• No

50 87.72%
  • Leo Fortune West

3 5.26%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: BLM - Will you boo ?

Re: BLM - Will you boo ?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Sure it’s a very complex thing, not saying I agree with him in any way. Reckons they were booing the method of delivery, the messaging etc...they’ve voted for a black player of the year 5 times in last 10 he says. Have a listen
    I'll give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'll give it a go
    Don’t agree with everything says, he often blames footballs authorities for stuff, this aswell. He’s pretty astute though.

Don’t agree with everything says, he often blames footballs authorities for stuff, this aswell. He’s pretty astute though.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to work out why they were booing but I also think there are a lot of excuses being made by and for them.

QPR taking the knee against Millwall

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...llowing-booing

Sure it’s a very complex thing, not saying I agree with him in any way. Reckons they were booing the method of delivery, the messaging etc...they’ve voted for a black player of the year 5 times in last 10 he says. Have a listen
    I know it's not your point, but people do that doublethink all the time. "Can't stand English people, my daughter in law is English but she's different"

It's probably pretty easy to recognise a black player as being the best at your club, but still have stone age views about black people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I know it's not your point, but people do that doublethink all the time. "Can't stand English people, my daughter in law is English but she's different"

It's probably pretty easy to recognise a black player as being the best at your club, but still have stone age views about black people in general.
    There's also a thing about black people having their place, so even racists see them as a performer for them and justify it that way.

I think a lot of people are making excuses for them that Millwall don't deserve. For me, the idea that they were booing the method is laughable and becomes even more so considering their recent fine for racist chanting

Also as lardy says just because they like a black player doesn't really mean anything. Racism isn't a rational viewpoint and you see people engaging in all sorts of mental gymnastics to try and justify it "he's different, he's one of the good ones" etc

I would applaud in solidarity. The apologists have no argument. It’s racism, pure and simple. The type of people who will back the Millwall fans will leave you in no doubt which side of morality you stand.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y-after-booing

Players from Queens Park Rangers have asked to change the club’s policy on taking a knee and will now perform the gesture against Millwall on Tuesday in what manager Mark Warburton described as a show of “solidarity” after booing at the Den on Saturday.

In September Les Ferdinand – the only black director of football in the senior English game – defended the club’s decision for players to no longer take a knee because the gesture had become “little more than good PR”. But after the decision of some home supporters to boo Millwall and Derby players when they took a knee before the 1-0 victory for Wayne Rooney’s side at the weekend was heavily criticised by anti-racism campaigners, Warburton revealed that his players’ request to reverse the decision for their trip to south-east London had been granted.

“In light of certain events, we’ll stand solidly behind the cause and our players will take a knee,” Warburton said. “Tomorrow night we will show solidarity because we will not tolerate any form of discrimination. It’s the right thing to do, everyone can see that. The players have come to me and told me their thoughts and I absolutely agree with them.”

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...y-after-booing

Players from Queens Park Rangers have asked to change the club’s policy on taking a knee and will now perform the gesture against Millwall on Tuesday in what manager Mark Warburton described as a show of “solidarity” after booing at the Den on Saturday.

In September Les Ferdinand – the only black director of football in the senior English game – defended the club’s decision for players to no longer take a knee because the gesture had become “little more than good PR”. But after the decision of some home supporters to boo Millwall and Derby players when they took a knee before the 1-0 victory for Wayne Rooney’s side at the weekend was heavily criticised by anti-racism campaigners, Warburton revealed that his players’ request to reverse the decision for their trip to south-east London had been granted.

