+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get rid of Murphy.

Re: Get rid of Murphy.

He set up our goal at Millwall which, until 3pm today, was the best contribution to a game from one of our players since then (Moore’s finish apart). He has had a dreadful spell though.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He should be delivering more.

Perhaps he could drop off uncle bob's away shirt

I think like all city fans I’ve wanted him to come good. Feel like he’s got the talent and ability but for whatever reasons it hasn’t clicked for him down the city.

I have thought for a while he may need a change of scenery. I’d take no particular delight in seeing the young man shipped out but for a decent enough return it might be best for both parties.

Until then, let’s hope Harris and the team can get the best out of him as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I have to say that I didn't see JM when he came on as I missed the last quarter of an hour but on a day which was full of surprises, the reported performance albeit a five minute one, does not surprise me one bit.

The only reason I can see that he gets anywhere near the starting lineup is for him to possibly get a goal or an assist which could keep in in the public eye for a transfer.

His performances for City have shown me that he is either not good enough or not interested.
    you leave early even when the game is on the internet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    you leave early even when the game is on the internet ?

Remember that time when Neil Warnock left Josh Murphy out of the squad for what was a crucial relegation game at Fulham because, we were told, of his attitude in training? As I remember it then, the general attitude was one of surprise - Murphy's form had dropped after a good start at Cardiff in a struggling team, but leaving him out completely in a match we had to win seemed wrong at the time and still seems wrong now.

For me, Murphy has not been the same player since then. When all is said and done, I'd say the reason he signed for us was that we could offer him Premier League football, he wouldn't have come here otherwise and once that opportunity disappeared he has given the impression that he doesn't want to be here. That's not what supporters of any team want to see from one of their players and so Murphy has become someone who supporters are quicker to criticise than many other members of the squad.

Yesterday Murphy stayed sat on the bench while Gavin Whyte came on with about twenty minutes left and when he was called on there were about five minutes, the first thing he did was go past an opponent like he wasn't there in a manner few of his team mates could match. From then on though he was the player who clearly drives Blueaway mad with a downright weird pass and then an assist for Morrell's late shot against the post which, apparently, had Neil Harris fuming.

I'm disappointed with Murphy over the past two seasons, disappointed at his failure to knuckle down and try to make the best of what he seems to see as a bad job and at how he is wasting a talent level which should make him an automatic choice in our team, but the fault is not all his, I think he has always had a raw deal from Neil Warnock and Neil Harris because he always seem to be the one to be taken off first when the whole team is playing poorly - he looks like he doesn't want to be here and his managers give the impression that they would prefer it if he was somewhere else, the answer should be simple, but all of the time his value is dropping and we would get a fraction of what we paid for him if he signed for someone else, some sort of swap deal in January seems the best way to resolve the issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Remember that time when Neil Warnock left Josh Murphy out of the squad for what was a crucial relegation game at Fulham because, we were told, of his attitude in training? As I remember it then, the general attitude was one of surprise - Murphy's form had dropped after a good start at Cardiff in a struggling team, but leaving him out completely in a match we had to win seemed wrong at the time and still seems wrong now.

For me, Murphy has not been the same player since then. When all is said and done, I'd say the reason he signed for us was that we could offer him Premier League football, he wouldn't have come here otherwise and once that opportunity disappeared he has given the impression that he doesn't want to be here. That's not what supporters of any team want to see from one of their players and so Murphy has become someone who supporters are quicker to criticise than many other members of the squad.

Yesterday Murphy stayed sat on the bench while Gavin Whyte came on with about twenty minutes left and when he was called on there were about five minutes, the first thing he did was go past an opponent like he wasn't there in a manner few of his team mates could match. From then on though he was the player who clearly drives Blueaway mad with a downright weird pass and then an assist for Morrell's late shot against the post which, apparently, had Neil Harris fuming.

I'm disappointed with Murphy over the past two seasons, disappointed at his failure to knuckle down and try to make the best of what he seems to see as a bad job and at how he is wasting a talent level which should make him an automatic choice in our team, but the fault is not all his, I think he has always had a raw deal from Neil Warnock and Neil Harris because he always seem to be the one to be taken off first when the whole team is playing poorly - he looks like he doesn't want to be here and his managers give the impression that they would prefer it if he was somewhere else, the answer should be simple, but all of the time his value is dropping and we would get a fraction of what we paid for him if he signed for someone else, some sort of swap deal in January seems the best way to resolve the issue to me.
    Bob, maybe swap him for his brother. With a bit of luck Newcastle might not notice and just think that Jacob has lost a bit of form.

