+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Seven decades of Cardiff City v Coventry City matches.

Seven decades of Cardiff City v Coventry City matches.

Re: Seven decades of Cardiff City v Coventry City matches.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    10s Cody McDonald

20s Captains

60s Johnny Key

All correct so far.

70s Brian Alderson

00s Richard Duffy

Anderson and Duffy are correct.

80's Trevor Peake

90's Willie Boland.

That's the lot answered correctly

That's the lot answered correctly
    While I know it's not an answer to a question set, I was surprised to find out that Jay Bothroyd turned out for Coventry in 2003 against us in the FA cup and scored the final goal in the replay. If memory serves me right, we battered them in the replay but lost 3-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    While I know it's not an answer to a question set, I was surprised to find out that Jay Bothroyd turned out for Coventry in 2003 against us in the FA cup and scored the final goal in the replay. If memory serves me right, we battered them in the replay but lost 3-0.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...6/match.sport1

Cold showers? That's the sort of thing you would have expected from Wimbledon.

I remember that goal vividly, Bothroyd on the break running clear of our defence.
    I think I watched it at the Claude

https://www.theguardian.com/football...6/match.sport1

Cold showers? That's the sort of thing you would have expected from Wimbledon.
    That rings a bell. The club denied any wrong doing, of course.....

Interesting that the article was written by Grahame Lloyd. In fact, he wrote a number of these small reports for the Guardian on both Cardiff and Swansea. At the time he was also commentating (very badly) on Real Radio. I suspect he covered this FA cup tie for RR as there are other games I remember him covering on radio that I've spotted he's written about for the Grauniad. As a newspaper, why send someone else to a game when one of your own is broadcasting it live and can write a few words afterwards? I find it slightly strange as I can't say I've really come across newspaper reports written by someone actually commentating on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I remember that goal vividly, Bothroyd on the break running clear of our defence.
    I think I watched it at the Claude
    Yes, I remember it well, just never remembered that it was Bothroyd.

That rings a bell. The club denied any wrong doing, of course.....

Interesting that the article was written by Grahame Lloyd. In fact, he wrote a number of these small reports for the Guardian on both Cardiff and Swansea. At the time he was also commentating (very badly) on Real Radio. I suspect he covered this FA cup tie for RR as there are other games I remember him covering on radio that I've spotted he's written about for the Grauniad. As a newspaper, why send someone else to a game when one of your own is broadcasting it live and can write a few words afterwards? I find it slightly strange as I can't say I've really come across newspaper reports written by someone actually commentating on the game.
    I've not heard or seen Grahame Lloyd recently on the BBC I don't believe. Like you, I was no fan of his commentary, but quite enjoyed a couple of his books - just been looking at his Twitter page, he doesn't appear to be much of a fan of the UK Government.

https://twitter.com/grahame_lloyd?lang=en

I've not heard or seen Grahame Lloyd recently on the BBC I don't believe. Like you, I was no fan of his commentary, but quite enjoyed a couple of his books - just been looking at his Twitter page, he doesn't appear to be much of a fan of the UK Government.

https://twitter.com/grahame_lloyd?lang=en
    My opinion of him has risen somewhat! Almost 20 years later it still rankles that they replaced Phil Suarez with him on Real Radio.

A few years back, Radio Wales had different commentary teams for midweek games than they did on weekends. Not quite sure what that was all about, but we had the likes of Ron Jones, Ian Brown and Lloyd providing midweek commentaries. Lloyd lasted a couple of months before not being heard again.

For me, Radio Wales have struck gold since Rob Phillips was given the lead commentary role. He's the best they've had for many a year and it's just a shame that there's not a great deal of strength below him. Poyser is decent enough.