+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The "songs you don't like" thread had something in there which I had to stop myself from replying to as was off topic but then thought deserves a thread of its own.
    Red Red wine by UB40 was put forward as a "don't like" which I have to agree was awful (UB40 were a popular band at the time) and I think it was No. 1 in the "hit parade" for a while but nowhere near as good as Neil Diamond's.

Conversely, there were songs I grew up with and only later found out that they were covers, some better than their originals.
    One I immediately think of is State of Independence by Donna Summer.
    I loved the original by Jon and Vangellis but I the late Donna's when I first heard it blew the original out of the water.

Any others?

"Raspberry Beret" by the Hindu Love Gods is miles better than the original.

But I have a theory about this subject: I reckon that if you hear a cover and don't know that it is a cover at the time of first hearing it, and only find out subsequently, it is highly unlikely that you will ever prefer the original. Discuss.

Re: Banging Song Covers better than their original version OR shockers :yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    "Raspberry Beret" by the Hindu Love Gods is miles better than the original.

But I have a theory about this subject: I reckon that if you hear a cover and don't know that it is a cover at the time of first hearing it, and only find out subsequently, it is highly unlikely that you will ever prefer the original. Discuss.

I used to think that 'Pretty Woman' by Van Halen was better than the original, and the same about 'Femme Fatale' by REM but not any more....