+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Greek Village Restaurant -Caerphilly Rd

Greek Village Restaurant -Caerphilly Rd

Opening soon, on the corner of Heathwood rd, where that Wok 2 Go place was. I love Greek food, and it's 5 mins from my house. Is it an extension of the place in Caroline st or is it a chain? My favourite is The Hellenic Eatery, Crwys Rd. Food is very good, big portions if you're a greedy **** or too tight to buy for the missus, and very reasonable prices-i thank you.

Re: Greek Village Restaurant -Caerphilly Rd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Opening soon, on the corner of Heathwood rd, where that Wok 2 Go place was. I love Greek food, and it's 5 mins from my house. Is it an extension of the place in Caroline st or is it a chain? My favourite is The Hellenic Eatery, Crwys Rd. Food is very good, big portions if you're a greedy **** or too tight to buy for the missus, and very reasonable prices-i thank you.
    My sister loves the Hellenic Eatery. That's where she had her 50th last year. You'll remember me grizzling about it as it was the same night as the Champions League final. I thought the food was OK without being anything special, but the portions were good and they were obviously decent people running the joint.

This year she was unable to go there on her birthday due to my sister-in-law's condition. The owner got to hear about it, tipped one of her friends the wink to keep her away from the kitchen until early evening and turned up on her doorstep in Bedwas with his daughter and all of their favourite dishes in his van. Top man.

I liked the Greek spot had a few enjoyable evenings there, not even sure if it's still open now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    My sister loves the Hellenic Eatery. That's where she had her 50th last year. You'll remember me grizzling about it as it was the same night as the Champions League final. I thought the food was OK without being anything special, but the portions were good and they were obviously decent people running the joint.

This year she was unable to go there on her birthday due to my sister-in-law's condition. The owner got to hear about it, tipped one of her friends the wink to keep her away from the kitchen until early evening and turned up on her doorstep in Bedwas with his daughter and all of their favourite dishes in his van. Top man.
    That's a fine thing to do and your sister has good taste!There's some eateries at the bottom of Caerphilly rd.

India Kitchen-Hugely improved since new ownership.
    Delhi Cuisine-Bang Average
    Top Oriental-Bang Average
    Golden BBQ-Popular-never been though.
    Celebrities Indian-Shit Name, really good food.
    Jamuna-Indian-Good food
    Jalapenos-Kebab-Never been.
    Youngers-Chippy-Good, if pricey.
    The fisheries-Chippy-Average, large portions.
    All within 30 seconds walking

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I liked the Greek spot had a few enjoyable evenings there, not even sure if it's still open now?
    Where is it? i remember a place on Crwys rd Bridge, late 90s early 2000's, great steaks.

The Golden BBQ is great. Used that a few times. Really decent servings.

I really didn't like the food from the Jamuna. It was a takeaway a few years ago, very bland. Should probably try it again.

Top Oriental - not great, not keen on the way they do their rice, but some dishes are decent.

We should write a guide to restaurants and takeaways in North Cardiff. No **** would buy it, but it would be something to do.

I really didn't like the food from the Jamuna. It was a takeaway a few years ago, very bland. Should probably try it again.

Top Oriental - not great, not keen on the way they do their rice, but some dishes are decent.

We should write a guide to restaurants and takeaways in North Cardiff. No **** would buy it, but it would be something to do.
    That little chinese on heol Llanishen fach is at the lower end of very good Chinese take aways are great, there must be something in there rental agreement that they only have to modernise the waiting area every 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Greek Spot closed during the early days of lockdown. We had a few good meals there but it never really took off, there’s a lot of competition on Whitchurch Road and a couple of rival Greek places on Crwys Road as well. It’s a Mexican style place now.

The Golden BBQ won an award for its kebabs a couple of years ago. Never had one but tempted every time I go past.

Yes it was obviously 10 11 months ago we last went there, shame its closed they were really decent people running it

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    Greek Spot closed during the early days of lockdown. We had a few good meals there but it never really took off, there’s a lot of competition on Whitchurch Road and a couple of rival Greek places on Crwys Road as well. It’s a Mexican style place now.
    Owners split up I heard....golden bbq is nice

Hellenic is lovely, probably one of mine and the misses favourite restaurants (first date there).
    Very reasonable prices as well.
    I’ve had take away from Maria’s (down the road from Hellenic) which was also very nice.

Where is it? i remember a place on Crwys rd Bridge, late 90s early 2000's, great steaks.
    Is it still there ? I remember going in there years ago. Food was decent .

What was the Wok place called on City road a few years ago and do you know if its still there?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    What was the Wok place called on City road a few years ago and do you know if its still there?
    Wok2go

Just had lunch at the Mint & Mustard in Whitchurch road. Excellent. I have also been to their restaurant in Penarth.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Just had lunch at the Mint & Mustard in Whitchurch road. Excellent. I have also been to their restaurant in Penarth.
    Their vindaloo is just like a proper, old-fashioned curry. Dark, thick, unctuous sauce, full of flavour. Reminiscent of the times when Indian /Bangladeshi restaurants actually made their sauces instead of buying in ..

Anyone remember the Welsh restaurant in Whitchurch Road which I think was where some of these are now - opposite the Welsh office.
    For years my favourite place to eat.

Ystafella Cymraeg (apologies in advance to the Welsh speakers/spellers). Great food long before pre-made 'bought in' meals. Always remember the big chunks of bread and butter while you waited for your starter... I was easily pleased back then