+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Imagine we had sacked Harris

Imagine we had sacked Harris

And a new manager had come in, and the last two games panned out exactly as they happened anyway, bringing in Mark Harris,and winning comfortably twice.

The new manager would be being exalted to the heavens and any remaining supporters of Harris would be conceding that he wasn't up to the job.

In fact we've gone from getting slightly worse results than we probably deserved (Coventry aside) to getting slightly better results than we've probably deserved (although we have deserved the wins undoubtedly)

Yes we've improved, but I'd say the performances have improved a bit, but the results have improved massively.

Just goes to show the danger of reading too much into small sets of data.

Re: Imagine we had sacked Harris

Fair points, but we lose at Watford and Stoke and Harris will be back to square one in many people's eyes, however, I think the last two matches have put any claims that he had lost the dressing room to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fair points, but we lose at Watford and Stoke and Harris will be back to square one in many people's eyes, however, I think the last two matches have put any claims that he had lost the dressing room to bed.
    I dont think so, we were expected to maybe win those home games, albeit Luton had been doing quite well. I think Stoke will do ok this year and Watford are strong still.....two tough games

Fickly speaking though if we should win both those games it’ll flip to ‘we’re going up as champions’

Potentially but I think they're fighting for him, and anything over 4 points from the next 3 would be a major result. If we can stay the same points total off the playoffs as we are now after our December, I'd say that would be fairly impressive.

Two games, no defensive errors. Two games, players 'getting stuck in from the off'. We're heading down Warnock way, albeit with a weaker squad. The players are obviously on board with their manager. It's a blatantly obvious fact, but if you don't make a mistake at the back and keep focused for 90 minutes, you're half the way there. A 3rd of possession but essentially the same shots etc. Tellingly though we created chances, they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Two games, no defensive errors. Two games, players 'getting stuck in from the off'. We're heading down Warnock way, albeit with a weaker squad. The players are obviously on board with their manager. It's a blatantly obvious fact, but if you don't make a mistake at the back and keep focused for 90 minutes, you're half the way there. A 3rd of possession but essentially the same shots etc. Tellingly though we created chances, they didn't.
    We might have a Warnock-esque midfield but please tell me when Warnock had the fullbacks bombing on as Bacuna was doing yesterday or the striker dropping to half-way line and becoming a number 10? We're more Atletico Madrid than Warnock's Cardiff these past two games.

Can we also highlight the effort put in by Ojo and Harry Wilson? They're players who want to score goals in the premier league but are, at times, playing like second full-backs one moment then sprinting up the pitch the next. A huge amount of ugly work being done by them and still producing moments of high quality in an attacking sense.

The possession stats can make it very misleading making one draw the conclusion and report that we must be a long ball team.

Look at the amount of fouls referee Friend gave against us yesterday and many were just plain bad decisions.
    Our fouls were twice as many as Huddersfield, 17 to 9 with the same number of shots, same on target but we had twice as many corners as they, 4 to 2.
    From that lot you'd think the game would be close but in reality, it was a comfortable win.

Conceding fouls gives possession straight back to the opposition and can distort everything.
    I hate your Grealish-type players who go to ground at the slightest touch and I don't think we have many of them, perhaps we should to get our possession stats up

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    And a new manager had come in, and the last two games panned out exactly as they happened anyway, bringing in Mark Harris,and winning comfortably twice.

The new manager would be being exalted to the heavens and any remaining supporters of Harris would be conceding that he wasn't up to the job.

In fact we've gone from getting slightly worse results than we probably deserved (Coventry aside) to getting slightly better results than we've probably deserved (although we have deserved the wins undoubtedly)

Yes we've improved, but I'd say the performances have improved a bit, but the results have improved massively.

If we had sacked Harris I doubt if we would have appointed a new manager that quickly so it is likely that Dalman would be taking the plaudits of the two latest results u

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    We might have a Warnock-esque midfield but please tell me when Warnock had the fullbacks bombing on as Bacuna was doing yesterday or the striker dropping to half-way line and becoming a number 10? We're more Atletico Madrid than Warnock's Cardiff these past two games.

