+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Newton

Eddie Newton

Available after being let go by Trabzonspor.

Would love to see him given a chance here should Harris go

Re: Eddie Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Super Roger Gibbins View Post

Carried him off the pitch after his final game

Not on my own , about 600 others

Bloke was a god

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Carried him off the pitch after his final game

Not on my own , about 600 others

Bloke was a god
    By 'God', you mean City had a player who could pass to another blue shirt and run about not aimlessly.

I remember him getting carried off and the pleading for him to stay and thinking "Yeah, like **** he's considering that!" Shows how desperate we were at the time.

What did he play, a dozen games?

Always amazes me about Eddie - yes he was a great played in a Crap squad - god knows why he came here but I bet he was glad when he left - played 18 games.
    Bright spot in a dour season, but a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    By 'God', you mean City had a player who could pass to another blue shirt and run about not aimlessly.

I remember him getting carried off and the pleading for him to stay and thinking "Yeah, like **** he's considering that!" Shows how desperate we were at the time.

sums it up perfectly. We had him on loan nearly 20 years ago, he played 7 or 8 games, had the ability to stay on his feet and make a pass, he could even control the ball-And he's still considered a bit of a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Always amazes me about Eddie - yes he was a great played in a Crap squad - god knows why he came here but I bet he was glad when he left - played 18 games.
    Bright spot in a dour season, but a god?
    18 games, i didn't realise it was that many.

Feedback

You couldn't eat a salad without a crouton
    Eddie Newton

You cannot wear a shirt without a suit on
    Eddie Newton

Or something like that...

He was good mates with Nathan Blake thats why he came here

Superb player , a pleasure to watch

Great days

I've just read his Wiki page
    He retired and converted to Islam due to a knee injury
    I bet he's the first person to convert to Islam because of a knee injury.

Apparently he did well as a caretaker boss but lost a few key players and got one win in 7 this year. Seems a bit harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Blakey has been touting him as a future Cardiff manager for years. The Bootroom might come back if that happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    sums it up perfectly. We had him on loan nearly 20 years ago, he played 7 or 8 games, had the ability to stay on his feet and make a pass, he could even control the ball-And he's still considered a bit of a legend.
    Nearly 30 years ago.

he's a crap manager, don't care that he had a short spell with us in the 90s, he isn't better than Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Super Roger Gibbins View Post

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    he's a crap manager, don't care that he had a short spell with us in the 90s, he isn't better than Harris
    I don't think anyone knows what he's like as a manager. He's won something in Turkey and then got sacked after they sold his best player.

After he left us when his loan spell ended he went back to Chelsea and made his debut for them. And that summer played for England Under 21s. He was with Chelsea for years as a player and then on the coaching staff. He is highly regarded as a coach by many in the game. He would be a good shout for a manager of a Championship team, I;d rather hime than Allardyce, Pardew or the like.

Warnock saves our arse , gets us promoted , he's crap , off he goes

Harris , gets us to play offs , poor start to the season , he's crap , let's get rid of him

May as well give Eddie a go ff sake

Jesus wept

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    After he left us when his loan spell ended he went back to Chelsea and made his debut for them. And that summer played for England Under 21s. He was with Chelsea for years as a player and then on the coaching staff. He is highly regarded as a coach by many in the game. He would be a good shout for a manager of a Championship team, I;d rather hime than Allardyce, Pardew or the like.
    Hes crap , the keyboard managers know whats best

Leave it up to them

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

I remember that so clearly. It was really strange him being carried off, as if we had won something 🤷*♂️

From memory he was chaired off because we were trying to show him some love and make him stay on loan for the rest of the season

What actually happened was Eddie Newton was a player of genuine quality , a cut above what most of us were used to seeing . And straight away he took to the fans and we took to him .

I remember the night we beat the Jack's in the Welsh cup with a Chris pike goal down at the vetch . Thousands of us were packed behind the goal and when the final whistle went he bombed over to the fences , climbed up them and was nearly diving in the mosh pit . He knew what it meant to us and it clearly meant a lot to him .

Quite rightly remembered by those who saw him grace the blue shirt , a genuine player of sheer class and I was glad I saw him in the short time he was with us .

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I remember that so clearly. It was really strange him being carried off, as if we had won something 🤷*♂️
    You sound like an old man with slippers

Scenes like Eddie Newton being chaired off the pitch are what football is all about

You just don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Thank **** he was mates with blakey , Newton was superb

He seems to be held in unnecessary high esteem by some Cardiff fans. Similar to Gary ONeill in a way.
    Yes they're decent players but hardly played enough games for us to be held in legendary status.