+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Planning question

Planning question

Has anyone any knowledge of the planning process that can offer some advice please?

I've live in a semi detached property for the past year. My neighbour was renovating the property when I bought mine and I looked at his plans. Nothing seemed untoward and he had a dressing room planned for against our adjoining bedroom wall.

He has now moved in and has put a en suit bathroom against the adjoining bedroom, not a dressing room. I wouldn't mind but our walls are paper thin and I'm kept awake by his bathroom activities in the middle of the night.

I've tried to talk to him about it but he was quite dismissive of my points. He claims its all been "signed off" by building regs and planning. I don't particularly want to fall out over this but I'm concerned something's not correct.

Should I take this up with the council planning dept. Or should I just buy a good pair of ear plugs?

Thanks in advance

Re: Planning question

I'm not entirely sure about this but as long as there are no alterations to the footprint area or to the elevations submitted on the drawings then there isn't a lot you can do.

Just an observation, shouldn't half of you be living in a stable?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about this but as long as there are no alterations to the footprint area or to the elevations submitted on the drawings then there isn't a lot you can do.

This was my first thought aswell (not the bit about the stable).
    Could you consider installing some soundproofing on that wall?

I'm looking into soundproofing but it's costly and I'll lose 10-15cm of the room.

Ps it's too cold for the stable in December 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Planning might not be concerned, but building regs will be. However, I have no idea how the OP would go about finding out if it has all been signed off correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2man1/2horse View Post
    I'm looking into soundproofing but it's costly and I'll lose 10-15cm of the room.

Ps it's too cold for the stable in December 🤣
    Soundproofing is really hard to make effective, depending on the type of noise you are trying to mask. I feel your pain, we had a semi and the couple next door had two kids and no real parenting skills. I did soundproof the walls but once you know the noise is there you will always hear it even if the sound is muffled. What age is the house?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Planning might not be concerned, but building regs will be. However, I have no idea how the OP would go about finding out if it has all been signed off correctly.
    I'd not be afraid to call and ask. You never know, the bco might do something to check. Our neighbors were going to do something stupid near our boundary, I called the bco and he was on site in an hour. I'm sure there is a mechanism for reporting breaches. Of course there may be none and building control may have signed off, but if the work deviates from the plans so significantly then it may not all be above board.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Soundproofing is really hard to make effective, depending on the type of noise you are trying to mask. I feel your pain, we had a semi and the couple next door had two kids and no real parenting skills. I did soundproof the walls but once you know the noise is there you will always hear it even if the sound is muffled. What age is the house?
    The house is 90 odd years old. There appears to be no cavity is the party wall, just single block.
    My neighbour has had a visit from building regs and he states everything has been signed off. The frustrating thing is, if I'd have known there was going to be a bathroom on the party wall, I wouldn't have bought the house.

I think the only thing I can do is ask my neighbour if he can minimise noise at night time.

Ps anyone wanna buy a house?🤣