+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Harris doing right at Cardiff City?

What is Harris doing right at Cardiff City?

I read some comments from some contributors about giving Harris time, he deserves this and that after last season etc. I have no problems with those opinions.

So here goes. From people who want Harris to keep going at the club, what has he done right this season and what reasons do you have to be optimistic based on what we've seen since September? Keep the answer within the realms of what has gone on this season, so nothing about chopping and changing managers, giving him time, references to last season, unless making a valid comparison with goings on during this campaign, we're lucky to be a Championship club etc....

Basically, what is Harris currently doing that makes you think he's the right man for the future?

Re: What is Harris doing right at Cardiff City?

The only thing I can immediately think of, is bringing young players through, albeit Bagan is the only 1 so far. That is something Warnock totally failed on.
    Possibly starting to realise Murphy is better in the middle as no10?
    Apart from that, not a lot.

Signed Harry Wilson, Kiefer Moore and Osei-Tutu and has started to eliminate some of Warnock’s deadweights.

We play with the ball much more but we still look shite against teams that play the way we did under Warnock.

I feel like it’s coming but we’re still so inconsistent

In my opinion the problem is the way he sets up, it can't evolve or improve when things aren't working out for us, then we see the inevitable change when we go a goal down, it's happening regularly, which tells me that his initial set up isn't working, lacks penetration, stops players making advanced runs and is dependent on fullbacks and wingers as opposed to midfield players. The three in the middle just hold their position, no breaking the lines, no following a pass etc. It's been found out.

I believe that we could play a higher tempo game that worked on pressing as opposed to possession. We have players who are fit and a bit of pace if required, we're not that bad around the box either, we've got alittle bit of quality in Wilson and Ralls can play a bit with the wide men tucking in. Harris is to cautious. It may cost him.

RJK is the man to talk about "expected goals", so I wonder if he knows whether we're in the top six with that as Neil Harris claimed yesterday? If we are, then I'd say there are grounds for thinking that things will come right if we keep playing as we are in saying that, I find it hard to believe we are as high up as that, because we're so timid in the first half of most games we play.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    RJK is the man to talk about "expected goals", so I wonder if he knows whether we're in the top six with that as Neil Harris claimed yesterday? If we are, then I'd say there are grounds for thinking that things will come right if we keep playing as we are in saying that, I find it hard to believe we are as high up as that, because we're so timid in the first half of most games we play.
    You can tell how it's going to go after 10 minutes.

Here’s an interesting stat.....

We’ve failed to score in the first half, of nine of our last 10 games.

I’d also find it hard to believe any City manager, has drawn as many games in a 12 month period.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In my opinion the problem is the way he sets up, it can't evolve or improve when things aren't working out for us, then we see the inevitable change when we go a goal down, it's happening regularly, which tells me that his initial set up isn't working, lacks penetration, stops players making advanced runs and is dependent on fullbacks and wingers as opposed to midfield players. The three in the middle just hold their position, no breaking the lines, no following a pass etc. It's been found out.

I believe that we could play a higher tempo game that worked on pressing as opposed to possession. We have players who are fit and a bit of pace if required, we're not that bad around the box either, we've got alittle bit of quality in Wilson and Ralls can play a bit with the wide men tucking in. Harris is to cautious. It may cost him.
    Guess you didn’t read the question?

Are we 6 points adrift and a certainty for relegation ?

So whilst the team is clearly misfiring , what on earth are we having a go at the manager for so early in the season ?

Part B: Answer why the current Nottingham Forest manager has improved things showing focus on match play from the 80th minute onwards against Barnsley, 21/11/2020.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Guess you didn’t read the question?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

So whilst the team is clearly misfiring , what on earth are we having a go at the manager for so early in the season ?
    That's not an answer to the question. Btw, do you think that's the criteria for getting rid of a manager - being 6 points adrift and a certainty for relegation?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That's not an answer to the question. Btw, do you think that's the criteria for getting rid of a manager - being 6 points adrift and a certainty for relegation?
    I don’t think he was trying to answer the question. It read like he was responding to all those that didn’t answer the question.

Your question was about what he was doing right... it sort of implies that this shouldn’t be a negative thread

I wonder if he sees more than us in training and in players unable to respond to his style of play that NH has been a bit negative this season, especially in the first half.

He has tried to change our identity yet he knows, for example, that he is playing Bacuna out of position and that an offensive approach is too risky with the limited midfield unable to hold on to the ball long enough.

We have been less water tight defending this season and in trying to adopt a more attacking line-up with what is essentially a creative midfielder playing at RB.

He has made some good signings and though they are yet to really gel, I haven't given up hope just yet.
    I still think he could turn our draws into wins but with the way Dalman had been talking, he needs to do them sooner rather than later.

