+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Clough.

Brian Clough.

We all know about his managerial exploits with forest and derby, how he pissed everyone off at Leeds etc and his idiosyncrasies. What i didn't know was that he scored 197 goals in 213 appearances for middlesbrough and 54 in 61 for sunderland, he achieved this at second division level (championship) He must've been some player.

Re: Brian Clough.

Sure his career ended early from a bad injury

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    yup, really nasty apparently, i read somewhere that he got on the booze after the injury.

He certainly didn’t lack confidence, 29 when injury finished him. Jimmy Greaves was another step up in that era though, what a finisher he was.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He certainly didn’t lack confidence, 29 when injury finished him. Jimmy Greaves was another step up in that era though, what a finisher he was.
    He was effectively finished at 27. Out for 2 years and tried to come back but the injury was too much. Retired at 29.

Manager of Derby at 32. Makes what he achieved there sound even more fantastic.

Forest winning the European Cup........proper.......back to back was an incredible achievement

What a side

Genius........... ...........

As a schoolboy, I have vague memories of him playing against City in the late fifties / early 60's when 'Boro were big rivals.

He always seemed to score and always incurred the wrath of City supporters - which he appeared to enjoy doing! Of course no-one had an idea he would go on to become a legend as a manager. Must have been quite a character.

Another prolific centre-forward from those years comes to mind - Tommy Johnston, who I recall as a Leyton Orient player but on looking at Wiki I see he played for 8 different clubs over 12 seasons scoring 256 goals in 425 appearances:

1949–1951 Kilmarnock 19 (17)
    1951–1952 Darlington 27 (9)
    1952 Oldham Athletic 5 (3)
    1952–1954 Norwich City 60 (28)
    1954–1956 Newport County 63 (46)
    1956–1958 Leyton Orient 87 (70)
    1958–1959 Blackburn Rovers 36 (22)
    1959–1961 Leyton Orient 93 (51)
    1961 Gillingham 35 (10)
    Total 425 (256)

You'll notice he was with Orient twice, scoring 121 in 180 games. Another nasty bugger, too!

Any other old-timers recall seeing these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    As a schoolboy, I have vague memories of him playing against City in the late fifties / early 60's when 'Boro were big rivals.

He always seemed to score and always incurred the wrath of City supporters - which he appeared to enjoy doing! Of course no-one had an idea he would go on to become a legend as a manager. Must have been quite a character.

Another prolific centre-forward from those years comes to mind - Tommy Johnston, who I recall as a Leyton Orient player but on looking at Wiki I see he played for 8 different clubs over 12 seasons scoring 256 goals in 425 appearances:

1949–1951 Kilmarnock 19 (17)
    1951–1952 Darlington 27 (9)
    1952 Oldham Athletic 5 (3)
    1952–1954 Norwich City 60 (28)
    1954–1956 Newport County 63 (46)
    1956–1958 Leyton Orient 87 (70)
    1958–1959 Blackburn Rovers 36 (22)
    1959–1961 Leyton Orient 93 (51)
    1961 Gillingham 35 (10)
    Total 425 (256)

You'll notice he was with Orient twice, scoring 121 in 180 games. Another nasty bugger, too!

Any other old-timers recall seeing these guys?
    I make it that Brian Clough scored five times in eight appearances against City. We played Middlesbrough six times in the league in Division 2 between 1957 and 1960 and, although he played in all of them, he only scored in one match - he got both goals down here in a 2-0 win for Boro in 57/58, but it was another centre forward who would go on to play for England, Alan Peacock, who caused all the problems with a hat trick when we were beaten 4-1 in the reverse fixture. We next came up against Clough in our first ever League Cup tie in 60/61 when he scored twice at Ayresome Park, but couldn't prevent us winning 4-3 and the final time we faced him was after his move to Sunderland when he scored one of the goals in a 2-1 defeat at Roker Park in 62/63.

Manager of Derby at 32. Makes what he achieved there sound even more fantastic.
    With Peter Taylor of course.

Interesting fact that Clough never reached the levels of success after him and Taylor split.

I read Cloughs autobiography years ago and his affection for Taylor and sadness in not speaking seemed to haunt Clough?

I think it was an ACL - treatable these days, not so much back then.