Can we also highlight the effort put in by Ojo and Harry Wilson? They're players who want to score goals in the premier league but are, at times, playing like second full-backs one moment then sprinting up the pitch the next. A huge amount of ugly work being done by them and still producing moments of high quality in an attacking sense.
    No doubt there are differences - we lack a decent central midfielder such as Gunnarson, and yes, Peltier didn't advance as much as Bacuna [!]. But Warnock instilled a steel-hardness into the squad which perhaps is beginning to show in this one. We've been making basic errors at the back week in week out so far this season but the last couple of games the defence - and the midfield when defending - have been faultless..

No doubt there are differences - we lack a decent central midfielder such as Gunnarson, and yes, Peltier didn't advance as much as Bacuna [!]. But Warnock instilled a steel-hardness into the squad which perhaps is beginning to show in this one. We've been making basic errors at the back week in week out so far this season but the last couple of games the defence - and the midfield when defending - have been faultless..
    We didn't have this issue under Harris for large periods. We were extremely resolute and we'd chuck bodies on the line. Let's not forget how awful we were under Warnock 13/14 months ago, and how good we were under Harris 4/5 months ago. We've got some of that back, we've always allowed a decent number of shots but we just chuck so many men at them to block it. I think we got hit with a playoff hangover, a shortened preseason and the NML situation which derailed us plus a number of the players were going through the motions. A 4-4-2 formation makes you play on the front foot more, too which has been one of our main issues as we've been so lethargic in the first half.

Yes we've improved, but I'd say the performances have improved a bit. Just goes to show the danger of reading too much into small sets of data.
    I've now seen the highlights and I reckon performances have improved by more than just a bit. Losing the ponderous Pack in centre midfield and gaining an improved Vaulks has been a huge plus and given us some drive and impetus. Ojo's crossing has been better and him appearing on the left hand side has made a difference, rather than whipping in crosses from further out angled in towards the keeper, he is now getting closer to the bye line and putting in more dangerous crosses.

Moore has scored 2 with his feet and I feel he's been asked to do less in the air. Mark Harris has made a terrific impact, worked well with Moore and probably made any thoughts of a Moore/Glatzel partnership redundant.

One comment from Jason Perry last night was that he could hear the players organising themselves, they were vocal and issuing instructions. Apparently that had been lacking somewhat.

I'm not so sure there is such a great danger with reading too much into small sets of data. Quite often a small improvement in something leads to a big improvement overall. I'd be interested in finding out how much pressure we've put on our last two opponents, how much ground we've covered and how whether we've been quicker around the pitch than before. My feeling is that all three have improved quite a bit. Against Coventry, the body language of so many of our players looked so wrong as they trudged around the pitch looking lost. The transformation has been great, obviously players have spoken up and said what they think. Harris has gambled on Harris and that has paid dividends.

I agree with the part above in bold, and the next couple of games will be telling.

As someone else pointed out, I wonder if the team scoring seven goals and Pack not starting is related? And is this the point at which Harris realises that playing Pack all the time doesn't work, just the like the realisation that Flint didn't fit in, after the QPR fiasco?

6 points from the next two or he can **** off.

Don't understand how you can think this is a weaker squad. We have a centre forward who scores goals, one of the best wide players/midfielders in the division, a top quality goalkeeper, an experienced and solid defence and strength off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Don't understand how you can think this is a weaker squad. We have a centre forward who scores goals, one of the best wide players/midfielders in the division, a top quality goalkeeper, an experienced and solid defence and strength off the bench.
    I'm under no illusions that this is a better squad than we had last season. That's why the poor start we've made until the last two games has been very frustrating.

In our promotion season we had an in form Zohore, and lots of our important players were at their peaks - Bamba and Hoilett were both really important for us that season, but they just aren't the same players now.
    We also had an actual right back.

Do you think the players outside the starting XI are better than the ones we had last year? If yes, we have a stronger squad but if it's only our starting XI that has improved...