+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: El Diego RIP

Re: El Diego RIP

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I hate this sort of shit. Why on earth should Shilton or anyone else be obliged to say such a thing? Indeed, what does it matter what Shilton says? Maradona was a brilliant footballer, but he was also a complex character and, for many people, not a particularly likeable one. He's dead. Millions of his fellow countrymen will mourn his death as if he was some sort of messiah. Millions of other people will feel a bit sad because he was once great at playing football. Millions couldn't care less. It's not compulsory to have any thoughts for his family or his loved ones.

I wonder what El Diego would have thought or said about Shilton if the latter had died this week? Would he have been respectful or reverential when questioned by the press? Who knows, but I somehow doubt it.

As for suggesting that goal doesn't matter now, the fact of the matter is that it was one of the defining moments of Shilton's career, and Maradona's for that matter.

By the way, I think Shilton's a prick, but not because of anything he's said about Maradona.
    He's not obliged to do anything, I just think he had two options when asked about Maradona's death - saying something like that or bringing up an occurence that happened in a game of football 30 years ago. Option A would have made him look good, Option B made him look like a churlish prick. His choice of course, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

It might be of interest to some, it might not for others.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...cast-his-spell

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's not obliged to do anything, I just think he had two options when asked about Maradona's death - saying something like that or bringing up an occurence that happened in a game of football 30 years ago. Option A would have made him look good to me, Option B made him look like a churlish prick to me. His choice of course, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
    Edited for you.

Edited for you.
    ooh good one

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    ooh good one
    Cheers.

The point is that many of those who already didn't like Shilton are likely to have taken umbrage with him saying anything detrimental about Maradona. Meanwhile, those who either like him or whose views somehow tally with his would respect him for being honest, while most people couldn't care less either way.

Personally, I think Shilton's a tool in most regards. However, I really detest all of the fake 'for the public' reactions and the faux respect or grief people tend to express whenever somebody famous snuffs it. I much prefer honesty to insincerity, whatever form it takes or whoever is expressing it.

Cheers.

The point is that many of those who already didn't like Shilton are likely to have taken umbrage with him saying anything detrimental about Maradona. Meanwhile, those who either like him or whose views somehow tally with his would respect him for being honest, while most people couldn't care less either way.

Personally, I think Shilton's a tool in most regards. However, I really detest all of the fake 'for the public' reactions and the faux respect or grief people tend to express whenever somebody famous snuffs it. I much prefer honesty to insincerity, whatever form it takes or whoever is expressing it.
    To be fair I don't actually disagree with you about fake outpourings of grief, it's just I think he's come across pretty small and churlish by talking about a handball a day after the guy's died, and I think if he wanted to avoid that then he could have

Cheers.

I didn't see what shilton had to say, but if he's still pissed about getting done by Maradona then that's up to him (obviously) he's got every right to express that. I would hope though, that he's at least concede that maradona was most certainly the best player of a generation and arguably the greatest player to have ever played the game, that's an absolute fact, and Shilton, as a professional, could at least attempt to separate the handball from maradona's ability. If he didn't do that, then he is a prized prick in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I didn't see what shilton had to say, but if he's still pissed about getting done by Maradona then that's up to him (obviously) he's got every right to express that. I would hope though, that he's at least concede that maradona was most certainly the best player of a generation and arguably the greatest player to have ever played the game, that's an absolute fact, and Shilton, as a professional, could at least attempt to separate the handball from maradona's ability. If he didn't do that, then he is a prized prick in my opinion.
    The article concerned began as follows:

"My life has long been linked with that of Diego Maradona and not in the way I would have liked, but I am saddened to hear of his passing at such a young age. He was undoubtedly the greatest player I ever faced and my thoughts are with his family."

"My life has long been linked with that of Diego Maradona and not in the way I would have liked, but I am saddened to hear of his passing at such a young age. He was undoubtedly the greatest player I ever faced and my thoughts are with his family."
    I've absolutely no problem with that.

The police are now searching the home and private clinic of the Doctor Maradona used in order to establish that there wasn't any 'Negligence' involved in his death-on the instruction of Maradona's Daughters. I knew that this would turn into a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The Fenwick elbow was a bit more than that though.
    It’s a nonsense to say that’s how it was back then anyway. That’s no excuse. They tried to boot him off the park because he was too good for them. Why is that morally any better or any less cheating than the handball?

**** Peter Shilton. He also tried to make Ray Clemence death about him too the big headed prick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've absolutely no problem with that.
    When he states that there’s usually a “but” at the end of it.

If he's written an article for the paper, I guess we can add cashing in on maradonas death to the list.