Ignoring the consequence of chopping and changing manager in such a hectic football year, I'd mark Harris as a six and a half out of ten based on what he's done this year.

Pros:

- the use of the transfer market has brought in players who have made a positive impact and removed players who were expensive and not performing as well as we needed them to, or in the case of Etheridge expensive and not getting a chance to perform.
    - the greater focus on the academy and bringing in Bagan who did well in his appearance
    - we're showing more desire to play with the ball which I think will mean we have a better chance of beating a side down to 10 men (think Fulham at home last year where we didn't show any signs of winning the game) while still showing grit enough that in our 10 men game this year we still picked up a point

Cons:

- there are only a few games where you're pointing to it as a good result
    - ditto with perfromances
    - despite instruction from above and talk in the media, I think Harris was left with a poor squad so even with improvements made it's probably a top 9 squad only. We're 4 points off that so behind where we should be.

It's very possible that there is a manager out there who can keep the pros and lessen the cons list and I would need to rely on the run to play-offs last year to say Harris is capable of being that person.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I think that is pretty obvious.

I’m surprised (but then again maybe I shouldn’t be) that you even have to ask.

Have you seen the team play recently? 🤷*♂️ And why do you think that there is so much debate?

🤦*♂️

I read some comments from some contributors about giving Harris time, he deserves this and that after last season etc. I have no problems with those opinions.

So here goes. From people who want Harris to keep going at the club, what has he done right this season and what reasons do you have to be optimistic based on what we've seen since September? Keep the answer within the realms of what has gone on this season, so nothing about chopping and changing managers, giving him time, references to last season, unless making a valid comparison with goings on during this campaign, we're lucky to be a Championship club etc....

Basically, what is Harris currently doing that makes you think he's the right man for the future?
    Signed some decent players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I’d also find it hard to believe any City manager, has drawn as many games in a 12 month period.
    You'll have to find it hard to believe.

Harris has drawn 17 games in the first year he's been in charge. Both Frankie Burrows (1st spell) and Russell Osman managed 19, Len Ashurst and Malky Mackay managed 18 in their first years in charge.

Russell Osman holds the record over a rolling 12 month period with 22 draws. Between them, Osman, Hibbitt and Burrows managed 26 draws between April 1997 and 1998. Eddie May, Jimmy Scoular, Dave Jones and Frankie Burrows from another spell, all managed 18 draws over a rolling 12 month period.

It's not the same-old same-old game after game. He's willing to adjust formation and personal in order to find the winning formula. Granted it doesn't always work. 442 worked well against Barnsley who played a back 5 but against Millwall it didn't work but he changed personnel and formation to get us the point which almost could have been 3 although it could have been 1 because we had a midfielder playing right back who went awol late on.

A thank you to the person who let me know about these figures regarding my query about expected goals- we are seventh best for expected goals scored and sixth best when it comes to conceding. I say that while agreeing that figures like these are hardly conclusive proof that we are in a false position, they do suggest we’re not as bad as some are suggesting.

https://footystats.org/england/championship/xg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A thank you to the person who let me know about these figures regarding my query about expected goals- we are seventh best for expected goals scored and sixth best when it comes to conceding. I say that while agreeing that figures like these are hardly conclusive proof that we are in a false position, they do suggest we’re not as bad as some are suggesting.

https://footystats.org/england/championship/xg
    That suggests we've scored 3 goals fewer at home than would have been expected but conceded 1 goal more. Away from home we've scored roughly what would have been expected and conceded 3 fewer than expected. That all suggests our home form should be better and that we've over achieved away from home.

We've scored 13 this season and conceded 12. Tally up the xG and we should have scored 15-16 and conceded 14. Seems like everything is as it should be. We're not conceding as many as can be expected, which is good, but aren't taking our chances, which is not so good.

7th in the xG goals for equals 15.4 goals over 12 games. The actual 7th top scorers have scored 13.
    6th in the xG goals against equals 13.7 goals over 12 games. The actual 6th lowest conceders have let in 11.

Swansea have scored 4 fewer than expected but conceded 5 fewer.

It appears that, overall, Championship sides aren't taking the chances they should.

Its my answer to the question

Its November, we are not six points adrift and heading for relegation

Harris in

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I don’t think he was trying to answer the question. It read like he was responding to all those that didn’t answer the question.

Your question was about what he was doing right... it sort of implies that this shouldn’t be a negative thread
    Eric wanted this to be a negative thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I think that is pretty obvious.

I’m surprised (but then again maybe I shouldn’t be) that you even have to ask.

Have you seen the team play recently? 🤷*♂️ And why do you think that there is so much debate?

🤦*♂️
    Well if its obvious then point it out