Tappy had a good scoring record as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Tapscott

Arsenal always looked after him in later life as well, great fella

For those that haven't heard it, this is a great listen. Crossley's Cloughie stories (and impressions) are excellent: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000420794384

Clough did have an impressive scoring record but is not regarded anywhere near as highly at Middlesbrough as Wilf Mannion, George Hardwick, Alan Peacock and George Camsell. Clough wanted out of Boro and eventually they acceded to one of his transfer requests and he joined local rivals Sunderland.

George Camsell,however, played 418 times for Boro scoring 325 times. In 1926/27 he scored 59 goals in 37 league games which was a record at the time. Sadly, he only held the record for one season as Dixie Dean went one better with 60.

He only won 9 caps for England but managed to score 18 times giving him the record for the highest goals to game ratio for any England International. Playing at the same time as Dixie Dean limited his international appearances.

A true Middlesbrough legend

"I chinned him.." Danny Malloy Centre Half Cardiff City 1958

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I make it that Brian Clough scored five times in eight appearances against City. We played Middlesbrough six times in the league in Division 2 between 1957 and 1960 and, although he played in all of them, he only scored in one match - he got both goals down here in a 2-0 win for Boro in 57/58, but it was another centre forward who would go on to play for England, Alan Peacock, who caused all the problems with a hat trick when we were beaten 4-1 in the reverse fixture. We next came up against Clough in our first ever League Cup tie in 60/61 when he scored twice at Ayresome Park, but couldn't prevent us winning 4-3 and the final time we faced him was after his move to Sunderland when he scored one of the goals in a 2-1 defeat at Roker Park in 62/63.
    Thanks for the information, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Tappy had a good scoring record as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Tapscott

Arsenal always looked after him in later life as well, great fella
    My memory of Tapscott is an abiding one.

When playing for Newport County (second string) in a pre-season affair at Somerton - in probably 63/64, so I'd previously been a schoolboy fan of the great man - I was a midfielder assigned to keep him quiet. Clearly it was just a run-out for the Welsh international but I was keen as mustard to make an impression and felt I'd had had some success in sticking close to him and challenging at every opportunity. I was on his shoulder awaiting a City goal kick and determined to get to the ball first if it came our way, which it did.

He'd clearly had enough of this pesky youngster and as I moved in, his elbow came up and cracked me hard under my chin, leaving me in a heap on the ground and him spinning away with the ball. Nothing was said but I remember kept a discreet distance for the remainder of the game.

When playing for Newport County (second string) in a pre-season affair at Somerton - in probably 63/64, so I'd previously been a schoolboy fan of the great man - I was a midfielder assigned to keep him quiet. Clearly it was just a run-out for the Welsh international but I was keen as mustard to make an impression and felt I'd had had some success in sticking close to him and challenging at every opportunity. I was on his shoulder awaiting a City goal kick and determined to get to the ball first if it came our way, which it did.

He'd clearly had enough of this pesky youngster and as I moved in, his elbow came up and cracked me hard under my chin, leaving me in a heap on the ground and him spinning away with the ball. Nothing was said but I remember kept a discreet distance for the remainder of the game.
    Nice story, not many people can say that they played against derek tapscott. Old pro's are like lions playing with their cubs when it comes to playing against eager youngsters. They'll let you get away with a bit, but don't get to confident or try taking the piss as you'll get a paw to the head, pretty much like you did!

Great story

In his later years, spent many a morning having a cuppa with Tappy at his home in Pantmawr. Wonderful stories from a wonderful man.

Always praising Arsenal

Very nearly manager of Wales,if only.

He hated Bob Stokoe with a passion because Stokoe said he was faking when he suffered his injury, similar to Harland standing over Roy Keane , but Cloughie didn’t get his own back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    With Peter Taylor of course.

Interesting fact that Clough never reached the levels of success after him and Taylor split.

I read Cloughs autobiography years ago and his affection for Taylor and sadness in not speaking seemed to haunt Clough?
    Not the same beast without Taylor ,you got the feeling he could be a nasty piece of works I wonder how much that was drown to drink or depression , this is an interesting view , different times now eh ??

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/t...righton.50142/

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not the same beast without Taylor ,you got the feeling he could be a nasty piece of works I wonder how much that was drown to drink or depression , this is an interesting view , different times now eh ??

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/t...righton.50142/
    He was obsessed with loyalty. Didn't Taylor take the managerial job that clough was sacked from-isn't that why they fell out?