+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Real Madrid and all that - a request for help.

Real Madrid and all that - a request for help.

Re: Real Madrid and all that - a request for help.

My local Waterstones often does it's best to promote local authors of different types of books. Not sure if that is a local policy but maybe something that you could try.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    My local Waterstones often does it's best to promote local authors of different types of books. Not sure if that is a local policy but maybe something that you could try.
    Thanks, I remember we tried Waterstones when Richard and I wrote The Journey Back in 2013 and they weren't interested. Back then, the two of us plus two others (one of whom posts regularly on here) clubbed together to publish it ourselves and paid for the cost of printing between us. This latest book is very much a one man operation and, as such, I couldn't afford the cost of printing, so the only way I could get it published was through Amazon. I can get author's copies of the paperback of Real Madrid and all that by paying just the cost of printing and have written to a couple of retail outlets suggesting I get books this way which they can then buy off me at a cheaper rate, but I've not received a reply from them.

There's a few pretty well followed Cardiff City Twitter pages with a few thousand followers each, could get in touch with them. Have you asked the club about doing anything? The may be interested in doing something with the anniversary coming up? Didn't they sell one of *****' books in the clubshop?

The comedian Elis James runs a few well followed sports podcasts, one which talks about sports books, could see if he'd be interested in using it in one?

What about social media? FB, Twitter, or even e-bay?

Can you blag an interview on the radio or tv? Must be some on here with contacts.

When my books came out, I found it easy to promote them.
    Newspapers and magazines are eager for news that's of interest to their readers. I made it a point of sending news releases to all the outlets of which I could think.
    So in addition to promoting it on OOCC and social media, I'd send releases to all the local newspapers including Wales Online with attention-grabbing copy. And the various websites that feature football.
    If it was me, I'd even think of standing on Queen Street with a carton(s) of books and a big placard advertising them.
    I also had a book signing day where I moved 125 books and a stall at a local history event.
    I had to do two reprints and have sold the lot.
    The beauty of this self promotion is that most of it is FREE!
    However, I note that you are using Amazon - so presumably it's print on demand. That's a drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Can you blag an interview on the radio or tv? Must be some on here with contacts.
    I think that’s a good idea. Maybe an interview with Gary Bell commenting on the book, or even a few of the team members. Rob or Tim may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Could the Trust buy a quantity and sell at the ground when life returns to normal

I’m sure the supporters club would stock it for you when we get back to going to games. I’m sure you’d sell a good few there. What about asking if the official shop would sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As season tickets are usually on sale around March, and next year is a significant anniversary of the Real Madrid match, why not ask the Club to purchase a quantity to give to early bird season ticket purchasers as a small incentive. It would be a nice touch from them to mark the anniversary.

Just a quick thank you to everyone who replied, I've had plenty of suggestions on here, posted to the blog and on Twitter, so it's going to take me a while to wade through them all and decide which ones to take up, but, just to say that I contacted the club shop twice via e-mail and did not even get an acknowledgement,

As Cyclops said, going with Amazon does have its disadvantages, but I can buy author's copies of the paperback for just the cost of printing them, so I'd like to think there is potential to do some sort of deal with retail outlets whereby they could get copies at quite a bit less than cost price.

It’s Welsh language, but sure the radio show Ar y Marc on Radio Cymru would be interested particularly if the anniversary is near as they’ll likely do a segment on it and get someone to talk about their memories of the night, etc. They plug English language books and all types of football books, particularly if there’s a Welsh angle.

Another free and easy way to advertise a book is to have a Blog.
    You can use it not only to describe your book (using the usual advertising BUZZ words) but also having regular updates including phrases/headings such as "Great Xmas presents for Cardiff City fans'.
    The object here is to get your Blog onto the first few pages of search results.
    Using images of the book's cover and a couple of inner pages works well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    It’s Welsh language, but sure the radio show Ar y Marc on Radio Cymru would be interested particularly if the anniversary is near as they’ll likely do a segment on it and get someone to talk about their memories of the night, etc. They plug English language books and all types of football books, particularly if there’s a Welsh angle.
    Thanks, that's something I'll definitely try .

The Trust has emailed all its members suggesting Real Madrid and All That would be an ideal Christmas present. Well done the Trust