+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Re: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Coincidentally, I just came across this yesterday. It's so bad I don't even know what to say. See how long you can last.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    This might apply if you liked the song when you first heard it but not if you didn't.

Here's an exception (in addition to the Scissor sisters one already mentioned ) Ramones' version of Baby I love you was a banger, loved it, but the Ronettes I heard afterwards and is better IMO.

Personally, I thought The Ramones version was far better (can’t believe I missed it off my list).

Japan's I second that emotion I loved and, although Smokey Robinson's is a classic, the saxophones on this make it 👌
    One of my favourite covers. Seemed an unusual choice for Japan at the time but it turned out to be a beautiful version.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Personally, I thought The Ramones version was far better (can’t believe I missed it off my list).
    It's close

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Coincidentally, I just came across this yesterday. It's so bad I don't even know what to say. See how long you can last.
    Was going to switch it off as soon as he opened his mouth but then I thought this is a parody and the band members are doing brilliantly keeping straight faces.

Then at the instrumental part you realise they're serious.

I'm scarred!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Of course - that is the basis of my theory.

The Ronnette's version will never be bettered - just brilliant. Don't you ever think that some songs are SO good that there should be a 'cover-protection order' placed on them?
    After the rendition of Comfortably numb posted yesterday, I think the scissor sisters should be banned from all recording studios

Might be breaking some unwritten rule here, but Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven, that they performed at a Led Zeppelin tribute is something else.

https://youtu.be/LFxOaDeJmXk

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Might be breaking some unwritten rule here, but Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven, that they performed at a Led Zeppelin tribute is something else.
    I discovered Heart's mid to late-Seventies catalogue this time last year after watching the Virgin Suicides. The soundtrack includes their first US hit - Magic Man from 1975. That and Barracuda are quite brilliant singles and the first couple of albums are great too. I genuinely had no idea this stuff existed until a year ago - my knowledge of Heart was confined to their big mid-Eighties hits.

Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (I believe rated the best cover ever, some years back. Willie Nelson does a superb alternative mellow style cover as well).

Respect - Aretha Franklin

Can’t get Used To Losing You - The Beat

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper

Over The Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I Love Rock n’ Roll - Joan Jett

MacArthur Park - Donna Summer

Proud Mary - Tina Turner

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Valerie - Amy Winehouse

Those Were The Days - Mary Hopkin

Can’t Help Falling in Love With You - UB40
    The originals of MacArthur Park and Tainted Love are far superior to the covers!

Weller’s version of Thinking of You is a work of sheer beauty compared to the Rose Royce original, in fact it’s probably my favourite track he’s done solo.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The originals of MacArthur Park and Tainted Love are far superior to the covers!
    Compare the sales, the public would disagree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The Bobby Fuller Four's hit version of I Fought The Law is considerably better than the original by the Crickets, but the later cover by the Clash is better still. Agreed

Siouxsie & the Banshees' version of Dear Prudence is much better than the Beatles' original. AgreedTheir version of Helter Skelter is also superior (in my opinion at least....).Nowhere near as good

I prefer Blancmange's cover of Abba's the Day Before You Came, but they're both great. Blancmange's version is much better

Bowie's version of China Girl is a good deal better than Iggy's original.No contest, Bowie's is much better

The Damned's cover of Eloise is better than Barry Ryan's original, although that's also quite decent.Agreed

The Pretenders' cover of I Go To Sleep is better than the Applejacks recording or the Kinks original (but that was just a demo). Agreed, hadn't heard this for ages
    ^^

The Damned truth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPgLk6hxGk
    cover of the kinks song.
    and shes one horny bitch

https://youtu.be/fcMAM9B7yAA

Better than Kate Bush imo.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    https://youtu.be/fcMAM9B7yAA

Better than Kate Bush imo.
    It's a great version and worthy of a mention on here but I have to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Weller’s version of Thinking of You is a work of sheer beauty compared to the Rose Royce original, in fact it’s probably my favourite track he’s done solo.
    I prefer The Jam version of Move on Uo to the Curtis Mayfield original

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    The Damned truth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPgLk6hxGk
    cover of the kinks song.
    and shes one horny bitch
    Like^^

How could I forget a song that my wife and I consider to be 'OUR' song inasmuch as when it is played we always dance to it. Don't leave me this way by the Cummunards. A song always guaranteed to fill a dance floor.

Northern Soul fans may disagree but I prefer Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Northern Soul fans may disagree but I prefer Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love
    Good shout, me too.

Soft Cell's Non Stop erotic Cabaret one of the best albums of the 80's IMO.

"What" is a banger as is "Torch".

Good shout, me too.

Soft Cell's Non Stop erotic Cabaret one of the best albums of the 80's IMO.

"What" is a banger as is "Torch".
    David Grays cover of say hello wave goodbye was terrific.

The Passenger. Was going to let this go but...Siouxsie is no match for iggy live in Manchester 1977. The one with his tail. Helped up by roadies to the mic. While you’re there Lust for life same gig is great too. Stooges playing quick just in case...

Compare the sales, the public would disagree with you!
    Thats a very bizarre argument to use to judge quality and seriously flawed.