+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are you able to work from home or not?

Are you able to work from home or not?

Following on from the “UK emissions” thread.
    If you are lucky enough to be presently employed, does your job allow you to work from home, or not.
    Me personally, as a self employed tradesman, the answers no. It would be good to get a general census amongst CCMB members.

Re: Are you able to work from home or not?

I do not go into the office so work from home, my job does take me out to various sites though personally I prefer it as long as my work gets done everyone’s cushty.

International

No.

It's a yes from me.
    I was able to work 1 day at home before the pandemic but chose not to. Now I work 5 days a week at home and will probably work the majority of the week at home once the pandemic is over.

Wfh now and prolly gonna be hybrid working after the pandemic. Bit of a weird way to start this new job but hey, it is what it is and at least I have a job

No. Unless I was doing what I’ve been doing since the start of the pandemic, none of my colleagues could work from home (almost all of them are doing that at present). Also, there are various aspects of the job I do that could never been done from home as they the involve the production of physical documents and licences.

Yep, have increased from 3 days to 5 days working from home since April. There are some drawbacks but probably more productive overall.

Yes working 3/4 days from home at the moment. When the world is back to some normality though that won't be possible or it would be 1 day at home at best.

I worked from home from 2000 until when I left the Civil Service by retiring early in 2009 and would recommend it to anyone if they can do it - that said, I still had to go into work for one and a half days a week and I found I was enjoying going in more than when it was a daily grind. I was the first person in my department in the Patent Office to work from home, so was something of a guinea pig really and one of the trade offs for me being allowed to do so was that I had to accept an increase in my annual targets, but it was no hardship because I found I could get a lot more done at home.

My work, such as it is these days, is all done from home now and I wouldn't have it any other way,

No and would not want too , you lose touch and control of your work environment and they lose their focus on you and your immediate capability and response to just in time events and work related emergencies

Feedback

I go to the office to get out of the house.

Always plagued my boss that I could do most of what I did at home and save 12 hours a week commuting. His response was to move closer to work. Seemed short-sighted at the time, and positively pre-historic now. Been working from home since the office closed, as we all have, and we get more done because we get less people coming to our desks distracting us. We will all be working from home post pandemic because our company have closed the office permanent. We will get a day or two a month together when we can, that's all it needs.

Pre-covid - could wfh, wasn't allowed
    during covid - wfh
    post covid - wfh with 1-2 days team meetings a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    I go to the office to get out of the house.
    I think a few folk are beginning to say and think this , day to day contact with the outside world is very important for ones mental and overall well being

I've worked entirely from home for the last 7 years and I love it. What's not to like? I find I'm more productive, saving huge amounts of time and money by travelling far less. I can get everything I need to get done by a) Computer, b) Zoom/Skype c) Phone d) Mail

The other bonus is I don't have to engage too often with negative types who ruin my mojo. If you can do it I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I've worked entirely from home for the last 7 years and I love it. What's not to like? I find I'm more productive, saving huge amounts of time and money by travelling far less. I can get everything I need to get done by a) Computer, b) Zoom/Skype c) Phone d) Mail

The other bonus is I don't have to engage too often with negative types who ruin my mojo. If you can do it I highly recommend it.
    I find people are more positive working from home, even the negative prats who held things up before. Maybe it's because they realise it has to work while offices are closed. Good luck to any boss trying to get productive people back to the office post lock-down. It won't be happening.

I have been, was a bugger getting the mixer set up by the settee and the barrow up the stairs and the three scaffolders in the kitchen are eating me out of house and home, can’t wait to get back outside

Yes, I've been in the office once since the original lock down but that was my choice, most haven't been in at all.

yes, and I can see it happening a lot more often after the pandemic as well

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Pre-covid - could wfh, wasn't allowed
    during covid - wfh
    post covid - wfh with 1-2 days team meetings a month.
    Same for me

I’ve been wfh since March, been in the office once to update my laptop’s operating system. I’d only occasionally worked from home previously - a day here and there - and I think the longest stint I had done consecutively was a working week.

I imagine we will move towards a hybrid model once it’s deemed safer to do so but I would imagine the majority of next year will be spent wfh.

Although there have been times when it has been very stressful, on the whole I prefer it and I will be disappointed to return to full time office based working. Work wise, I’ve found it more productive, there’s less distractions and time is used more efficiently. Outside of work, returning to a commute will feel like a bit of a daft waste of time, energy and money.

I wasn’t a particular advocate for this way of working pre-pandemic but we’ve had an enforced pilot period with Covid and I’m now a convert.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No. Unless I was doing what I’ve been doing since the start of the pandemic, none of my colleagues could work from home (almost all of them are doing that at present). Also, there are various aspects of the job I do that could never been done from home as they the involve the production of physical documents and licences.
    Like you, I work in Licensing in the maritime world but we went electronic years ago (even though not in the most efficient way). I haven't had a paper document pass through my hand in years and have happily worked from home with a laptop and two extra monitors since March.

Working from home is the best thing to come out of the pandemic.

I love it for all the same reasons mentioned previously, My manager has also told me that sickness absence has dropped immensely, I guess when people woke up previously feeling 50/50 or couldn't face dragging themselves out of bed for a cold early morning commute, ringing in sick was a good option, that is all but eliminated now.

I have also found that when giving complete freedom (which we have) to choose our own start-finish times and lunch/break times, people try and take advantage a lot less than managers pre-covid would have feared,
    little things can make a big difference to people happiness and mental state eg (popping out to a dentist appointment without having to tell work and have a big song and dance about leaving the office for a appointment providing evidence for HR ect.)
    meeting my friends for lunch in midweek because I am now flexible in when and how long my breaks are.

more likely to spend 15-20mins extra at the end of the day finishing off a bit of work at home, rather than everyone just dropping everything half complete as soon as the clock hits 5:30