+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I know you're all wondering, so here's the answer

I know you're all wondering, so here's the answer

The last time we won 2 home games in succession scoring 7 (or more) and keeping 2 clean sheets was October/November 2002. We thrashed Tranmere 4-0 and then managed a surprise 3-0 win over Peterborough.

Our scorers over those two games were Peter Thorne, Robert Earnshaw, Graham Kavanagh, and a surprising scorer of the last goal in both games was Rhys Weston!

Prior to that there were 7 other occasions of scoring 7 in 2 successive home games without conceding, 3 occurrances of 8 without conceding, 1 of 9 without conceding, 2 of 10 without conceding. The record was set in December 1931, where we won 8-0 and 4-0 against Enfield and Leyton Orient in the FA cup in successive games. That was the start of an incredible run of scoring 42 goals in 8 home games, including our legendary 9-2 thrashing of Thames. TOBW's match report is still available online.

Re: I know you're all wondering, so here's the answer

We beat some Norwegian team (Mjondallen??) by a cricket score over two legs in the ECWCup in the early 70's I think. I've also got a vague memory of doing the same to some Greek or Cypriot team round the same tme.
    This might be bollocks since it's only from memory and I wouldn't know where to start looking it up. Anyone remember that?

Re: I know you're all wondering, so here's the answer

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    We beat some Norwegian team (Mjondallen??) by a cricket score over two legs in the ECWCup in the early 70's I think. I've also got a vague memory of doing the same to some Greek or Cypriot team round the same tme.
    This might be bollocks since it's only from memory and I wouldn't know where to start looking it up. Anyone remember that?
    12-2. 7-1 at home, 5-1 away. Mjondalen were a 2nd tier Norwegian side who lost their domestic cup final, but as Lyn Oslo had won the league, Mjondalen took the Norwegian spot in the Cup Winners' Cup.

In the same round, Belgian side Lierse spanked Cypriot side Apoel 11-1 on aggregate. Lierse would then lose 8-0 in the next round to eventual winners, Man City.