from St Andrews.

Match Officials:

Referee: JEREMY SIMPSON

Assistants: Nik Barnard and Richard Wild

Fourth Official : Michael Salisbury

Re: COVENTRY CITY v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

The game ISNT on red button

Just noticed that , wonder why it isn’t on sky’s red button?

Down to 18th after tonight’s results,I saw online that the local Coventry paper is describing this game as a relegation battle , bit early in the season for that but does somewhat reflect our current league position!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Down to 18th after tonight’s results,I saw online that the local Coventry paper is describing this game as a relegation battle , bit early in the season for that but does somewhat reflect our current league position!
    I hadn't spotted that we had gone down to 18th. I really think Harris' neck is on the line if we dont pick up points quickly.

Coventry were always my second team as a kid. Although I was born and brought up in Cardiff and used to attend City's home games I also used to watch Coventry home games once in a while and due to family connections.
    Ernie Hunt and Ian Gibson were always favourites of mine and I think my aunt dated the latter for a while.
    In those days, Coventry were in the top division and one rung above City - and it's amazing to see them back in the second tier after their travails in recent years and without them even having a ground of their own.
    One thing was remarkable at their home games in the seventies: the marketing of their brand at home games. Not only was the ground bedecked with their colours but even the coffee cups had the club name, elephant symbol and club colour on them, which was way ahead of their time and due, I believe, to the astuteness of Jimmy Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Coventry were always my second team as a kid. Although I was born and brought up in Cardiff and used to attend City's home games I also used to watch Coventry home games once in a while and due to family connections.
    Ernie Hunt and Ian Gibson were always favourites of mine and I think my aunt dated the latter for a while.
    In those days, Coventry were in the top division and one rung above City - and it's amazing to see them back in the second tier after their travails in recent years and without them even having a ground of their own.
    One thing was remarkable at their home games in the seventies: the marketing of their brand at home games. Not only was the ground bedecked with their colours but even the coffee cups had the club name, elephant symbol and club colour on them, which was way ahead of their time and due, I believe, to the astuteness of Jimmy Hill.
    I believe he (Jimmy) was instrumental in trying to get the first all seater stadium. He said it was the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I believe he (Jimmy) was instrumental in trying to get the first all seater stadium. He said it was the future.
    As a player the only reason he stood out because he had a beard (to hide the chin no doubt), and also for the jumping in the air repeatedly on the way back to the half way line after scoring a rare goal. How the wheel turns though with many clamouring for the return of standing, will football fans ever want to be 100% sat on their arse for a game? In fact you’d be staring at someone’s arse should you choose to remain seated at a City away game..oooer missus! Oh, Hill is also responsible for that dreadful ‘Play Up Sky Blues’ song.

Our visitors are the proud owners of the trade mark 'CCFC'.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    He was also a leading figure in players breaking the wage structure in the early 60’s, which has led to the enormous money they get today.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Our visitors are the proud owners of the trade mark 'CCFC'.
    Well, we’re both ‘away’ tonight in effect, so who are the visitors? We definitely are, I s’pose Coventry are the lodgers

I’ve bought a match pass. There is no code so assume you just log on like the home games??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I’ve bought a match pass. There is no code so assume you just log on like the home games??
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I hadn't spotted that we had gone down to 18th. I really think Harris' neck is on the line if we dont pick up points quickly.
    Or conversely, for the less negative amongst us, up to 13th if we win.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Well, we’re both ‘away’ tonight in effect, so who are the visitors? We definitely are, I s’pose Coventry are the lodgers
    Apols. I thought we were at home

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Or conversely, for the less negative amongst us, up to 13th if we win.
    Bloody hell, we’ll all have a nose bleed getting to those dizzy heights

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The game ISNT on red button
    What?!

Why?!

Why can he not just play Bagan and move Bacuna into midfield and drop pack??

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Why can he not just play Bagan and move Bacuna into midfield and drop pack??
    Play Bagan where? Play him at RB, or play him at LB and move Bennett to RB? Either option involves someone playing out of position (Bennett said he had never played RB in a recent interview - I think the same is true of Bagan).

Bacuna is better in midfield (where he prefers to play) and he has weaknesses as stand in RB - but he is a better option than a LB covering. He certainly has the experience with us and Reading to do the job.

Nelson has played RB (again not his natural position) and could again - with Benkovic coming in as a CB (or even Sol) - but that is not a better option than Bacuna either.

This is a case of finding the least bad option - when we shouldn't have gone into the season with only one RB in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    What?! Why?!
    I read an article about this a couple of weeks ago. Basically, Sky only have the rights to screen a set amount of blocks of midweek Championship fixtures, and this season there will be more midweek fixture blocks than usual. Therefore, some won't be screened. Can't remember the exact numbers involved, but that's the reason.

I wonder if Whyte could play right back. He's got a lot of energy, good at tackling back and, while he is useless at crossing the ball, that aspect of his game should improve. I realise I'm clutching at straws here but the paucity of players in that position leaves no other option but to try things out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I read an article about this a couple of weeks ago. Basically, Sky only have the rights to screen a set amount of blocks of midweek Championship fixtures, and this season there will be more midweek fixture blocks than usual. Therefore, some won't be screened. Can't remember the exact numbers involved, but that's the reason.
    Booooooo.

With the amount that I already spend on Sky and BT Sport (not to mention Netflix and Amazon Prime ) forking out another £10 sticks in the throat a bit.....

20% possession and winning on fouls. This is more like it!