+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Welsh players in team

4 Welsh players in team

When was the last time 4 Welsh players started a league game for Cardiff? I'm struggling to remember and have followed City since the late 60s. Today Moore, Vaulkes, Harris and Wilson... so 3 forwards making it even more rare.

Of course some smart arse will point out it was this year and ruin my thread. I remember King, Jones and Toshack in same starting line up and maybe Derrett on occasions. Anything more recent?

Re: 4 Welsh players in team

Must have happened during the early Sam Hammam years. Scott Young, Earnshaw, Gabbs, Rhys Weston, Paul Parry, Kevin Evans, Mark Howard, Andy Legg....

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Must have happened during the early Sam Hammam years. Scott Young, Earnshaw, Gabbs, Rhys Weston, Paul Parry, Kevin Evans, Mark Howard, Andy Legg....
    Undoubtedly. There were times I reckon we had 7-8 Welsh born players in the side then.

Last game of the 2000/01 season: https://www.11v11.com/matches/hartle...may-2001-6945/ 8 Welsh born players

I meant Mark Walton.

And forgot Josh Low, Jason Bowen, Gethin Jones, David Hughes, James Collins, Martyn Giles.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Undoubtedly. There were times I reckon we had 7-8 Welsh born players in the side then.

Last game of the 2000/01 season: https://www.11v11.com/matches/hartle...may-2001-6945/ 8 Welsh born players
    Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Great times.
    That was the largest Welsh contingent that season. We had 7 against Shrewsbury the game before. Promotion won beforehand. Hammam was the driver behind the Welsh team.

That was the largest Welsh contingent that season. We had 7 against Shrewsbury the game before. Promotion won beforehand. Hammam was the driver behind the Welsh team.
    Yep, Sam was big on it, it was music to my ears at the time.
    Iwan Roberts has said he was wanted here as well but the deal fell through because another club offered more. I wonder which other Welsh players were enquired about.
    I’m no raging nationalist but I loved having a large welsh contingent in the team.

And certainly enjoyed rocking up to English towns and cities with a team full of welsh lads, out-singing their fans all game and taking home all three points.
    Without doubt my favourite time following city, I was only 12 years old though, so def had some rose tinted glasses on.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveringBluebird View Post
    When was the last time 4 Welsh players started a league game for Cardiff? I'm struggling to remember and have followed City since the late 60s. Today Moore, Vaulkes, Harris and Wilson... so 3 forwards making it even more rare.

Of course some smart arse will point out it was this year and ruin my thread. I remember King, Jones and Toshack in same starting line up and maybe Derrett on occasions. Anything more recent?
    Peter King was English, born in Worcester.

Regarding Sam Hammam and Welsh players, I'm not denying that there was a desire from him to bring through Welsh players from the Academy and, to be fair, he walked the walk so to speak in getting Academy status for us, while others since him have talked a good game about youth development while doing little to promote it. During our first season under Sam in what I still call division four, we signed roughly equal numbers of Welsh and non Welsh players, with Danny Gabbidon turning out to be a brilliant recruit and Rhys Weston a good one. However, in 01/02 when we really pushed the boat out and began the process which, apparently, saw the club end up with the third highest wage bill in the Football League while still in the third tier, we only signed two Welshmen (Layton Maxwell and Leon Jeanne) while bringing in ten non Welsh players and this process continued throughout the rest of Hammam's time at Cardiff - the trend which has seen Welsh players all but disappear from City's first team in recent years began under Hammam's reign.

Peter King was Ingurlish. (from Worcester, I think)

31st October 1962. 11.

Peter King wasn’t Welsh sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Peter King wasn’t Welsh sorry to say.
    See post 10

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    See post 8

See post 10
    I didn’t say he was Ingurlish, just said he wasn’t Welsh

Worcester isn’t in Ingurslovakia

And in the late 80s/90s with Damon Seattle, Jason Perry, Allan Lewis, Gareth Abraham and a few other youngsters like Chris Fry, Chris Summers and Lee Stephens.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    And in the late 80s/90s with Damon Seattle, Jason Perry, Allan Lewis, Gareth Abraham and a few other youngsters like Chris Fry, Chris Summers and Lee Stephens.
    Damon was American surely

He rebranded our badge to but not many spoke up hhmmm

Last time we played European competition in 1993 , Standard Liege, 13 of the 16 players in the squad had to be Welsh due to competition rules.

6th May 2007 we had 4 welsh players on the pitch at the same time, but not starting the match.

Let's be honest, while Moore currently plays for Wales, he isn't actually Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Let's be honest, while Moore currently plays for Wales, he isn't actually Welsh.
    Oh christ, don't start or you'll wake up that guy who was obsessed with Ashley Williams again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Oh christ, don't start or you'll wake up that guy who was obsessed with Ashley Williams again.

In fairness, he never seemed particularly concerned about the other non-Welsh players who were or are turning out for Wales, so there was obviously something more to his pathological hatred of Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

In fairness, he never seemed particularly concerned about the other non-Welsh players who were or are turning out for Wales, so there was obviously something more to his pathological hatred of Williams.
    I think the fact that he was captain more so that the Swansea link in fairness.
    There can't be many English born Welsh players who have contributed as much as he did though.