+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pubs

Re: Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Could well be over the top, i'm not disputing that, i've not read up on anything to be honest in order to sway my opinion. I would have thought (like delm alluded to) that the issue is much greater in the city centre bars, pubs, especially in the suburbs are essentially restaurants now, i'm sure that they can be regulated.

I do have some sympathy with Drakeford though, even with that prick Boris, mistakes are going to be made, the info isn't always going to add up etc. Drakeford is certainly more cautious. I'd like to see what he's basing his decision making on before i have a concrete opinion. Most people have had a **** full, but i don't think that anecdotal evidence based on preference helps anyone. We have to trust the scientists and medical bods.
    And with all the vaccines coming online it won’t be last too much longer. Another few months of this shit and we can put it all behind us hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No it is not, and it is totally unnecessary. Destroy something that has endured for hundreds of years, something which as epitomised British culture for generations just because they cannot think of anything better to do.
    I've been castigated for saying this before but it seems to be being driven by people who really do want pubs closed permanently, just like you say
    The concept of 'The Pub' isn't going to die because of covid.

International

I couldn't care less about people who want to have a pint on the weekend.
    That is obvious. Just because you don't yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    And with all the vaccines coming online it won’t be last too much longer. Another few months of this shit and we can put it all behind us hopefully.
    Well said

Do you really think that i base my thoughts and decisions based on only what i like to do? Have a read through this thread snaggs, you're pulling the wrong person

Well said
    Everyone is sick of it as well, we would all like to see friends and family more often. It’s been a shite year for me and Im sure it has been for everyone but it could always have been worse. All we need is a few more months of not doing exactly what we want all the time and it will save people’s lives.

The concept of Pubs isn’t going anywhere because of a few more months of covid.

I want to have a pint at the weekend I’ve been locked down for a month but I don’t mind not for a few more months because it means fewer people will die. I can wait 2 months to have another pint to stop someone else never having a pint again.

International

I want to have a pint at the weekend I’ve been locked down for a month but I don’t mind not for a few more months because it means fewer people will die. I can wait 2 months to have another pint to stop someone else never having a pint again.
    I agree, I just hope your preferred pub is still there to serve you. I think most people want to see evidence for the closure considering the First minister himself stated that pubs and restaurants aren't the problem.

International

Do you really think that i base my thoughts and decisions based on only what i like to do? Have a read through this thread snaggs, you're pulling the wrong person
    Not pulling anyone, it's you who used the phrase "I couldn't care less about people.............."

I agree, I just hope your preferred pub is still there to serve you. I think most people want to see evidence for the closure considering the First minister himself stated that pubs and restaurants aren't the problem.
    There’s modelling of how the virus behaves in indoor spaces and plenty of statistics to back up how much the eat out to help out and pubs contributed to the second wave.

The end is in sight, people moaning about wanting a pint sounds a bit shit to me.

We all hope our pub is still here to save us, it’s shit how the sun is economy has suffered because of this and there should be more protection for independent businesses. But how many deaths is worth keeping a business open?

International

There’s modelling of how the virus behaves in indoor spaces and plenty of statistics to back up how much the eat out to help out and pubs contributed to the second wave.

The end is in sight, people moaning about wanting a pint sounds a bit shit to me.

We all hope our pub is still here to save us, it’s shit how the sun is economy has suffered because of this and there should be more protection for independent businesses. But how many deaths is worth keeping a business open?
    I agree with what you say, but preventing people from going for a drink in a properly controlled environment will lead to more people buying from a supermarket and having piss ups in homes where there is no social distancing control at all. Which is the lesser of the 2 evils?
    Perhaps if the government barred all alcohols sales from everywhere EXCEPT pubs and restaurants that might have a far greater affect.
    People often look at a problem from the wrong perspective.

Yeah I’ve got no idea how they manage that, did people stop going to each other’s houses when the pubs were open though? Or did they go to the pub then to each other’s houses?

More preudoi-political bullshit.

The virus and Brexit are 2 completely separate issues. You'll be telling us next the virus was manufactured and spread all over the world just so we, the British, took our attention off Brexit.
    Oh hang on - isn't that what you already just implied?
    Less food and drink in restaurants and pubs to free up transport for post brexit.
    Restrictions to prevent mass food riots?

I suppose the Labour party would have stayed in Europe, so not needed the transport freed up, and could have let everyone do as the pleased in the pandemic because there would be no danger of food riots.

Yeah, right!!!!

you are joking. Please tell me this is a woosh!
    Fraid not. The "this" refers to lockdowns/tiers not a manufactured virus let loose on purpose. Felixstowe is already rammed with containers trying to get stuff into UK prior to Brexit. Getting empty containers back to Far East is also a logistical image. If the UK governments opened up hospitality big time a. Demand for food/drink would outstrip supply b. CV would spread so quickly as people mingle more that NHS would be overwhelmed and the Nightingale hospitals dont have the staff to make them function. It is in governments' interests to keep demand for optional food purchases in hospitality settings down. Very little about Brexit makes the news as a result.

