Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
I hate this sort of shit. Why on earth should Shilton or anyone else be obliged to say such a thing? Indeed, what does it matter what Shilton says? Maradona was a brilliant footballer, but he was also a complex character and, for many people, not a particularly likeable one. He's dead. Millions of his fellow countrymen will mourn his death as if he was some sort of messiah. Millions of other people will feel a bit sad because he was once great at playing football. Millions couldn't care less. It's not compulsory to have any thoughts for his family or his loved ones.

I wonder what El Diego would have thought or said about Shilton if the latter had died this week? Would he have been respectful or reverential when questioned by the press? Who knows, but I somehow doubt it.

As for suggesting that goal doesn't matter now, the fact of the matter is that it was one of the defining moments of Shilton's career, and Maradona's for that matter.

By the way, I think Shilton's a prick, but not because of anything he's said about Maradona.
He's not obliged to do anything, I just think he had two options when asked about Maradona's death - saying something like that or bringing up an occurence that happened in a game of football 30 years ago. Option A would have made him look good, Option B made him look like a churlish prick. His choice of course, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.