+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

The "songs you don't like" thread had something in there which I had to stop myself from replying to as was off topic but then thought deserves a thread of its own.
    Red Red wine by UB40 was put forward as a "don't like" which I have to agree was awful (UB40 were a popular band at the time) and I think it was No. 1 in the "hit parade" for a while but nowhere near as good as Neil Diamond's.

Conversely, there were songs I grew up with and only later found out that they were covers, some better than their originals.
    One I immediately think of is State of Independence by Donna Summer.
    I loved the original by Jon and Vangellis but I the late Donna's when I first heard it blew the original out of the water.

Any others?

Re: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The "songs you don't like" thread had something in there which I had to stop myself from replying to as was off topic but then thought deserves a thread of its own.
    Red Red wine by UB40 was put forward as a "don't like" which I have to agree was awful (UB40 were a popular band at the time) and I think it was No. 1 in the "hit parade" for a while but nowhere near as good as Neil Diamond's.

Conversely, there were songs I grew up with and only later found out that they were covers, some better than their originals.
    I loved the original by Jon and Vangellis but I the late Donna's when I first heard it blew the original out of the water.

Any others?
    I like Jealous Guy by John Lennon but he's pipped at the post by Roxy Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    I like Jealous Guy by John Lennon but he's pipped at the post by Roxy Music.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Any others?

"Raspberry Beret" by the Hindu Love Gods is miles better than the original.

But I have a theory about this subject: I reckon that if you hear a cover and don't know that it is a cover at the time of first hearing it, and only find out subsequently, it is highly unlikely that you will ever prefer the original. Discuss.

Kevin Whitely original version of When you say nothing at all, far far better than Roman Keating cover

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    "Raspberry Beret" by the Hindu Love Gods is miles better than the original.

But I have a theory about this subject: I reckon that if you hear a cover and don't know that it is a cover at the time of first hearing it, and only find out subsequently, it is highly unlikely that you will ever prefer the original. Discuss.

I used to think that 'Pretty Woman' by Van Halen was better than the original, and the same about 'Femme Fatale' by REM but not any more....

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    'Pressure Drop' by The Clash is way better than Toots and the Maytal's version as well.

Judas Priest’s The green manalishi with the two pronged crown is for me much better than Fleetwood Mac’s original.
    The worst has to be scissor sisters cover of comfortably numb.

Sid Vicious My way

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Judas Priest’s The green manalishi with the two pronged crown is for me much better than Fleetwood Mac’s original.
    The worst has to be scissor sisters cover of comfortably numb.
    OMG, that sounds terrible

Let me find it......

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Sid Vicious My way

Not sure if I’d say any of these are better ….. but certainly a different take
    David Kitt - Dancing in the Moonlight
    Calexico and Roger McGuinn - One More Cup Of Coffee

Let me find it......
    My God....

Walk on By, the Stranglers. Especially the extended version on white vinyl that came free with Black + White album

https://youtu.be/fR1jyU59JS8

Let me find it......
    Just played it, gave it til the chorus and couldn't take much more. Shocker!!
    What on earth were they thinking?!!

Gilmour and Waters won't be bothered though when those royalty cheques keep rolling in, they'll get a tenner each off this one!

Because The Night Patti Smith

Souxie And The Banshees version of 'The Passenger' is better than Iggy Pop.

Jeff Buckley's 'Allelujah' is better than Leonard Cohen.

Gloria Jones' 'Tainted Love' wipes the floor with the later and better known Soft Cell version.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Because The Night Patti Smith
    Not a cover version.

Feedback

Signed DC by Arthur Lee covered by SpireaX

Some Velvet Morning by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood covered by Slowdive

Denis.....Blondie
    Misty.....Ray Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Denis.....Blondie
    Not a patch on the original Denise by Randy & The Rainbows

Pulp’s Common People covered by William Shatner and Joe Jackson - superb!

The Bobby Fuller Four's hit version of I Fought The Law is considerably better than the original by the Crickets, but the later cover by the Clash is better still.

Siouxsie & the Banshees' version of Dear Prudence is much better than the Beatles' original. Their version of Helter Skelter is also superior (in my opinion at least....).

I prefer Blancmange's cover of Abba's the Day Before You Came, but they're both great.

Bowie's version of China Girl is a good deal better than Iggy's original.

The Damned's cover of Eloise is better than Barry Ryan's original, although that's also quite decent.

The Pretenders' cover of I Go To Sleep is better than the Applejacks recording or the Kinks original (but that was just a demo).

The inimitable Mr John Martyn and his version of, 'Somewhere over the Rainbow.'

https://youtu.be/DusYf1CNVXw

StT.
    <><

Ronnie Lane, you never can tell better than Chuck Berry's.