+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Wilson and body language

Harry Wilson and body language

I didn't see the Coventry game, but listed to the BBC Radio Wales commentary. Jason Perry was the analyst. As so often seems to happen with analysts, they get a bee in their bonnet and go on and on about an aspect of the game. This happened yesterday when Perry homed in on Wilson's frustration with his team mates (as shown by his body language) which led on to him being booked for a poor tackle.

If this was the case, Wilson needs to get a grip. He's used to playing with decent players with Wales, Liverpool and Bournemouth and it's probably true that many of the present City side are not up to the same standard as these teams. But it's unprofessional and counter-productive to display his frustration publicly. How did his team mates feel about his obvious petulance? Ojo was one who was singled out for not doing what Wilson thought he should have done. He's just coming back from injury and should have been encouraged rather than put down, I would have thought.

It shows immaturity as a person for Wilson to make a public display of his displeasure. It gives the impression that he thinks he is so much better than his team mates on whom he looks down. This cannot help him or his team. Maybe his attitude is why he's been out on loan for so long.

I see that Wilson was given a mark of 5 by Wales Online for his performance yesterday. He didn't exactly excel himself.

There's no doubt that Wilson is a talented footballer who fans are pleased to have at City. But successful football teams are often the result of a good team spirit and Wilson perhaps did not contribute to that last night. Quite the reverse, in fact.

Re: Harry Wilson and body language

I watched it on a stuttering stream and, by the sounds of it, I think I came to a similar conclusion to Perry.

My feeling was that he grew more and more frustrated as the game went on. I don't think he knew what his role was and what others were doing. Unprofessional? Probably.

Another point, though. Liverpool seem to monitor their players carefully. I can't see them being too enamored by things as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I didn't see the Coventry game, but listed to the BBC Radio Wales commentary. Jason Perry was the analyst. As so often seems to happen with analysts, they get a bee in their bonnet and go on and on about an aspect of the game. This happened yesterday when Perry homed in on Wilson's frustration with his team mates (as shown by his body language) which led on to him being booked for a poor tackle.

If this was the case, Wilson needs to get a grip. He's used to playing with decent players with Wales, Liverpool and Bournemouth and it's probably true that many of the present City side are not up to the same standard as these teams. But it's unprofessional and counter-productive to display his frustration publicly. How did his team mates feel about his obvious petulance? Ojo was one who was singled out for not doing what Wilson thought he should have done. He's just coming back from injury and should have been encouraged rather than put down, I would have thought.

It shows immaturity as a person for Wilson to make a public display of his displeasure. It gives the impression that he thinks he is so much better than his team mates on whom he looks down. This cannot help him or his team. Maybe his attitude is why he's been out on loan for so long.

I see that Wilson was given a mark of 5 by Wales Online for his performance yesterday. He didn't exactly excel himself.

There's no doubt that Wilson is a talented footballer who fans are pleased to have at City. But successful football teams are often the result of a good team spirit and Wilson perhaps did not contribute to that last night. Quite the reverse, in fact.

Another point to make, is, ONO is shit !!!!!!!

I'm just so relieved that Wilson didn't go to that lot down the road. They'd have made much better use of him than we have.

Jason Perry stealing a living talking shite.
    And Psycho? A gust of wind would blow him over.

Wilson was getting frustrated most definitely, but you could look at it from a different angle and that was his frustration came from his team mates lack of effort, or ability to do even the most basic things required of a footballer. These are Championship level players who often don't seem capable of playing a simple 5 yard pass accurately to a team mate when under no pressure. They take the wrong options time and again and put themselves under pressure (the goal a perfect example). There's more often than not, no movement for receiving a pass, they don't seem to want the ball.
    I'm fairly sure he was well aware he wouldn't be playing with the same quality of players as before when he moved to Cardiff. I've not noticed a bad attitude from him in previous games to be honest. He is a hard working player and chases things when others often don't. The booking was unnecessary and a side of his game he needs to work on, but I can fully understand why he became frustrated as last night's game went on.

Didn't listen to the game and only saw very brief highlights on Quest.

