.

Turkey doesn't border Azerbaijan, it borders Armenia

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I take your point and don't really disagree but technically speaking there is an Azeri enclave in Armenia which does have a very small border with Turkey. Whatever the geographic technicalities they are close by and firm allies and so I assume the locals will firmly back the Turks against us.

Covert operation join the Azerbaijan Army cross border, hide uniforms in bushes ( real ones ) and repeat on return , simples .

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That is a bit harsh. Just because you wouldn’t go doesn’t make people who are more adventurous ’stupid’.

🤷*♂️
    Turn of phrase, should have said, "I think they'd be stupid to travel for the sake of a football match", they can do what they like.

That's Christmas for you.

International

I take your point and don't really disagree but technically speaking there is an Azeri enclave in Armenia which does have a very small border with Turkey. Whatever the geographic technicalities they are close by and firm allies and so I assume the locals will firmly back the Turks against us.
    Most football lovers in Azerbaijan are somewhat like our plastics, they support either Galataseay or Fenerbrache. When they play each other in the league you can't move in the centre of Baku for flag wielding fans. But I doubt that would translate to the national team at all. I never saw it.

Its going to be without fans so just play the whole thing in one country.

There is martial law in Baku at the moment with a 9pm curfew. That said an international agreement has been agreed with Armenia, co-signed by Russia as peacekeepers in the troubled region. With Covid it isn't a place I would venture to now.

That said I was there for the qualifying game this time last year and Baku is a pretty relaxed place on the surface at least and an enjoyable place to visit.

Come June, all things being equal, you are probably at greater risk of something untoward happening to you in Rome generally, and at the match specifically than if you venture to Azerbaijan.

I've been looking forward to my trip to Baku and then Rome. The fighting has been in Nagorno-Karabakh, the other side of the country from Baku, so I was hoping that it will be safe to travel and that we will all have Covid-19 vaccinations by then.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    There is martial law in Baku at the moment with a 9pm curfew. That said an international agreement has been agreed with Armenia, co-signed by Russia as peacekeepers in the troubled region. With Covid it isn't a place I would venture to now.

That said I was there for the qualifying game this time last year and Baku is a pretty relaxed place on the surface at least and an enjoyable place to visit.

Come June, all things being equal, you are probably at greater risk of something untoward happening to you in Rome generally, and at the match specifically than if you venture to Azerbaijan.

International

I've been looking forward to my trip to Baku and then Rome. The fighting has been in Nagorno-Karabakh, the other side of the country from Baku, so I was hoping that it will be safe to travel and that we will all have Covid-19 vaccinations by then.
    More to thepoint, the ex-pat bars will be open again by then.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    More to thepoint, the ex-pat bars will be open again by then.

Ready to rip you off !!!!

Stick to local bars, much cheaper

International

Ready to rip you off !!!!

Stick to local bars, much cheaper
    The ex pat bars are the only bars and they don't rip you off. The locals generally don't go to pubs except to play pool.
    My buddy owns one and he has never ripped anyone off. Go to the London Bar or The Office.