+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could have one former player back now

Feedback

Re: If you could have one former player back now

I'm going for Alan Lewis, football genius. A rare bit of brilliance at home v Lincoln if I remember correctly. Got the ball inside his own 18 yard box, took on about 4 or 5 of the opposition, got to the halfway line and then proceeded to give away a corner

collective amnesia on here clearly, who could forget the impact Eddie Johnson had in his short loan at the club, an incredible 50% of his goals scored in the opposition net, technically a solid 1 in 2 striker!

But seriously, i'd want Seyi Olofinjana back because i've made up a great song for him rhyming the words 'hollow piņata' and 'swallowing banana'..

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Who would it be (has to be the form they played for us)

Apart from the obvious (Rambo, Bellamy etc) for me a 2013 Jordan Mutch
    Whitts, at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    collective amnesia on here clearly, who could forget the impact Eddie Johnson had in his short loan at the club, an incredible 50% of his goals scored in the opposition net, technically a solid 1 in 2 striker!

But seriously, i'd want Seyi Olofinjana back because i've made up a great song for him rhyming the words 'hollow piņata' and 'swallowing banana'..
    Is that set to the tune of the banana boat song by Harry Bellafonte?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is that set to the tune of the banana boat song by Harry Bellafonte?

i'm afraid not, it's to the tune of 'We Are The Cheeky Girls' by the... erm... Cheeky Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post

i'm afraid not, it's to the tune of 'We Are The Cheeky Girls' by the... erm... Cheeky Girls.
    That's a shame, as it fits so perfectly I now can't hear that song without changing it to

"come mr tally man, swallowing banana"

John Charles was the best and most expensive player in the world in the 60’s and I saw him score his first goal for us from the half way line against Norwich!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Gibson would be another good shout or Farrell producing the Middlesbrough display week in, week out, then again anyone who witnessed that display, Farrell would be the only horse in the race.
    Indeed and Alan Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Llanrumney High
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Correct
    I remember the plaque on the wall showing his name , lots of Welsh Rugby and Baseball caps , and world world class playground fighting school.

I remember the plaque on the wall showing his name , lots of Welsh Rugby and Baseball caps , and world world class playground fighting school.
    Not quite the same profile as Whitchurch, with Bale, Warburton and Geraint Thomas but we had Rodrigues, Andy Fairweather-Low and my schoolteacher Gerald Davies.

Not quite the same profile as Whitchurch, with Bale, Warburton and Geraint Thomas but we had Rodrigues, Andy Fairweather-Low and my schoolteacher Gerald Davies.
    I went to Llanishen, and there were basically no famous alumni

A midfielder is the obvious choice to boost the current team, so it depends how far back you want to go and I go way back !

But I would go for a player who when fit made the midfield run like a well-oiled machine and without him it just did not function. That player would be Ricky Scimeca.
    Scimeca was excellent at what he did... collect the ball deep, drive forward with it and release a 'forward pass' to feet, at exactly the right moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Scimeca was excellent at what he did... collect the ball deep, drive forward with it and release a 'forward pass' to feet, at exactly the right moment.
    Him and McPhail were a great double pivot in the Dave Jones system, one right footed, one left footed - great passing range from both

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    John Charles was the best and most expensive player in the world in the 60’s and I saw him score his first goal for us from the half way line against Norwich!
    So did I😀

I remember that John Charles goal too. He would be my choice as he could be a 1st choice centre half or centre forward. Perhaps I could sneak in Ivor Allchurch as well to supply the ammunition?

If we wanted John Charles back it would need to be the JC that played for Juventus in his hey day and not the JC that played for us who was past his best and had a major knee problem.

No doubt whatever on this one. I'd been pondering on the conundrum we have - players capable of automatically promotion, first rate stadium and facilities etc etc.... There's a missing ingredient to isn't there? Something to meld the different excellent component parts into a smoothe machine? Something to join the glimpses of halting brilliance into a consistent and confident operation.

What I've thought to myself so many times is "If only we had someone like Ian Gibson now".

Many might not remember him but he was a determined midfield general ,somewhat in the mold of Billy Bremner you might say. He could score the odd goal too of course, but he was incredibly determined whatever the circumstances and would NOT allow others to fall into a trance during a game .

That's who I'd have back then without a doubt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuwPJ_kFx48

Only clip I could find when he was playing for Coventry

Llanrumney High
    Known as Ball Road when Rodrigues went there, I think the name Llanrumney High came later.

Earnie.

Brian Harris
    Much as I loved to watch Brian Harris play for us, he'd be red-carded every game now.

We had a Giorgio Chinaglia at Lady Mary, star of Italian, American and ....erm... Swansea Town reject

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We had a Giorgio Chinaglia at Lady Mary, star of Italian, American and ....erm... Swansea Town reject
    I had several mates who went to Lady Mary and remember them telling me that. Do you know Gary or Mike Sullivan ?

I had several mates who went to Lady Mary and remember them telling me that. Do you know Gary or Mike Sullivan ?
    Clicker and Lanky from Sedgemoor Rd, Llanrumney. Gary was in my class throughout, retired copper now. Mike was a couple of years older, both lovely fellas