+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: El Diego RIP

Re: El Diego RIP

On another note, Peter Shilton writing an article and going on tv criticizing Maradona for a handball that happened 34 years ago less than 24 hours after he died shows what a small small man he is

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Pele

Best

Gascoigne

Maradona was a cheat
    You're having a ****ing laugh surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Talented player undoubtedly. Great player ? I don’t think so . There was only one greatest of them all and he was Brazilian. He didn’t need to cheat.
    That would be a bloke who played against farmers and over the hill european players in a gimmick league? Righto.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    On another note, Peter Shilton writing an article and going on tv criticizing Maradona for a handball that happened 34 years ago less than 24 hours after he died shows what a small small man he is
    It's like some of those English players think they would have won the World Cup in 1986 if it wasn't for Maradona. Yes, he cheated, but England were well-beaten that day. They didn't get into the game until the last 15 minutes when John Barnes came on. Then the small matter of West Germany in the final if they managed to get past Belgium. Bitter and delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Talented player undoubtedly. Great player ? I don’t think so . There was only one greatest of them all and he was Brazilian. He didn’t need to cheat.
    This is a very bad opinion.

And yes, opinions can be bad, before someone says!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This is a very bad opinion.

And yes, opinions can be bad, before someone says!
    I have a theory, those who hold right wing beliefs or love their style of football being a bloke toe punting the ball 50 yards are more likely to hate Maradona. Accept feedy, cos he took Diego out on a massive bender in Cuba (probably)

Have to disagree with you there. Shilton was a brilliant keeper, who could have capped off his career with a world cup winners medal.
    He has always said what a brilliant player Maradona was, but could never forgive him for that handball.
    It was obvious as soon as DM died yesterday Shilton was gonna be interviewed, and asked those sort of questions.question. At least he stuck to his guns and wasn’t a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's like some of those English players think they would have won the World Cup in 1986 if it wasn't for Maradona. Yes, he cheated, but England were well-beaten that day. They didn't get into the game until the last 15 minutes when John Barnes came on. Then the small matter of West Germany in the final if they managed to get past Belgium. Bitter and delusional.

He did not cheat!!

Just watched Shilton on the news, how embarrassing moaning that Maradona never, ever apologised to him. No matter what standard of football it is, if the ref gives a goal the scorer celebrates, Shilton was a pro footballer for God’s sake, how would he have felt in a World Cup quarter final had Lineker did the same but then refused to accept the goal, telling the ref that he’d handled? If he’s any type of pro he’d be livid, the fans would have berated Lineker as well, you take what ever advantage you can. We were fuming at Anfield but I certainly didn’t expect Joe Jordan to approach the ref with, “I’m so sorry referee it was me that handled the ball, you’ve made a mistake, it’s, in fact, a Welsh free kick” whilst turning to his team mates and his bench saying, “Sorry chaps but I cannot accept the penalty decision”. And as I’ve mentioned before the likes of The Sun would have had a field day had Gascoigne scored such a goal, they’d have revelled in it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Have to disagree with you there. Shilton was a brilliant keeper, who could have capped off his career with a world cup winners medal.
    He has always said what a brilliant player Maradona was, but could never forgive him for that handball.
    It was obvious as soon as DM died yesterday Shilton was gonna be interviewed, and asked those sort of questions.question. At least he stuck to his guns and wasn’t a hypocrite.

I wonder if Shilton if he saved a penalty but moved off his line whilst doing so ever apologised to the taker if the save was deemed ok?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I wonder if Shilton if he saved a penalty but moved off his line whilst doing so ever apologised to the taker if the save was deemed ok?
    I’ve always wondered how the fcuk almost everyone in the stadium saw it except the ref and 2 linesmen. 😂

Just watched Shilton on the news, how embarrassing moaning that Maradona never, ever apologised to him. No matter what standard of football it is, if the ref gives a goal the scorer celebrates, Shilton was a pro footballer for God’s sake, how would he have felt in a World Cup quarter final had Lineker did the same but then refused to accept the goal, telling the ref that he’d handled? If he’s any type of pro he’d be livid, the fans would have berated Lineker as well, you take what ever advantage you can. We were fuming at Anfield but I certainly didn’t expect Joe Jordan to approach the ref with, “I’m so sorry referee it was me that handled the ball, you’ve made a mistake, it’s, in fact, a Welsh free kick” whilst turning to his team mates and his bench saying, “Sorry chaps but I cannot accept the penalty decision”. And as I’ve mentioned before the likes of The Sun would have had a field day had Gascoigne scored such a goal, they’d have revelled in it.
    Maradona himself made a good point where he said if there was a shot that Shilton looked like he saved but he knew himself that it went over the line, would he stop the game and say that was a goal. Would he bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I get what you're saying about the questions he would have been asked in interviews but the man's just died, it's over, it wouldn't take much to say "it doesn't matter now, he was a fantastic player and my thoughts go out to his loved ones"

