+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harris on brink?

Re: Harris on brink?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Harris will be given until Christmas to turn it around, I hope he’s successful as he wants the team and Academy to be successful and he doesn’t waste money like Warnock. His signings have certainly been an improvement especially Moore,Wilson,Ojo and Tutu?
    Three of those four are loans.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Thing is that it's a results based business and constant draws or losses aren't acceptable.
    We could be doing this at a much lower cost and outlay if all we expect is mediocrity at championship level.

He's got all the best tools and facilities and he's had time to get them working but there seems to be an inability to do that. Unfortunately the only way to correct that is to consider a new manager, and that's the bottom line at this stage.

I wanted him to suceed and there's a small possibility that he might get things together over the next three games and start realising the potential which is so obviously there, but a couple more low score draws or defeats during this period and I think it's time for him to move aside .
    Unfortunately I have no confidence in the board making a decent appointment. Not enough football knowledge at higher level in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think we need to play (and this will shock you, I know) our best players in their best positions. This is why I'm really good at Football Manager with this level of insight . I think I'd give Murphy 3 games and tell him he's playing in all of them but it's hard to know what man management he needs, that could be a really bad idea! I'd have thought if anyone was going to do well without fans, it would be him!

I think we're feeling the effects of JOT being out, I'd like to see us play Bacuna and Ralls in the middle (nothing against Pack but I think Bacuna sweeping could help with the legs of the centre backs). I'd like to watch the games again because Bacuna crops up in centre mid a lot when we are chasing games. It's not something I'd enjoy doing, which is why I've not done it (and it's harder with single camera) but it definitely happened vs Millwall and against Derby. I know absolutely nothing about Benkovic bar he didn't do anything bad when we played against him vs him for Bristol City but I'd definitely consider playing him over Nelson.

We're very good when we go behind in terms of coming back and getting draws, I wish we played on the front foot a bit more. While I wouldn't put him under pressure, if we play the same way for the next 3 games then I think we really need to start thinking about his position as he doesn't seem to be learning. Normally I'd expect 6 points as a minimum from these 3, I'd snap your hands off for that now.
    The conundrum that is Murphy. There's a player i there, somewhere. He's got loads of natural ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The conundrum that is Murphy. There's a player i there, somewhere. He's got loads of natural ability.
    I like him behind the striker

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I like him behind the striker
    Has he ever played in that position? could be worth a shout. I really felt sorry for him under Warnock, he'd receive a pass, two defenders would come out and he'd have zero support, you could see it in his face that he was pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Has he ever played in that position? could be worth a shout. I really felt sorry for him under Warnock, he'd receive a pass, two defenders would come out and he'd have zero support, you could see it in his face that he was pissed off.
    Few substitute appearances in that position. Some of the goals / assists he’s made have come from that position. Ball he put through for Moore on Saturday. His goal against Boro away last season running from centre of the pitch. I wouldn’t play him there against a team sitting deep at home we need to unlock but definitely away from home on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I’ve no alter egos, or other accounts.

Shows what a clueless half wit you are!
    That's just what Tandy would say.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Somewhere along the line, the manager has to take responsibility we've won 2 I think in 10 games?
    Facts dont lie and a return of 11 points from30 is bound to be questioned!!!
    Here's a genuine question for those who believe Harris should be given more time
    At what point do you say this isn't working?
    We should be looking at 6 or 7 points from the next 3 games anything less and think the writing will be on the wall
    This is a good question - were there any responses? (I had a quick look)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    This is a good question - were there any responses? (I had a quick look)
    It's a dilemma but I cant see how you can change a manager when we've got 2 games every week till after Xmas. Having said that, lose to Swansea Town and he's a goner.

It depends. If we win the next five games, then lose to Swansea, he should be okay.
    But if it carries on like it has been, AND we lose to Swansea, well you have to wonder how long he can last.
    Then Tan will get back on the phone to Warnock, and ask him who he recommends this time....

Somewhere along the line, the manager has to take responsibility we've won 2 I think in 10 games?
    Facts dont lie and a return of 11 points from30 is bound to be questioned!!!
    Here's a genuine question for those who believe Harris should be given more time
    At what point do you say this isn't working?

We should be looking at 6 or 7 points from the next 3 games anything less and think the writing will be on the wall
    Not until we have a good replacement manager lined up or relegation looks very, very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Not until we have a good replacement manager lined up or relegation looks very, very possible.
    Replacement managers can be lined up easily (didn’t Spurs sack Poch and then announce Mourinho the next day? 😱) and I’m not sure that I’d wait until relegation looks that likely before making a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    It's a dilemma but I cant see how you can change a manager when we've got 2 games every week till after Xmas. Having said that, lose to Swansea Town and he's a goner.
    The clandestine way that football managers are hired and fired means that the club COULD get someone in very quickly. It more depends on whether a replacement deemed suitable (so, Russell Slade - lol) is available obvs.

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris says he is feeling pressure to succeed but does not fear for his job.

City have won three of their opening 12 Championship matches and are eight points off the play-off places ahead of Wednesday's trip to Coventry City.

Chairman Mehmet Dalman has said he is disappointed with the season's start after reaching the play-offs last term.

"What you're really asking is do I fear for my job at this stage? No, because I love my job," Harris said.

"Performances have been excellent but again I'm also acutely aware that football is based on results, it's a results business and I want to win.

"I do (feel pressure), but not necessarily pressure from within (the club) but pressure because I want to succeed. I want to be a winner and win games of football and be successful as Cardiff City manager."

Dalman said in October that those in charge of the club would "be very disappointed if this team isn't in the top six by January".

