+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone else get a your top songs e-mail from Spotify every year?

Anyone else get a your top songs e-mail from Spotify every year?

One thing I have to do every single day is set aside about forty minutes when I have select my biggest playlist on Spotify and click on random play. At this time every year, I get an e-mail from Spotify listing my most played tunes during the year - here's the list I've just had for 2020;-

1. Hotel California - the Eagles
    2. Hit the North Part 1 - the Fall
    3. Little Sister - Ry Cooder
    4. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
    5. Down Under - Men at Work
    6. Nobody's Diary - Yazoo
    7. The Bells of Rhymney - the Byrds
    8. Spirit's (Having Flown) - the Bee Gees
    9. Not now John - Pink Floyd
    10. Pale Shelter - Tears for Fears

Now I've got over 2,000 tracks on that playlist and it includes every track which would get into my own top 10 singles - although there are two or three in that list I'd say I really like, none of them would come remotely close to making it into it.

I wonder how random, the random play command is?

Re: Anyone else get a your top songs e-mail from Spotify every year?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One thing I have to do every single day is set aside about forty minutes when I have select my biggest playlist on Spotify and click on random play. At this time every year, I get an e-mail from Spotify listing my most played tunes during the year - here's the list I've just had for 2020;-

Now I've got over 2,000 tracks on that playlist and it includes every track which would get into my own top 10 singles - although there are two or three in that list I'd say I really like, none of them would come remotely close to making it into it.

I regularly look at my Spotify playlists and am confused how the same songs seem to play much more regularly and some never play. I do love the way they do the review of the year though, it's a nice individual touch

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I regularly look at my Spotify playlists and am confused how the same songs seem to play much more regularly and some never play. I do love the way they do the review of the year though, it's a nice individual touch
    Yes, I'm not complaining at all because I enjoy the random nature of it all. After all, it's my own list and although I go off a few of those 2,000 plus songs (there's a couple in that most played top ten for this year which I wouldn't put in there now), I liked them enough to have included them once.

It's funny though last year the top ten was dominated by Beatles tracks and I remember in 2018 it was a Proclaimer's track at number one and the top ten had more of an indy feel to it, yet all I do every day is click on the Playlist and then select random.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

The same for me, I have a huge playlist but it feels like the same tracks keep getting played when I put it on random, with bigger artists getting more plays than the smaller ones in the playlist