+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will We Be Going To Baku?

Re: Will We Be Going To Baku?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The ex pat bars are the only bars and they don't rip you off. The locals generally don't go to pubs except to play pool.
    My buddy owns one and he has never ripped anyone off. Go to the London Bar or The Office.

It always amazes me, people travel to a foreign country and the first thing they do, is head for an Irish/Ingurlish bar !!!!!

It’s comical

Feedback

we're hardly allowed out of the house

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It always amazes me, people travel to a foreign country and the first thing they do, is head for an Irish/Ingurlish bar !!!!!

It’s comical
    In Baku all the bars in the centre cater for expats, brit US German what ever. If they relied on local custom they'd be closed in a week. When you live and work there you just naturally gravitate to where people you know go.
    But thats only for the beer, for everything else it is far better using the local shops tailors cafes restaurants etc. Lovely people for the most part. I used a tailor when I'm there. He has a little place under the stair well in an appartment block about 5 doors from the London pub.. He'd do any alterations or repairs you wanted in less than 24 hours and was so cheap it was unreal. Great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    In Baku all the bars in the centre cater for expats, brit US German what ever. If they relied on local custom they'd be closed in a week. When you live and work there you just naturally gravitate to where people you know go.
    But thats only for the beer, for everything else it is far better using the local shops tailors cafes restaurants etc. Lovely people for the most part. I used a tailor when I'm there. He has a little place under the stair well in an appartment block about 5 doors from the London pub.. He'd do any alterations or repairs you wanted in less than 24 hours and was so cheap it was unreal. Great guy.
    I’ve been there

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’ve been there
    Where? to the London pub? It may have moved lol.

I was the main suspect in a robbery in Baku a few days before Wales played away to Georgia a few years ago. I was innocent, of course - and I was eventually cleared after the Police discovered from some locals that the victim (a German-speaking Palestinian) had been rolled by some Russians after he met them in a bar. He didn't spill the beans himself as he was a Muslim and didn't want it to be known, particularly by his family, that he was frequenting bars and drinking alcohol. I had merely stayed in the same B&B overnight.
    A few days later I gave myself a challenge to hitch into Armenia (where there are few cars on the road) from Georgia and without Armenian currency, which was fun.
    And the Meetup hostess in Georgia, a poor, elderly lady with whom I did not share a common language, could see me in bed from her kitchen sink.
    It was an interesting trip all round.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Nope, not me personally no way hose A.
    There will be die hards who will if it does go ahead but shirley common sense will prevail.

All games in the UK including the CCS. Simples.
    Garden or Fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That is a bit harsh. Just because you wouldn’t go doesn’t make people who are more adventurous ’stupid’.

🤷*♂️
    I have been to places on the "red" list produced by the Foreign Office. I'd happily do it again. I won't go to America because that IS dangerous and I speak from experience of two trips that ended sooner than I hoped.

I won't go to Azerbaijan because it is oppressive. I know ex-pats who worked there, more or less blood money but can't knock people for trying to make a quick buck in a place where most are oppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I was the main suspect in a robbery in Baku a few days before Wales played away to Georgia a few years ago. I was innocent, of course - and I was eventually cleared after the Police discovered from some locals that the victim (a German-speaking Palestinian) had been rolled by some Russians after he met them in a bar. He didn't spill the beans himself as he was a Muslim and didn't want it to be known, particularly by his family, that he was frequenting bars and drinking alcohol. I had merely stayed in the same B&B overnight.
    A few days later I gave myself a challenge to hitch into Armenia (where there are few cars on the road) from Georgia and without Armenian currency, which was fun.
    And the Meetup hostess in Georgia, a poor, elderly lady with whom I did not share a common language, could see me in bed from her kitchen sink.
    It was an interesting trip all round.
    The answer to your pleas for your emoji if it was up to me would be "no way hose A", but after an adventure such as this ^^ I say "Mike, grant the cider drinking genie his one wish!"