If Harris is playing him out wide, then he is being wasted. He should be playing through the middle (a la Whitts), and instrumental in all our involvement in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I watched it on a stuttering stream and, by the sounds of it, I think I came to a similar conclusion to Perry.

My feeling was that he grew more and more frustrated as the game went on. I don't think he knew what his role was and what others were doing. Unprofessional? Probably.

Another point, though. Liverpool seem to monitor their players carefully. I can't see them being too enamored by things as they are.
    Perhaps they should spend more time monitoring their own first team, 0-2 at home to Atalanta

Re the OP, Wilson is a young kid with talent frustrated at having the responsibility of carrying the whole team.
    During a game, players are constantly talking, telling each other where they want the ball, how others should be tracking back, how others should be timing their runs better, when to come short and peel off etc.... This is normal.
    However, when the team is not playing well, these will easily come across as criticism and players fall out.

It is the manager's responsibility to manage (a clue in the job title) these players and these kinds of spats before they permanently damage the team.
    I only hope for Harris's, and the team's sakes that it isn't too late.

Yesterday's performance after NH's interview in the week, where he played down suggestions of pressure from above, doesn't fill me with too much confidence that it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I can't see Harris being too enamoured with either, Ojo especially. Neither are going to make it at Liverpool, if they were they'd lift us out of trouble. Ojo won't even be a PL footballer, I'm not even sure he's a Championship player at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I can't see Harris being too enamoured with either, Ojo especially. Neither are going to make it at Liverpool, if they were they'd lift us out of trouble. Ojo won't even be a PL footballer, I'm not even sure he's a Championship player at present.
    He wouldn't get in a Splott Park team

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    Wilson was getting frustrated most definitely, but you could look at it from a different angle and that was his frustration came from his team mates lack of effort, or ability to do even the most basic things required of a footballer. ......... but I can fully understand why he became frustrated as last night's game went on.
    I agree one can understand his frustration. My point was that he showed it excessively.

Nothing went down the right last night, everything we did went down the left as Bennett was overlapping quite a lot, but I don't remember Bacuna doing that at all.

Simple passes were going into touch, of course he was frustrated

I don't mind players showing frustration, shows they care

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Nothing went down the right last night, everything we did went down the left as Bennett was overlapping quite a lot, but I don't remember Bacuna doing that at all.
    Bacuna comes inside more often than not, so there's no width at all on the right hand side

Harris can blame the injury to JOT for this, but he should have brought in another right back, its not like there weren't any available

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    How is it even possible to spell Ojo wrong

We all raised our eyebrows when he signed and I think we could all envisage this situation where he would cut a frustrated figure when the team weren't up to standard. It's a big season for him so I hope he leads by example instead of sulking away.

Needs to play in the centre. Wasted out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Tony’s play on words, Bamber was the one that got me on another thread, do some people read anything about our players?

One for the Plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooosH

Not very quick on the uptake, are you

Perhaps prising Lennon away from Celtic might improve him

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps prising Lennon away from Celtic might improve him
    ONO!

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooosH

Not very quick on the uptake, are you
    Clearly not

I think even people within the game see Cardiff in the Play Offs, winning promotions, playing in front of 20,000 crowds and assume we have players of a certain level of ability when the truth is we had players even when we were in the Premier League who are below average by Championship standards when it comes to basic aspects of the game such as giving and receiving simple looking passes. It's only when they come to play with us that it becomes clear how much we have relied on physicality, set pieces drills and spirit when obtaining what success we've had in the past decade when, basically, we've played regimented long ball stuff most of the time. I doubt it if Harry Wilson has ever played in a team which featured so many players who are uncomfortable in possession and struggle to give and receive good passes in his football career as he is having to play with now - he's bound to get frustrated at times and there must be a fear that we'll drag him down to our level.

He looked frustrated. And so he should. It was awful to watch and couldn't have been much fun to play in. I don't think I remember seeing a game where so many players made so many individual errors, like failing to trap the ball, letting it run out of play, etc. I usually try not to read too much into situations like this and pretend I know what the players are thinking. But, it really did look like there were players out there who simply didn't care and weren't bothering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm just so relieved that Wilson didn't go to that lot down the road. They'd have made much better use of him than we have.
    Which is really depressing in itself.