I agree with what you say, but preventing people from going for a drink in a properly controlled environment will lead to more people buying from a supermarket and having piss ups in homes where there is no social distancing control at all. Which is the lesser of the 2 evils?
    Perhaps if the government barred all alcohols sales from everywhere EXCEPT pubs and restaurants that might have a far greater affect.
    People often look at a problem from the wrong perspective.
    Didn't Drakeford once say it spreads more in homes , so why attack pubs , folk will now revert to home parties fueled by cheap booze ?

Surprised that restaurants have to shut too....with jan and Feb generally being quiet a lot might not open again, despite the fact a vaccine is to be rolled out in the next week or two.

An economy now wholly reliant on people swilling beer down their necks. That’s Britain 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    An economy now wholly reliant on people swilling beer down their necks. That’s Britain 2020.
    Who has made that claim (apart from you)?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Indeed, and if that's the case then shut the city and town centres from 6:00pm. But don't shut the entire country's pubs and restaurants down just because you can.

It's a pity the city council aren't in charge of this. Those twats would close down the city centre in a heartbeat given a chance.

It does seem unfair but it's probably true that if you shut down the city and town centres at 6pm and leave the quieter outskirts pubs open until late you'll have those full of young drinkers on a night out once town's shut

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Didn't Drakeford once say it spreads more in homes , so why attack pubs , folk will now revert to home parties fueled by cheap booze ?
    So these people having house parties fuelled by cheap booze would otherwise behave responsibly if they could just go down the pub?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It does seem unfair but it's probably true that if you shut down the city and town centres at 6pm and leave the quieter outskirts pubs open until late you'll have those full of young drinkers on a night out once town's shut
    Late? That’s a thing of the past. It was 10pm and as the great man told us, that was a permission, not an invitation.

Cheap booze in supermarkets has been putting the boot into pubs for a few years now, time was you’d very rarely see a trolley with beer in, now it’s the norm. When the pubs started to struggle 10/15 years ago, perhaps longer, I suggested put a pound on a can in a supermarket and knock a pound off a pint in a pub, anything to turn the tide. It’s gone too far now though I fear and covid is another massive nail in the coffin. So sad if, like us of a certain age, you remember the pub being the centre of the community, the landlord a respected character and going out for a pint, a game of skittles or darts was a reasonably cheap night out and a great way of bonding with people. Sat at home nursing a can just cannot be the same but that’s what people seem to be forced into doing to the detriment of society in my opinion.

I’m no supporter of the Welsh Government’s record on coronavirus restrictions but given the current situation I don’t see how they could do anything else but shutdown indoor hospitality. The R rate in Wales is way over 1 which means the virus is spreading exponentially. Transmission occurs in indoor environments where people meet and gather together in close proximity for extended periods of time like in pubs and restaurants.

Today’s decision is a political embarrassment for the Welsh Government and an admission that their decision to open everything up after the short firebreak was a serious error. It was just about the last thing they wanted to do but they had no choice. Their motivation taking this decision was to protect the NHS and save lives and they get my support for that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So these people having house parties fuelled by cheap booze would otherwise behave responsibly if they could just go down the pub?
    I’m not sure the same type of people go to pubs. Pubs aren’t cheap. 10 cans at home = 2 pints in pub. Not much cash about, stay at home and get pissed wins

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    I’m no supporter of the Welsh Government’s record on coronavirus restrictions but given the current situation I don’t see how they could do anything else but shutdown indoor hospitality. The R rate in Wales is way over 1 which means the virus is spreading exponentially. Transmission occurs in indoor environments where people meet and gather together in close proximity for extended periods of time like in pubs and restaurants.

Today’s decision is a political embarrassment for the Welsh Government and an admission that their decision to open everything up after the short firebreak was a serious error. It was just about the last thing they wanted to do but they had no choice. Their motivation taking this decision was to protect the NHS and save lives and they get my support for that.
    That's pretty much how i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cheap booze in supermarkets has been putting the boot into pubs for a few years now, time was you’d very rarely see a trolley with beer in, now it’s the norm. When the pubs started to struggle 10/15 years ago, perhaps longer, I suggested put a pound on a can in a supermarket and knock a pound off a pint in a pub, anything to turn the tide. It’s gone too far now though I fear and covid is another massive nail in the coffin. So sad if, like us of a certain age, you remember the pub being the centre of the community, the landlord a respected character and going out for a pint, a game of skittles or darts was a reasonably cheap night out and a great way of bonding with people. Sat at home nursing a can just cannot be the same but that’s what people seem to be forced into doing to the detriment of society in my opinion.
    It’s the way today, lack of social skills, all social media. Pubs used to provide a ray of hope for folk who had no one to chat to at home. I used to love just heading out to pubs and clubs knowing I’d see loads of people I knew, didn’t need to arrange anything, you just knew they’d be there.....