+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: xG league table

Smile xG league table

take this with a big pinch of salt, as there are many different ways people are calculating xG and individual models can easily under / overrate individual teams who get a lot of a particular type of chance that their model doesn't rate as highly.

I think this table is based on a post shot xG only from shot locations, some of the other ones take I to account a lot more variables, where the defenders are, where the pass is from, game state etc.
    but thats not being critical, this guy presents his work really well and I'm sure he'd love to have access to more complex data.

IMG_20201205_232715.jpg

it does suggest that we could have been a bit higher up the table with a bit more luck, hopefully we continue this good run

Re: xG league table

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    take this with a big pinch of salt, as there are many different ways people are calculating xG and individual models can easily under / overrate individual teams who get a lot of a particular type of chance that their model doesn't rate as highly.

I think this table is based on a post shot xG only from shot locations, some of the other ones take I to account a lot more variables, where the defenders are, where the pass is from, game state etc.
    but thats not being critical, this guy presents his work really well and I'm sure he'd love to have access to more complex data.

IMG_20201205_232715.jpg

it does suggest that we could have been a bit higher up the table with a bit more luck, hopefully we continue this good run
    So we're a top 6 side. Good. So when we're languishing near the relegation zone and some fans think that's where we belong, they're talking out of their arse.

I honestly thought other than those 2 games when we were shite we were unlucky to be where we were. We’ve been playing good stuff and creating chances. Just need a bit of luck and fit everything to click.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So we're a top 6 side. Good. So when we're languishing near the relegation zone and some fans think that's where we belong, they're talking out of their arse.
    That says we are playing like a top 6 side and unlucky not to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I honestly thought other than those 2 games when we were shite we were unlucky to be where we were. We’ve been playing good stuff and creating chances. Just need a bit of luck and fit everything to click.
    Our biggest problem has been the ineptitude of our first half performances. xG doesn't show that. We've had 3 fantastic first half efforts and won 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

IMG_20201205_232715.jpg

As Ted Hastings from Line of Duty might say, " What in the mother of God is that all about"

Whatever next, the optimal boot size required to be a top striker or a league table based on the number of successfully completed passes in your opponent's half.

Anything other than a league table showing the number of points the team has accrued is a total waste of time. Ifs, buts, maybes, should haves, could haves. Football is a simple game, why complicate it ? Rant over 😒

One of my mates sorts the odds and he mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he had us as the sixth best side in the league. We were 16th at the time so I questioned it but a few weeks later it’s not looking too bad a shout.

We aren't languishing near the relegation zone and we won't be, though.

All this xG stuff has got me baffled, I’m sticking with 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and a bit of goal difference chucked in, it’s all a bit could’ve, should’ve, would’ve to me, sort of a way of placating fans who think their team is better (or worse, perhaps) than the real table suggests. Mind you when 3 points for a win came in and goal average was scrapped it seemed revolutionary to me

Two goals took Manchester United from the bottom seven into the top seven. After our defeat to Coventry we were 6 points (and goal difference) from being 9th and now we're 3 points off being 9th (removing goal difference) - from languishing near the relegation zone to asking whether top clubs looking over their shoulder at us on what accounts to a singular high scoring win.