+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Harris doing right at Cardiff City?

Re: What is Harris doing right at Cardiff City?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    His football becomes more positive and intense when we are losing. His initial set up and style has seen us fall behind way to often this season, yet he perseveres with it. I can't for the life of me work out why. If he continues with the conservative approach which puts us in a position where we have to chase a game, then he's in trouble. Harris has some decisions to make over the coming weeks.
    I think it would be fair to say that was his approach during his initial months with us, prior to Covid. We were 8th in a table of that time period, better than we had under Warnock, still frustrating at times and inconsistent. Our post lockdown form was fantastic. We were more positive, better defensively, had a go.

Since September, we've been even less positive than we were during his first few months, until we go behind. Why are we generally so slow getting out of the blocks? That has to come from the manager and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    The football is absolute dross, the team look clueless.

We’ve failed to score in the first half in 9 of the last 10 games.

We’re all forgiving of boring football if it’s grinding out results, but Harris isn’t.

I’d love to know who thought a bloke who’s achieved nothing at this level, had his team hurtling towards relegation and was shown the door at Millwall, thought this is the guy we need to get us back to the Premier League.
    Perhaps you've answered your own question. Perhaps the board considered him a cheap punt, one that would be relatively stable for a few seasons, no promotion aspiration, not going down either. No parachute payments next season, so a dramatic drop in income. A bit like Slade, it's about cost cutting and preparing for being an average Championship side.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Perhaps you've answered your own question. Perhaps the board considered him a cheap punt, one that would be relatively stable for a few seasons, no promotion aspiration, not going down either. No parachute payments next season, so a dramatic drop in income. A bit like Slade, it's about cost cutting and preparing for being an average Championship side.
    Unlike Slade, Harris achieved play offs

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Unlike Slade, Harris achieved play offs
    Going back to Dalman's comments about expecting a top 6 finish this season, do you believe that is the board's ambition and do you think that is likely?

Going back to Dalman's comments about expecting a top 6 finish this season, do you believe that is the board's ambition and do you think that is likely?
    'Perhaps' it would be sensible to take Dalman at his word and accept that the Board do want and expect a top 6 finish with an evolution in the playing style and with a route to the first team for academy players. They may not have made the right choice (for me the jury is out - but Harris still has some credit in the bank) but I don't see a lack of ambition. The summer transfer window was unlike any in recent years - hard to compare with what went before - but the club seem to me to have backed the manager (apart from the RB weakness) whilst getting a grip on the finances and the bloated size of squad.

Over a season, at least the past couple of years, you can usually separate the top 4 in the Championship from the next 6 sides down to 10th but the difference between that latter group is never that great. However, once those sides are in the play-offs there are 270 minutes from promotion and a limited side like Cardiff can (almost) take Fulham to extra-time who can then comfortably beat Brentford themselves previously extremely unlucky not to finish in the top 2.

Think the board's ambition is to finish 5th-10th and hope we get a bit more luck on our side in the play-offs this year.

It's hard to tell what Harris is really about. He doesn't seem like a very strong character. He doesn't seem to have an obvious footballing philosophy. At times he's had us playing the ball on the floor and looking like we're going to become a decent footballing side. But then we take a couple of steps back. The team fails to impose itself on games. We just seem to let the game come to us. I can't really see us going anywhere with him. But until something obviously better comes along, I'm prepared to stick with him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's hard to tell what Harris is really about. He doesn't seem like a very strong character. He doesn't seem to have an obvious footballing philosophy. At times he's had us playing the ball on the floor and looking like we're going to become a decent footballing side. But then we take a couple of steps back. The team fails to impose itself on games. We just seem to let the game come to us. I can't really see us going anywhere with him. But until something obviously better comes along, I'm prepared to stick with him.
    Harris took over from a massive character last season and turned the season around. He deserves credit for that, and I think his character is bigger than most people think. We're definitely playing better football, don't tell the Jacks but we've had more possession than them this season . I personally think possession is a tad overrated but if you know what you're doing with it, you'll win most games if you win the possession battle. Problem is a lot of sides (like Derby for example) don't really have a plan when they get the ball. Also, if you can't pass at all, you've got no chance in the PL. Incredibly Newcastle 2020/21 have less possession than we did in 18/19! I'd stick with Harris but things have clearly got to turn around soon, especially with the teams we're playing next!

