+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pubs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It does seem unfair but it's probably true that if you shut down the city and town centres at 6pm and leave the quieter outskirts pubs open until late you'll have those full of young drinkers on a night out once town's shut
    Late? That’s a thing of the past. It was 10pm and as the great man told us, that was a permission, not an invitation.

Cheap booze in supermarkets has been putting the boot into pubs for a few years now, time was you’d very rarely see a trolley with beer in, now it’s the norm. When the pubs started to struggle 10/15 years ago, perhaps longer, I suggested put a pound on a can in a supermarket and knock a pound off a pint in a pub, anything to turn the tide. It’s gone too far now though I fear and covid is another massive nail in the coffin. So sad if, like us of a certain age, you remember the pub being the centre of the community, the landlord a respected character and going out for a pint, a game of skittles or darts was a reasonably cheap night out and a great way of bonding with people. Sat at home nursing a can just cannot be the same but that’s what people seem to be forced into doing to the detriment of society in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cheap booze in supermarkets has been putting the boot into pubs for a few years now, time was you’d very rarely see a trolley with beer in, now it’s the norm. When the pubs started to struggle 10/15 years ago, perhaps longer, I suggested put a pound on a can in a supermarket and knock a pound off a pint in a pub, anything to turn the tide. It’s gone too far now though I fear and covid is another massive nail in the coffin. So sad if, like us of a certain age, you remember the pub being the centre of the community, the landlord a respected character and going out for a pint, a game of skittles or darts was a reasonably cheap night out and a great way of bonding with people. Sat at home nursing a can just cannot be the same but that’s what people seem to be forced into doing to the detriment of society in my opinion.
    It’s the way today, lack of social skills, all social media. Pubs used to provide a ray of hope for folk who had no one to chat to at home. I used to love just heading out to pubs and clubs knowing I’d see loads of people I knew, didn’t need to arrange anything, you just knew they’d be there.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s the way today, lack of social skills, all social media. Pubs used to provide a ray of hope for folk who had no one to chat to at home. I used to love just heading out to pubs and clubs knowing I’d see loads of people I knew, didn’t need to arrange anything, you just knew they’d be there.....
    Social and sporting (admittedly for men) Pool teams, darts, skittles, affiliated to leagues and run properly. Football teams, it wasn't uncommon to have a firsts and a seconds run out of the local boozer. It must be said though that society has changed massively over the past 25 years, particularly the role of a man, add to that the demise of the traditional working class industries in manufacturing and heavy industry where people worked together for years, add to that family members etc. That side of a community is almost all gone. The days when a bloke could go on the piss for ten hours on a saturday and the wife and kids could lump it are long gone

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Late? That’s a thing of the past. It was 10pm and as the great man told us, that was a permission, not an invitation.
    when the pub you're in closes at 6pm, then 10pm is late