+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pubs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I have very little faith in most people. Indeed, I have very little faith in our species, full stop. However, having been to a couple of pubs and restaurants on a small handful of occasions since this crap began, I can testify that a large majority of the people who were present were being as careful as possible, and the staff at the venues themselves had done pretty much everything asked of them in terms of social distancing measures.

We had a two-week national lockdown here in Wales a short while ago. That was supposed to 'save Christmas' and give us a bit more freedom until the New Year at least. It hasn't.

As for your claim that there is data to back up the decisions the governments are making, that has long since ceased to be the case. These muppets stopped 'following the science' months ago. And that's according to the scientists themselves.
    There has to be data or expert opinion based on facts. Whether they're correct or not is another thing altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There has to be data or expert opinion based on facts. Whether they're correct or not is another thing altogether.
    Drakeford himself has stated that the biggest problem by a distance in Wales is household transmission. The evidence that transmission is occurring at any significant rate in pubs and restaurants is thin to put it mildly - the paper the WAG used to justify their recent firebreak lockdown confirmed as much.

You'll remember a couple of weeks ago that I was upset when the noble First Minister and his merry men deemed that the Welsh public couldn't be trusted to meet one another on a socially-distanced basis in each other's gardens. This meant I couldn't visit my terminally ill sister-in-law and, more importantly, most of her closest friends couldn't visit her either. It was, however, fine for people to meet up with others from up to four households in pubs and restaurants. The theory apparently was that the pubs and restaurants are such regulated environments at present that the risk of transmission in such settings was very slim. Nevertheless, here we are a couple of weeks further down the line and those places are shut again anyway.

As you know, I went to my local for the first time in months on a midweek evening a couple of weeks ago. It was like a military operation - table booked in advance, full details of me and my mate logged, table service only, plastic screens up between tables, masks required when using the toilets, etc. To be honest, it wasn't much fun, but it was good to see my friend again and I felt confident that the chance of picking up the virus from anyone except him was absolute zero. I was supposed to be seeing Kate for the first time since February on Saturday, but Drakeford's put a stop to that. I know I'm biased as I cannot stand the man, but this latest measure seems totally over the top to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Drakeford himself has stated that the biggest problem by a distance in Wales is household transmission. The evidence that transmission is occurring at any significant rate in pubs and restaurants is thin to put it mildly - the paper the WAG used to justify their recent firebreak lockdown confirmed as much.

You'll remember a couple of weeks ago that I was upset when the noble First Minister and his merry men deemed that the Welsh public couldn't be trusted to meet one another on a socially-distanced basis in each other's gardens. This meant I couldn't visit my terminally ill sister-in-law and, more importantly, most of her closest friends couldn't visit her either. It was, however, fine for people to meet up with others from up to four households in pubs and restaurants. The theory apparently was that the pubs and restaurants are such regulated environments at present that the risk of transmission in such settings was very slim. Nevertheless, here we are a couple of weeks further down the line and those places are shut again anyway.

As you know, I went to my local for the first time in months on a midweek evening a couple of weeks ago. It was like a military operation - table booked in advance, full details of me and my mate logged, table service only, plastic screens up between tables, masks required when using the toilets, etc. To be honest, it wasn't much fun, but it was good to see my friend again and I felt confident that the chance of picking up the virus from anyone except him was absolute zero. I was supposed to be seeing Kate for the first time since February on Saturday, but Drakeford's put a stop to that. I know I'm biased as I cannot stand the man, but this latest measure seems totally over the top to me.
    Could well be over the top, i'm not disputing that, i've not read up on anything to be honest in order to sway my opinion. I would have thought (like delm alluded to) that the issue is much greater in the city centre bars, pubs, especially in the suburbs are essentially restaurants now, i'm sure that they can be regulated.

I do have some sympathy with Drakeford though, even with that prick Boris, mistakes are going to be made, the info isn't always going to add up etc. Drakeford is certainly more cautious. I'd like to see what he's basing his decision making on before i have a concrete opinion. Most people have had a **** full, but i don't think that anecdotal evidence based on preference helps anyone. We have to trust the scientists and medical bods.