+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Re: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

It’s down to taste - without thinking too long about this - I like Alien Ant farms version of Smooth Criminal over the Michael Jackson original. Simon and Garfunkel Sound of Silence is a classic but I also like The Disturbed version. And Tears of a Clown by The Beat is a fun update of the Smokey Robinson version

Stairway to Heaven...by Rolf Harris

Street Fighting Man - Oasis

Believe - DMA's

I am the Walrus - Oasis

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    "Raspberry Beret" by the Hindu Love Gods is miles better than the original.

But I have a theory about this subject: I reckon that if you hear a cover and don't know that it is a cover at the time of first hearing it, and only find out subsequently, it is highly unlikely that you will ever prefer the original. Discuss.
    I had All Tomorrow’s Parties by Japan in my singles collection for years and then discovered about 20 years later that it was on the first Velvet Underground album.

Your theory doesn’t apply to me 😜

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not a cover version.
    Depends

Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (I believe rated the best cover ever, some years back. Willie Nelson does a superb alternative mellow style cover as well).

Respect - Aretha Franklin

Can’t get Used To Losing You - The Beat

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper

Over The Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I Love Rock n’ Roll - Joan Jett

MacArthur Park - Donna Summer

Proud Mary - Tina Turner

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Valerie - Amy Winehouse

Those Were The Days - Mary Hopkin

Can’t Help Falling in Love With You - UB40

Johnny Was - An SLF classic. I love Marley’s version too but Fingers version is so so good. Fantastic live too

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (I believe rated the best cover ever, some years back. Willie Nelson does a superb alternative mellow style cover as well).
    Willie Nelson The Scientist

Valerie - Amy Winehouse
    Not for me, prefer The Zutons.
    I thought this was good:
    https://youtu.be/H4xYTspgC4M

Gary Jules (?) mad world

Florence and the Machine you've got the love (standing well back)

forgot about this one - Believe DMA's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmwFnoMoDDg

Can't Get To You
    Original by the Temptations-

Much better cover by The Jess Roden Band (skip to 6 mins - though the first track is good, too)-

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I had All Tomorrow’s Parties by Japan in my singles collection for years and then discovered about 20 years later that it was on the first Velvet Underground album.

Japan's I second that emotion I loved and, although Smokey Robinson's is a classic, the saxophones on this make it 👌

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The Bobby Fuller Four's hit version of I Fought The Law is considerably better than the original by the Crickets, but the later cover by the Clash is better still.

Siouxsie & the Banshees' version of Dear Prudence is much better than the Beatles' original. Their version of Helter Skelter is also superior (in my opinion at least....).

I prefer Blancmange's cover of Abba's the Day Before You Came, but they're both great.

Bowie's version of China Girl is a good deal better than Iggy's original.

The Damned's cover of Eloise is better than Barry Ryan's original, although that's also quite decent.

The Pretenders' cover of I Go To Sleep is better than the Applejacks recording or the Kinks original (but that was just a demo).
    Heard it on R2 the other day reminding me of how good that song is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    But I have a theory about this subject: I reckon that if you hear a cover and don't know that it is a cover at the time of first hearing it, and only find out subsequently, it is highly unlikely that you will ever prefer the original
    This might apply if you liked the song when you first heard it but not if you didn't.

Here's an exception (in addition to the Scissor sisters one already mentioned ) Ramones' version of Baby I love you was a banger, loved it, but the Ronettes I heard afterwards and is better IMO.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Jimmy Nail's version of Rose Royce's Love Dont Live Here Anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Not a patch on the original Denise by Randy & The Rainbows
    But did they have a pouting, mini skirted, filthy looking Debbie Harry singing it? .......I rest my case

Johnny Was - An SLF classic. I love Marley’s version too but Fingers version is so so good. Fantastic live too
    Classic, one of the best SLF songs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Classic, one of the best SLF songs ever.
    Agree - and also agree fantastic live, still a great live band

Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    But did they have a pouting, mini skirted, filthy looking Debbie Harry singing it? .......I rest my case
    Quite - however wrong it may be, it is VERY difficult NOT to consider that when listening to Blondie's version......

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    This might apply if you liked the song when you first heard it but not if you didn't.

Here's an exception (in addition to the Scissor sisters one already mentioned ) Ramones' version of Baby I love you was a banger, loved it, but the Ronettes I heard afterwards and is better IMO.
    Of course - that is the basis of my theory.

The Ronnette's version will never be bettered - just brilliant. Don't you ever think that some songs are SO good that there should be a 'cover-protection order' placed on them?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Japan's I second that emotion I loved and, although Smokey Robinson's is a classic, the saxophones on this make it 
    Agree with that. But when you hear the original it makes you realise what a truly great record it is.

How did I miss this one!

Great suggestion - and very true.