Whyte has barely played this season, so I can understand him getting some minutes off the bench in a game that was already won. It's the continued use of Hoilett despite him being crap in almost every game he's played that baffles me.

Aw diddums, Warnock put him on the naughty chair in the corner.

If he had that attitude in any other job he'd be on the dole and on benefits all his life.
    There are many would be professionals out there who'd give their right arm to be given an opportunity on the big stage so to say that it isn't all Josh Murphy's fault doesn't wash with me I'm sorry Bob.

He had, and still does have, the power to put things right but does he need to?
    Somebody will come knocking, maybe at a knock down price, but he knows his future is safe, simply by being a modern day professional footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bob, maybe swap him for his brother. With a bit of luck Newcastle might not notice and just think that Jacob has lost a bit of form.
    That might just work

It's strange that our Murphy seems to have this poor attitude, especially as his brother Jacob said in his interview (after he came off the bench, scored and changed the game the other week) mentioned that Josh had been a good mentor for him whilst he was struggling and out of favour.

If only JM could practice what he preached.
    After all, even the people who are critical of him, Blueaway, myself and others included, want to see him succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    No, I had other thoughts too but this one motivated me most!
    that's a sad state of affairs isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    that's a sad state of affairs isn't it
    As I explained yesterday the post was out of utter frustration. It was heat of the moment stuff. I accept that the timing wasn’t good but I think the criticism is fair.
    Maybe he has had some bad breaks, but he needs to man up. Unless a player contributes then they are making it even more difficult for the others and his contribution has this season been minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    As I explained yesterday the post was out of utter frustration. It was heat of the moment stuff. I accept that the timing wasn’t good but I think the criticism is fair.
    Maybe he has had some bad breaks, but he needs to man up. Unless a player contributes then they are making it even more difficult for the others and his contribution has this season been minimal.
    Frothing are the mouth over a 5 minutes sub appearance in a game we were winning 4-0 and was over. Gerra ****ing grip ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Apart from disagreeing with the timing of this, does anyone have any disagreements with the post? Don't know how long Murphy has left to run on his contract but if we could raise some money by selling him before it would be welcome and a surprise.
    Not sure how much we would expect to get.
    Apparently we paid £10M but I would doubt we would get much more than £1M at the moment

If murphy finds some form he'd be one of the few players in the squad with any kind of residual value for us come the end of the season.

Loanees will go back, a few more out of contract and the rest are 30 and nobody is going to pay much for them.

If you look at his brother who is getting some great reviews for his recent performances - then you'd have to assume Josh is capable of the same level of performances. After all they are physically identical, and have had identical training and exposure to first team football whilst at Norwich.

Maybe what's missing is a manager who can motivate him. Harris may be the man but I suspect Warnock did a lot to damage Murphy's confidence. From what I understand he's a decent lad so let hope things turn around for him because an in form Murphy is clearly a huge asset.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Whyte has barely played this season, so I can understand him getting some minutes off the bench in a game that was already won. It's the continued use of Hoilett despite him being crap in almost every game he's played that baffles me.
    That is how I saw it Murphy has had minutes and opportunity .

As for Hoilett he needs to be in the squad , he has great balance and can go on any foot and score lovely goals, far better than Murphy's offering , great servant to the club , Murphy she lean form him, however he can't play a full 90 now or consecutive games.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    If you look at his brother who is getting some great reviews for his recent performances - then you'd have to assume Josh is capable of the same level of performances. After all they are physically identical, and have had identical training and exposure to first team football whilst at Norwich.

Maybe what's missing is a manager who can motivate him. Harris may be the man but I suspect Warnock did a lot to damage Murphy's confidence. From what I understand he's a decent lad so let hope things turn around for him because an in form Murphy is clearly a huge asset.
    Surely if this were true then Rafael wouldn't have got 5 times as many appearances for Man Utd than Fabio and Fabio wouldn't have played for us

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Surely if this were true then Rafael wouldn't have got 5 times as many appearances for Man Utd than Fabio and Fabio wouldn't have played for us
    In this case though, I'd say the two brother's careers have followed pretty similar paths, they've both had spells where they appeared to be doing better than the other one and currently it appears that Jacob, while playing in a new position, is at a high spot in his career, but last season he was on loan and not doing a great deal in a struggling Sheffield Wednesday team. I believe there's not a great deal between the two of them and that Josh is capable of much more than he has shown this season - apart from at Millwall when he made a big difference when he came on.

I agree with Phyllis when he says Josh is a decent lad. I'm sure some will see his attitude since our relegation shows that's a questionable judgment, but I'd say he's just not happy here and his confidence is very low, as opposed to him being a trouble maker.