+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A continuation of our overall league history post

Re: A continuation of our overall league history post

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Eric, without checking I assume Accrington Stanley must be one and possibly Brighton too.
    Brighton are second on the list. Accrington are 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Couldn’t hazard a guess with some of the more recent FL newbies and as someone has plumped for Brighton I’ll go for:

Wycombe, Bournemouth, Reading, Watford, Peterborough?
    Bournemouth are top. Wycombe 4th. Reading 5th. Watford 9th. Peterborough 14th.

Moodybluebird has given us Brighton in 2nd. The team in 3rd is probably a big surprise as most would consider them an established top two divisions side. Their average position is virtually identical to ours. They were almost exclusively a 3rd division team until the mid 60s, but have only had 3 seasons there since, and they have also overtaken our tally of seasons in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Moodybluebird has given us Brighton in 2nd. The team in 3rd is probably a big surprise as most would consider them an established top two divisions side. Their average position is virtually identical to ours. They were almost exclusively a 3rd division team until the mid 60s, but have only had 3 seasons there since, and they have also overtaken our tally of seasons in the top flight.
    Southampton?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Southampton?
    Close. They are 10th. They've only spent 11 seasons outside the top 2 divisions and their average position is 25th.

Palace?

Palace?
    Yes. I recall an old football annual from around 1980 claiming Palace would be the team of the 80s! I was quite surprised to discover that the Palace side that lost to Man Utd in the 1990 FA cup final replay, the team with Bright and Wright, had only just completed its 7th season in the top flight!

Yes. I recall an old football annual from around 1980 claiming Palace would be the team of the 80s! I was quite surprised to discover that the Palace side that lost to Man Utd in the 1990 FA cup final replay, the team with Bright and Wright, had only just completed its 7th season in the top flight!
    Damn, Kind of Blue beat me to it !

When I started supporting the City, Palace had just been promoted to Div 2. They used to be a perennial lower league team. They were promoted to Div 1 with Derby in 68/69 but what was most painful was the 4-0 home defeat we suffered at their hands in our first home game of the season followed up with 1-0 loss at home to Charlton a few days later. We recovered remarkably well after those setbacks and went on to have a decent season (and we later signed Bobby Woodruff from them).

Who would be the top (or bottom) five in terms of being lower than their historic average? This feels a little tougher for me to guess off the top of my head, although imagine Bolton must be a decent shout for topping that list? Sunderland? Notts County maybe?

Who would be the top (or bottom) five in terms of being lower than their historic average? This feels a little tougher for me to guess off the top of my head, although imagine Bolton must be a decent shout for topping that list? Sunderland? Notts County maybe?
    This is where there's a shortcoming in my stats. I haven't gone beyond the football league, so my stats for each team are purely from league seasons only.

Bolton are certainly the worst, 62 places currently lower than their average. Notts County would come next, 60 places lower than their average, but that doesn't take into account the few seasons in the National League (though that won't make much difference to the overall).

In terms of currrent league teams only, Grimsby, Oldham, Bradford City and Sunderland come next.

Their average position is 42nd, ours is 40th, the Jacks is 48th (revised from last week's post due to an inputting error).

At this present moment in time, the cyder drynkers are 19 places higher than their overall average.

We've been above them in the league 55 times, they've been above us 38 times. We've been in the same division 41 times.

They've been 2 divisions above us 4 times, we've been 2 divisions above them 11 times.

From 1971, they finished above us 26 times in 32 seasons up until that wonderous moment when we beat them in the playoffs. In 17 years since then, we've finished above them 16 times. The only time they finished above us during this period was in 2007/08 where they managed to blow an automatic promotion and playoff attempt within a few weeks.

Here's one for you (and anyone else):

Swansea are currently 23.5 places higher than their football league average. Which 5 sides have even higher positions than their league averages?
    Fantastic stuff.

There was a decent documentary on BT Sport regarding the 'team of the 80s' which is worth a watch. Thought big, dreamed big, then fell on their arses but their fans loved it.