+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you could have one former player back now

Re: If you could have one former player back now

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Who would it be (has to be the form they played for us)

Apart from the obvious (Rambo, Bellamy etc) for me a 2013 Jordan Mutch
    For this team, Gary O'Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Not quite the same profile as Whitchurch, with Bale, Warburton and Geraint Thomas but we had Rodrigues, Andy Fairweather-Low and my schoolteacher Gerald Davies.
    Not trying to compete , Gerald Davies was our PE Teacher remember him in his purple Loughborough tracksuit. His brother took us to our national Basketball Championship game which we won, I still have that medal, very proud moment and memory .

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Clicker and Lanky from Sedgemoor Rd, Llanrumney. Gary was in my class throughout, retired copper now. Mike was a couple of years older, both lovely fellas
    I lived next door to Gary and Mike , its their fault I like Sabbath , Zeppelin and football .

Both good footballers, Gary went onto a high profile job in the police . Mike was a very bright lad not sure where he ended up , their dad Donald was a right character , their mum was a lovely lady as was their sister .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I lived next door to Gary and Mike , its their fault I like Sabbath , Zeppelin and football .

Both good footballers, Gary went onto a high profile job in the police . Mike was a very bright lad not sure where he ended up , their dad Donald was a right character , their mum was a lovely lady as was their sister .
    Weren’t they a tall family!!!! Always remember a mate of theirs who lived in the nearby maisonettes, John Wedlock, Gary used to call him Wetcock which quickly morphed into John Drippingprick, this covert brutality helped no end in his later rise in the South Wales Police

Weren’t they a tall family!!!! Always remember a mate of theirs who lived in the nearby maisonettes, John Wedlock, Gary used to call him Wetcock which quickly morphed into John Drippingprick, this covert brutality helped no end in his later rise in the South Wales Police
    Yes Gary was tall , Mike even taller, the old man was a big formidable strong man . .

Gary thought he was George Best lol.

Mike was a brain box .

The maisonettes were at the beginning of our streets by the bus stop , John was a resident as was members of the Actie family , a lad called Dougie Actie was a good friend,good goalkeeper .

Heady times and a very unforgiving tough estate .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I went to Llanishen, and there were basically no famous alumni
    We had Andy Moore the Welsh Scrum half (not the more famous second row) and more recently the cyclists Elinor and Megan Barker. Tanni Grey Thompson would have gone there but the place was totally unsuitable for a wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    We had Andy Moore the Welsh Scrum half (not the more famous second row) and more recently the cyclists Elinor and Megan Barker. Tanni Grey Thompson would have gone there but the place was totally unsuitable for a wheelchair
    I stand by my original statement

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Unless you have some other inside knowledge that would have made Llanishen an option for her, then your assertion she would have gone there is bullshit. She went to St Cyres in Penarth - she was a few years younger than me but her attendance there is well known. Where does llanishen fit in

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    John Toshack.
    How I loved standing in the Grange End watching Toshack make a name for himself. He was such an exciting striker, and my childhood hero.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No doubt whatever on this one. I'd been pondering on the conundrum we have - players capable of automatically promotion, first rate stadium and facilities etc etc.... There's a missing ingredient to isn't there? Something to meld the different excellent component parts into a smoothe machine? Something to join the glimpses of halting brilliance into a consistent and confident operation.

What I've thought to myself so many times is "If only we had someone like Ian Gibson now".

Many might not remember him but he was a determined midfield general ,somewhat in the mold of Billy Bremner you might say. He could score the odd goal too of course, but he was incredibly determined whatever the circumstances and would NOT allow others to fall into a trance during a game .

That's who I'd have back then without a doubt.
    I nominated Koumas earlier but Ian Gibson 1970-72 was another hugely gifted midfielder who was a pleasure to watch.

The OP asked which one player we could have back now - we are desperately short of class in midfield and we've had some very good players in the middle of the park over my 60+ years of watching City. But for me, Koumas and Gibson had that little bit of class to put them just ahead of Stephen McPhail (silky smooth) and Peter Whittingham (scored some terrific goals).

Any one of them would be a godsend right now.

Tough question but I'll stick with my initial reaction of Koumas, we're missing the front to back linking midfielder. So many other good candidates listed above, interesting the nominations are bereft of anyone from the 80/90's, except Tony Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Unless you have some other inside knowledge that would have made Llanishen an option for her, then your assertion she would have gone there is bullshit. She went to St Cyres in Penarth - she was a few years younger than me but her attendance there is well known. Where does llanishen fit in
    Her sister went there and they lived in the catchment area.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Tough question but I'll stick with my initial reaction of Koumas, we're missing the front to back linking midfielder. So many other good candidates listed above, interesting the nominations are bereft of anyone from the 80/90's, except Tony Evans.
    Tony Evans was the 70’s but you’re right that there weren’t many from that era picked, which I find strange, particularly as Tony Evans ‘walked on water’

I’d take a 1982 Dave Bennett as my 2nd choice

Clicker and Lanky from Sedgemoor Rd, Llanrumney. Gary was in my class throughout, retired copper now. Mike was a couple of years older, both lovely fellas
    That's them ! My best mates growing up and we remained friends for a long time. Gary even used to sing in my (non-performing) band ! Went to each others weddings and still get a Christmas card from Mike, who incidentally married a French girl that came over here as a student, staying with my missus before we got married. Haven't seen either of them for 10 years or more. You probably know Nigel Fenlan then, who for memory was even taller than Michael !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That's them ! My best mates growing up and we remained friends for a long time. Gary even used to sing in my (non-performing) band ! Went to each others weddings and still get a Christmas card from Mike, who incidentally married a French girl that came over here as a student, staying with my missus before we got married. Haven't seen either of them for 10 years or more. You probably know Nigel Fenlan then, who for memory was even taller than Michael !
    Yep, Nigel Fenlon from Withycombe Rd? was in my class as well in Lady Mary as well.

Yep, Nigel Fenlon from Withycombe Rd? was in my class as well in Lady Mary as well.
    The very same. He had a brother, whose name escapes me. We used to go round his house to listen to music. For memory he was a big fan of The Who and Family. I lived in Sedgemoor too so not too far a hike to Nigel's.

Choose anyone other than Ian Gibson and you couldn't have seen him play.

McNaughton

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Choose anyone other than Ian Gibson and you couldn't have seen him play.
    He's my favourite ever City player but I chose Scimeca because based on the current batch of players he would provide the link between defence and attack that we are currently missing and have been for some time.

International

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    John Toshack.
    Feck off, he's much to old!!!