Stopped reading at Ojo better than Mendez
    Mendez scored 3 goals last season Ojo already has 2. Ojo signed from Liverpool squad Mendez from Rochdale. Yes Ojo much better than Mendez who was very overrated and sacked by club!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Mendez scored 3 goals last season Ojo already has 2. Ojo signed from Liverpool squad Mendez from Rochdale. Yes Ojo much better than Mendez who was very overrated and sacked by club!
    Mendez was injured for a fair part of last season. He still managed 7 goal contributions in 22 starts. Ojo has 3 goal contributions in 10.

Mendez more crosses, more key passes and more dribbles per game.

Also clearly better defensively.

Where they signed from is totally irrelevant so no, no he isn’t much better.

Mendez is proven at this level. Ojo isn’t.

Good signings.
    Defence play out more than before .
    Took a correct punt on Smithies being the better all round keeper .
    Appeared to get a better platform for Tomlin to apply his skills when fit .
    Invested in Nelson .
    Gave Bagan game time .
    Realised Flint and Paterson were old skool long ball impact players
    Got us a decent Centre forward
    More interesting less long direct ball .

Mendez was injured for a fair part of last season. He still managed 7 goal contributions in 22 starts. Ojo has 3 goal contributions in 10.

Mendez more crosses, more key passes and more dribbles per game.

Also clearly better defensively.

Where they signed from is totally irrelevant so no, no he isn’t much better.

Mendez is proven at this level. Ojo isn’t.
    We really miss Mendez. He was so direct, when he was good, he was unplayable.

I also think whatever went on really rattled the squad. The day after he got sacked, we got pumped by Northampton. NML would be our best out and out winger. He's also absolutely rapid and we are crying out for pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We really miss Mendez. He was so direct, when he was good, he was unplayable.

I also think whatever went on really rattled the squad. The day after he got sacked, we got pumped by Northampton. NML would be our best out and out winger. He's also absolutely rapid and we are crying out for pace.
    He gave us something different. A winger completely different to Hoilett and Murphy. Ojo is ok but does he give us anything that Hoilett or Murphy doesn’t? Tends to hold onto the ball and want to beat the man one more time a bit like Hoilett.

He gave us something different. A winger completely different to Hoilett and Murphy. Ojo is ok but does he give us anything that Hoilett or Murphy doesn’t? Tends to hold onto the ball and want to beat the man one more time a bit like Hoilett.
    I don't know if it's me, but is Hoilett more productive when he's being rotated in the squad? Now he's a regular every game, he doesn't have the zip so often.

I don't know if it's me, but is Hoilett more productive when he's being rotated in the squad? Now he's a regular every game, he doesn't have the zip so often.
    He’s been poor this season apart from the Barnsley game

He’s not doing a lot wrong or right. A solid C student that’s had a few D papers the last 2 months

Id still take him and the style he’s trying to play over the turgid tripe Warnock was playing last season.

Enough of this poncing about

This is football

There are no certainties unless you have a shed load of money and even then that is sometimes not enough

Look at Liverpool, took em decades of big spending to win the title

They must have made loads of duds signings

Harris has taken us to the play offs . A couple of wins puts us back in the chase .

Sam Hammam once said we could be bigger than Barcelona

I think some of our fans think this football club is bigger than it actually is

Look how long its taken dirty Leeds to get back to the big time

Harris , like every other manager who has ran this club has made mistakes but why are we crucifying this guy ?

I am afraid to say this is nothing new and this clubs fans turn quicker than a shark

Bluebirds