+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales in Pot 2 for World Cup Qualifiers Draw

Wales in Pot 2 for World Cup Qualifiers Draw

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55099601

Pot 1: Belgium, France, England, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands.

Pot 2: Switzerland, Wales, Poland, Sweden, Austria, Ukraine, Serbia, Turkey, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot 3: Russia, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Czech Republic, Norway, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Scotland, Greece, Finland.

Pot 4: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Israel, Belarus, Georgia, Luxembourg.

Pot 5: Armenia, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Latvia, Andorra.

Pot 6: Malta, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, San Marino.

I hope we don't get one of the home nations from pot 3, sick to death of playing them now.

Re: Wales in Pot 2 for World Cup Qualifiers Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55099601

Pot 1: Belgium, France, England, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands.

Pot 2: Switzerland, Wales, Poland, Sweden, Austria, Ukraine, Serbia, Turkey, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot 3: Russia, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Czech Republic, Norway, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Scotland, Greece, Finland.

Pot 4: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Israel, Belarus, Georgia, Luxembourg.

Pot 5: Armenia, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Latvia, Andorra.

Pot 6: Malta, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, San Marino.

I hope we don't get one of the home nations from pot 3, sick to death of playing them now.

Ideally I'd go for Croatia, Russia, Slovenia, Andorra and San Marino. That's the type of group England usually draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Ideally I'd go for Croatia, Russia, Slovenia, Andorra and San Marino. That's the type of group England usually draw.
    Yeah would take that.
    You are right too, even though they are usually in the top pot, their qualifying groups seem to be far easier than most.

Hardest would be;

France
    Wales
    Czech Republic/Iceland
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Armenia
    Moldova

I’d settle for
    Germany
    Wales
    Iceland
    Kosovo
    Luxembourg
    Gibraltar

Not bad

I hope we get Kazakhstan as my trip there in May had to be cancelled.

I think its easier to say who we definitely don't want than who we do want

Pot 1 anyone other than Denmark & Croatia is a huge challenge and we can kiss top spot goodbye
    Pot 3 definitely want to avoid Norway, wouldn't really want either of Scotland, Ireland or Northern Ireland because those kinds of games become scrappy affairs although I'd back us on paper, not too keen on Hungary either
    Pot 4 definitely want to avoid Georgia, don't fancy going to any of the Balkans due to our historically poor record
    Pot 5 anyone but Kosovo
    Pot 6 much of a muchness

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think its easier to say who we definitely don't want than who we do want

Pot 1 anyone other than Denmark & Croatia is a huge challenge and we can kiss top spot goodbye
    Pot 3 definitely want to avoid Norway, wouldn't really want either of Scotland, Ireland or Northern Ireland because those kinds of games become scrappy affairs although I'd back us on paper, not too keen on Hungary either
    Pot 4 definitely want to avoid Georgia, don't fancy going to any of the Balkans due to our historically poor record
    Pot 5 anyone but Kosovo
    Pot 6 much of a muchness
    Pretty much agreed although I’d like Northern Ireland in pot three.

We've got the safety net of knowing have a play off spot already nailed on. Which makes me wonder if better to get a better 3rd place team to try and take points off the top seed or a weaker one and then hope whitewash all the others and can get a result against a top team which I think we are capable of on our day.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    We've got the safety net of knowing have a play off spot already nailed on. Which makes me wonder if better to get a better 3rd place team to try and take points off the top seed or a weaker one and then hope whitewash all the others and can get a result against a top team which I think we are capable of on our day.
    Only if three of Italy, Belgium, Spain and France finish top 2 in their qualifying groups. Risk of seeing it as nailed on thing is that you'd rather not need that safety net - finishing top 2 in the group means you've picked up a lot more points, and have much better form, than any side outside of that who is relying on 2020 results (ancient history) for the play-offs.

It's been pointed out that there are more rules to these groups than I first expected. Those four aforementioned countries are guaranteed a group of 5 instead of 6 and I saw it mentioned that certain teams (Iceland and Faroe Islands?) can't be drawn together due to distance away.

How does it work, 10 group winners through, 10 runners up plus 2 from nations league play for a further 3 spots?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    How does it work, 10 group winners through, 10 runners up plus 2 from nations league play for a further 3 spots?
    Correct, 12 teams in play offs. 1 leg semi and final for last 3 places

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Correct, 12 teams in play offs. 1 leg semi and final for last 3 places
    Jesus, not sure winning the nations league was such a lifeline as some expected

Please, please do not give us Republic of Ireland , fed up of playing them !!

Denmark
    Wales
    Greece
    Luxembourg
    Andorra
    San Marino

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's been pointed out that there are more rules to these groups than I first expected. Those four aforementioned countries are guaranteed a group of 5 instead of 6 and I saw it mentioned that certain teams (Iceland and Faroe Islands?) can't be drawn together due to distance away.
    I think there’s a cap on the number of countries from the more western / eastern fringes of the Uefa area being in the same group because of excessive travel. I think we may count as one of those (western) teams but not entirely certain.

I think there’s also some rules on separating countries due to political reasons that also may factor into the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Denmark
    Wales
    Greece
    Luxembourg
    Andorra
    San Marino
    Apart from Croatia instead of Denmark, that's the group I'd like to see us end up with

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apart from Croatia instead of Denmark, that's the group I'd like to see us end up with
    Yep I would be happy with that too.