+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK emissions pledge

Re: UK emissions pledge

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Did you only read the words you wanted to? I said the majority of people. The biggest industry in the UK is services, most financial, most office based.
    Bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Well the mothers, won't be able to stay home ironing, as the grid will be charging up for the 5 o'clock car-charge rush.
    The NATIONAL GRID have already said that if EVERYONE SWITCHED TO ELECTRIC CARS TODAY, there would only be a TEN PERCENT increase in NATIONAL DEMAND for ELECTRICITY.

I made the key words big for you this time.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...mand-2030.html

Bollocks
    In April 2020, 46.6% of people in employment did some work at home.

Source ONS.

It will be more in 10 years time. It can't stay 1978 forever.

The NATIONAL GRID have already said that if EVERYONE SWITCHED TO ELECTRIC CARS TODAY, there would only be a TEN PERCENT increase in NATIONAL DEMAND for ELECTRICITY.

I made the key words big for you this time.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...mand-2030.html
    Have you got an electric toothbrush ?

Majority, means MOST, I disagree with that. I believe more people work in a "Hands on Job", than in offices
    No way

Source ONS.

It will be MORE in 10 years time. It can't stay 1978 forever.

Mystic Meg now, are you. ?

Have you got an electric toothbrush ?
    What has that got to do with electric cars? And the answer is no, I do not. I have a wooden toothbrush to reduce on use of plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    No way Pedro

Mystic Meg now, are you. ?
    Not at all, the trend is upwards. If you can't see the direction we are travelling in nationally and globally then it is little wonder you can't get the answers to your questions by using the same tool you are using to display your ignorance.

Majority, means MOST, I disagree with that. I believe more people work in a "Hands on Job", than in offices
    You may believe it, because your peer group may all work in hands on jobs. But that doesn't make it fact.

Source ONS.

It will be more in 10 years time. It can't stay 1978 forever.
    You may believe it, because your peer group may all work in hands on jobs. But that doesn't make it fact.

By your own admission, 46.6% of people work from home, so more travel to work, or did you not go to school, the day the had maths.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    They have cars because the council provision of anything even near adequate public transport is totally abysmal
    Yes, mainly as a result of privatisation and council funding cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    "The Prime Minister has today (Friday 4 December) announced a new ambitious target to reduce the UK's emissions by at least 68% by 2030, compared to 1990 levels."
    If attainable probably because lots of heavy industry already been stopped/destroyed.
    Wonder what today's figures are like compared to 1990.
    Emissions are already down by 45% on 1990 levels

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...he-past-decade

By your own admission, 46.6% of people work from home, so more travel to work, or did you not go to school, the day the had maths.
    He said majority in 2030...

And you were missing for the rest of it.

46.6% of people, in 2020, are able to work from home.

Do you think that figure is higher or lower than 2015? Or 2010?

And, based on that trend, where do you think the majority of people will be working in 2030?

Off now to have toast (done on a toasting fork in front of a fire) and marmalade (home made), enjoyed this little bit of escapism

See you if nothing on the wireless

And you were missing for the rest of it.

46.6% of people, in 2020, are able to work from home.

Do you think that figure is higher or lower than 2015? Or 2010?

And, based on that trend, WHERE do you think the majority of people will be working in 2030?

Just seen this, can't leave without answering, CHINA

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, mainly as a result of privatisation and council funding cuts.
    Of course, it could never be the council's fault could it?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He said majority in 2030...
    Will you stop sticking the boot in !!! 😀

But have you ditched "your electric TOOTHBRUSH" ?
    Yes. It's a wooden, wind-up one, made of recycled wood. As my arm goes up and down in the brushing action it's connected to a spring which pumps water from a deep well in my garden.

Question:—— How are all the people who live in terraced houses, (ie, no driveways), going to manage to park outside their house to charge their electric car ?
    How will parents get past all the electric leads on the pavements, with their pushchairs. ?

Don’t think they’ve thought this through !!
    Apparently the proposal is to put charging points in street lamposts. Not ideal if you can't find an available lampost but better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Apparently the proposal is to put charging points in street lamposts. Not ideal if you can't find an available lampost but better than nothing.
    There's lots of lamposts converted into charging points in London.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Of course, it could never be the council's fault could it?
    I haven't said that, but council blame is very low down in the list.

Privatisation has seen operators look to profit more on the strongest routes and pull out of less than profitable routes. The notion that it would generate competition is bullshit; operators tend to avoid competition as it affects profits and costs money. Indeed, operators have come to "unofficial" agreements in some areas to avoid stepping on each other's toes. Buses, as an example, are starting to suffer the same way as the railways did after Beeching, where cutting less profitable routes, less used routes have an effect on numbers overall. Bus passengers are in decline.

London is an example of a great place for public transport. It is fully integrated, so you're not penalised if you need to use different modes of public transport. Buses are run by several operators but under one banner. Some areas have 24 hours of public transport as it is needed.

Cardiff council have not been particularly great for buses, not so much with Cardiff Bus, but with other operators as well. A lack of bus station hasn't helped, it's one of the worst places to get a bus of all cities I've been to. I'm hopeful that the new Metro will improve the situation - South Wales has such a fragmented public transport set up it's not friendly for passengers, so a body to integrate and oversee everything thing has to be welcomed, providing it is funded well enough. London has one of the most subsidied public transport networks anywhere and it shows.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I haven't said that, but council blame is very low down in the list.

Privatisation has seen operators look to profit more on the strongest routes and pull out of less than profitable routes. The notion that it would generate competition is bullshit; operators tend to avoid competition as it affects profits and costs money. Indeed, operators have come to "unofficial" agreements in some areas to avoid stepping on each other's toes. Buses, as an example, are starting to suffer the same way as the railways did after Beeching, where cutting less profitable routes, less used routes have an effect on numbers overall. Bus passengers are in decline.

London is an example of a great place for public transport. It is fully integrated, so you're not penalised if you need to use different modes of public transport. Buses are run by several operators but under one banner. Some areas have 24 hours of public transport as it is needed.

Cardiff council have not been particularly great for buses, not so much with Cardiff Bus, but with other operators as well. A lack of bus station hasn't helped, it's one of the worst places to get a bus of all cities I've been to. I'm hopeful that the new Metro will improve the situation - South Wales has such a fragmented public transport set up it's not friendly for passengers, so a body to integrate and oversee everything thing has to be welcomed, providing it is funded well enough. London has one of the most subsidied public transport networks anywhere and it shows.
    Not much argument with that. Cardiff bus is run by the Council, and in lockdown they asked people not to use the bus unless they had to and then complained that they were having to lay drivers off and reduce services because they weren't being used enough.
    As for the Metro, it will probably be a vast improvement but I'm not confident of seeing it in my lifetime!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    e yellow lines outside your house.