That would show true character. Didn't take him long to get that article written either

I get what you're saying about the questions he would have been asked in interviews but the man's just died, it's over, it wouldn't take much to say "it doesn't matter now, he was a fantastic player and my thoughts go out to his loved ones"
    I hate this sort of shit. Why on earth should Shilton or anyone else be obliged to say such a thing? Indeed, what does it matter what Shilton says? Maradona was a brilliant footballer, but he was also a complex character and, for many people, not a particularly likeable one. He's dead. Millions of his fellow countrymen will mourn his death as if he was some sort of messiah. Millions of other people will feel a bit sad because he was once great at playing football. Millions couldn't care less. It's not compulsory to have any thoughts for his family or his loved ones.

I wonder what El Diego would have thought or said about Shilton if the latter had died this week? Would he have been respectful or reverential when questioned by the press? Who knows, but I somehow doubt it.

As for suggesting that goal doesn't matter now, the fact of the matter is that it was one of the defining moments of Shilton's career, and Maradona's for that matter.

By the way, I think Shilton's a prick, but not because of anything he's said about Maradona.

One of the reasons I've never been too bothered either way by Maradona's character is that I've always strongly believed that those who were would change their opinions of him completely if he had represented their team. In this respect, I'm thinking particularly of tabloid newspapers. There are the occasional instances of good sportsmanship to the detriment of your team in professional football which come tp mind (e.g. DeCanio stopping play when he could have scored a match winning goal late on in a game at Everton and Fowler trying to persuade the ref not to give a penalty for a foul on him in an Arsenal v Liverpool game), but there aren't many of them.

Maradona cheated in the same way as ninety per cent (at the very least) of his fellow pros would have done that day against England, so why should he be denied the praise he is now due because of that? My judgement of him as being the best footballer I've seen is based entirely on what he could do with a ball and not on a character assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

As for suggesting that goal doesn't matter now, the fact of the matter is that it was one of the defining moments of Shilton's career, and Maradona's for that matter.

Most probably was one of the most embarrassing as well as defining moments of Shilton’s long career (too long really, scrubbing about for clubs in his 40s) an international renowned goalkeeper being outjumped by a comparative midget in front of millions. Type of thing that if it happened on the parks the goalie would still be having the piss ripped out of him for quite a while. Shilton doesn’t seem to be a particularly nice character, he gets no sympathy from me and his “Maradona was a great footballer but............” cuts no ice.

Most probably was one of the most embarrassing as well as defining moments of Shilton’s long career (too long really, scrubbing about for clubs in his 40s) an international renowned goalkeeper being outjumped by a comparative midget in front of millions. Type of thing that if it happened on the parks the goalie would still be having the piss ripped out of him for quite a while. Shilton doesn’t seem to be a particularly nice character, he gets no sympathy from me and his “Maradona was a great footballer but............” cuts no ice.
    I don’t think he’s looking for any sympathy from you, is he?

I hate this sort of shit. Why on earth should Shilton or anyone else be obliged to say such a thing? .
    It's a standard comment for someone in the public eye after a death. Bitch about him as much as you want at home, but the public statement is something textbook like delmbox suggested,

The reason is, in Shilton's case, that it doesn't leave him open to thousands of people laughing at how bitter he is at something that happened half a lifetime ago. I'm quite sure he is genuinely bitter but he doesn't gain anything by putting it out there. Again.

It's a standard comment for someone in the public eye after a death. Bitch about him as much as you want at home, but the public statement is something textbook like delmbox suggested,

The reason is, in Shilton's case, that it doesn't leave him open to thousands of people laughing at how bitter he is at something that happened half a lifetime ago. I'm quite sure he is genuinely bitter but he doesn't gain anything by putting it out there. Again.

God I feel old

I don’t think he’s looking for any sympathy from you, is he?

‘Phoned me last night, the whinging c*nt!!

Imagine the outpouring of ex professionals , fans , countries , when CR7 pops his clogs

Exactly right
    Every footballer has cheated in their careers to gain an advantage
    Happens every game these days with diving, simulation, asking refs to book a player, time wasting, feigning injury.................and more

That's just how football was back then, doesn't really justify the hand ball (though I'm not complaining about England losing)

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    That's just how football was back then, doesn't really justify the hand ball (though I'm not complaining about England losing)
    The Fenwick elbow was a bit more than that though.