+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Real heroes in life

Real heroes in life

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55043551

Prof Sarah Gilbert: The woman who designed the Oxford vaccine

If Prof Sarah Gilbert had gone with her instincts, the latest coronavirus vaccine to show highly promising results might never have been.

Years ago, studying for her PhD, she considered packing in science altogether. As a young student in biological sciences at the University of East Anglia, she was energised by the diversity of thought and experience in the department.

But when she progressed to her doctorate, at the University of Hull, she found the tunnel-like focus was not to her liking.

"There are some scientists who will happily work more or less on their own on one subject for a very long time… That's not the way I like to work. I like to try to take into account ideas from lots of different areas," she told BBC Radio 4's The Life Scientific, earlier this year.

Re: Real heroes in life

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

If Prof Sarah Gilbert had gone with her instincts, the latest coronavirus vaccine to show highly promising results might never have been.

Years ago, studying for her PhD, she considered packing in science altogether. As a young student in biological sciences at the University of East Anglia, she was energised by the diversity of thought and experience in the department.

But when she progressed to her doctorate, at the University of Hull, she found the tunnel-like focus was not to her liking.

"There are some scientists who will happily work more or less on their own on one subject for a very long time… That's not the way I like to work. I like to try to take into account ideas from lots of different areas," she told BBC Radio 4's The Life Scientific, earlier this year.
    Its like these surgeons who operate on tumours on babies brains

That kind of skill and intelligence is beyond my comprehension

Yet we have sections of our society totally willing to ignore amazing experts like this. The mind boggles.

Anyone who saves human life in any capacity is a hero in my eyes 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Anyone who saves human life in any capacity is a hero in my eyes ��
    Wish someone would save us from Brexit. Lots of lives to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Whomever devised the idea of keeping patients awake during brain surgery gets my vote. Incredible.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Wish someone would save us from Brexit. Lots of lives to go there.
    psuedo political bullshit Eric¬

A real hero? Irena Sendler. An unbelievably courageous lady.

Nobel prize? There are some very clever people around thankfully and we owe them a lot. These are the people who should be recipients of awards and honours imho.