"It's not a gap we want, we want to be in those play-off positions and the fact that we haven't won enough games is why we are not in those play-off positions," said Harris.

"I certainly don't want that gap to get any bigger. We showed last year that I'm capable of closing a bigger gap than that but it's not a scenario that I wanted to be in this year.

"But we can't look back now we've got to look forward and it's about learning from errors we've made and we will close gap… if we keep playing like we are."

Cardiff's playing resources have been stretched by an injury to Lee Tomlin, with the forward set to be out for at least two months after undergoing groin surgery, while full-back Jordi Osei-Tutu will be sidelined for at least four weeks.

But another full-back, Greg Cunningham, is training again after a month out.

A win tonight is a must for him I think.

I don't think we would have to wait long for a replacement manager to be found in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the board haven't already started the search, in the way that these things are carried out.
    Tonight's game is a must win game and hopefully it will give us the chance to build on and create some momentum .
    I know if I was in his position I'd be setting us up to be on the front foot straight from the off

I'm surprised things have developed so quickly into a situation where Neil Harris is having to answer questions about his future and I do think that not enough allowance is being made for the fact that we don't have a proper right back and our main creative force from last season is injured and wasn't anywhere near as influential as he had been in 19/20 on the rare occasions he made it on to the pitch. In saying that, I think it's reasonable to say that Harris should have seen the right back mess coming when he was talking about wanting his full backs to be more dynamic this season - Osei-Tutu had not experienced anything like a Championship season before in his career and so it was entirely possible that there would be issues in adjusting to it.

We've got ourselves into a situation whereby if Mehmet Dalman was being serious about us having to be in the top six by Christmas, then I really do think we need at least two wins in our next three matches to take us into the run of matches we have following the game with Huddersfield in six days time - if we don't manage something like seven points from nine, can anyone see us reaching Dalman's target after this run of fixtures?

Watford A
    Stoke A
    Swansea H
    Birmingham H
    Norwich A
    Brentford H

I know if I was in his position I'd be setting us up to be on the front foot straight from the off
    Indeed. It's not only that points aren't being picked up it's the way that they set about the job. At least look good (I mean to anybody that isn't the manager) and there'd be more slack for forgiveness.

I don't think we would have to wait long for a replacement manager to be found in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the board haven't already started the search, in the way that these things are carried out.
    Tonight's game is a must win game and hopefully it will give us the chance to build on and create some momentum .
    I think that we may see that this evening, us on the front foot. Harris did it against Barnsley and it quelled a bit of the discontent. I'm expecting us to Bully Coventry, because we can, same with Barnsley.

To answer TOBW I'm not surprised that things have developed so quickly.
    Anyone could see we needed a RB and he made a choice for Tutu which is fine , but where was the back needed in case he didn't work out?
    We could have gone for Gunter as back up and to give Tuto a rest in the hectic schedule of the Championship
    We've lost Tomlin but have Harry Wilson, its swings and roundabouts.
    I've heard and seen fans say that we haven't invested in the squad, yet Luton who have nowhere near the resources that we have are well above us in the table so how have they managed?
    Brentford don't seem to be suffering from a short break after losing to Fulham in the play offs which is another excuse I've seen?
    The responsibility of the manager is to get results, the facts show that with one win in 7 or whatever it is Harris isn't doing that, if the style of football was pleasing on the eye it would afforded him some time but it isn't
    I hope we win tonight and start a good run, but I just don't think he is the right man for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm surprised things have developed so quickly into a situation where Neil Harris is having to answer questions about his future and I do think that not enough allowance is being made for the fact that we don't have a proper right back and our main creative force from last season is injured and wasn't anywhere near as influential as he had been in 19/20 on the rare occasions he made it on to the pitch. In saying that, I think it's reasonable to say that Harris should have seen the right back mess coming when he was talking about wanting his full backs to be more dynamic this season - Osei-Tutu had not experienced anything like a Championship season before in his career and so it was entirely possible that there would be issues in adjusting to it.

We've got ourselves into a situation whereby if Mehmet Dalman was being serious about us having to be in the top six by Christmas, then I really do think we need at least two wins in our next three matches to take us into the run of matches we have following the game with Huddersfield in six days time - if we don't manage something like seven points from nine, can anyone see us reaching Dalman's target after this run of fixtures?

Watford A
    Stoke A
    Swansea H
    Birmingham H
    Norwich A
    Brentford H
    All teams suffer injuries (er, look at Liverpool!) but I think that using them as some sort of an excuse for the absolutely dire football that the team has been playing is missing the point.

Whereas it hasn’t helped it isn’t the reason for the dull, one paced, unimaginative football that the team has been playing.

Tomlin papered over the cracks at the end of last season but there is no question that the squad as it is today should be performing far better than it has been.

And that all rests on Harris. No excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    All teams suffer injuries (er, look at Liverpool!) but I think that using them as some sort of an excuse for the absolutely dire football that the team has been playing is missing the point.

Whereas it hasn’t helped it isn’t the reason for the dull, one paced, unimaginative football that the team has been playing.

Tomlin papered over the cracks at the end of last season but there is no question that the squad as it is today should be performing far better than it has been.

And that all rests on Harris. No excuses.
    What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    What would you do?
    Sack the Poundland Warnock!

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Three of those four are loans.
    Yes loans are the way to go instead of wasting millions on players that don’t work out? All the teams that got promoted last season did it with good loan players and the Jacks are doing well again with their five loan players!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Sack the Poundland Warnock!
    That's not the question though, is it. What would you do if you were manager?