“In light of certain events, we’ll stand solidly behind the cause and our players will take a knee,” Warburton said. “Tomorrow night we will show solidarity because we will not tolerate any form of discrimination. It’s the right thing to do, everyone can see that. The players have come to me and told me their thoughts and I absolutely agree with them.”
    Well done QPR and well done Spurs fans yesterday for roundly applauding during the taking of the knee, something we must do when we’re allowed back in to show the idiots amongst our support that we won’t have bigotry at Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Well done QPR and well done Spurs fans yesterday for roundly applauding during the taking of the knee, something we must do when we’re allowed back in to show the idiots amongst our support that we won’t have bigotry at Cardiff City.
    This gesture needs an end date or it will lose its impact and get stale. In Saturday's QPR v Huddersfield game 5 QPR players took a knee and 6 did not. They have agreed to all take it ahead of the Millwall game tomorrow. The Telegraph reports that QPR will take a knee only until January when a 'comprehensive anti-discrimination strategy will be announced'. I thought we already had one 'Kick it Out'

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    This gesture needs an end date or it will lose its impact and get stale. In Saturday's QPR v Huddersfield game 5 QPR players took a knee and 6 did not. They have agreed to all take it ahead of the Millwall game tomorrow. The Telegraph reports that QPR will take a knee only until January when a 'comprehensive anti-discrimination strategy will be announced'. I thought we already had one 'Kick it Out'
    Why does it need an end date? What about if in 2 or 3 years from now some little kid (or anyone for that matter) sees it and asks what it's for?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    It can end when racism is no more. Seems fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

I see we have 4 yeses now. Be nice to hear their rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Or when clubs/players decide not to do it anymore presumably??

To everyone who says it's stale, has lost its impact etc I completely disagree. The news coverage of big protests across the world finished months ago yet here we are on this board and probably hundreds of other boards across the country after the weekend, discussing racism. That simply wouldn't be the case if the players weren't taking the knee. It consistently brings the issue back into focus, long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    To everyone who says it's stale, has lost its impact etc I completely disagree. The news coverage of big protests across the world finished months ago yet here we are on this board and probably hundreds of other boards across the country after the weekend, discussing racism. That simply wouldn't be the case if the players weren't taking the knee. It consistently brings the issue back into focus, long may it continue.
    I think the posters who think it will go stale are right wing, just an observation.

Where is anybody discussing racism? I have read both threads and I don't think I have seen any acts of racism or action to tackle racism discussed or even mentioned. We have spent lots of time talking about some guys booing some other guys who are on one knee and other people saying what they might do if they saw some guys on one knee or someone else booing some guys on one knee.

There is also a deeply worrying undercurrent of 'if you don't agree with me, then you are racist' running through these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think the posters who think it will go stale are right wing, just an observation.
    I think it already is stale and I am certainly not right wing

Clubs and players can do what they like, if they want to kneel then go for it but I worry for the first club/player to choose not to symbolise their opposition to racism before each kick off.

Things do go stale if they are not refreshed now and again. Take 'Clap For Carers/ NHS.' Would you really be standing on the doorstep clapping each week if it was still continuing? I saw fewer and fewer people in my street clapping as time went on.

If an end date for the knee in football matches was announced linked to something fans could get involved at that particular match to show their support....It could be a collection, Cardiff BLM t-shirts for sale, Cardiff BLM pin badges. If such was UK wide it could have a very big impact.

Otherwise it'll end up sadly as something that just routinely happens before KO

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I think it already is stale and I am certainly not right wing

Clubs and players can do what they like, if they want to kneel then go for it but I worry for the first club/player to choose not to symbolise their opposition to racism before each kick off.
    There is that, although i suppose the said player will give an explanation, if it's thought out and productive then fair enough, if it's because he's a racist then **** him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There is that, although i suppose the said player will give an explanation, if it's thought out and productive then fair enough, if it's because he's a racist then **** him.
    He might just not want to do it. Does it need to be thought out and thoroughly explained? People have been taking a knee, sitting and whatever else as a protest for years and good on them for making that tough decision and sticking their neck out, they didn't expect everybody to join them and people didn't need to explain why they didn't join.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    He might just not want to do it. Does it need to be thought out and thoroughly explained? People have been taking a knee, sitting and whatever else as a protest for years and good on them for making that tough decision and sticking their neck out, they didn't expect everybody to join them and people didn't need to explain why they didn't join.
    It's a difficult one. I suppose they would have to say something if they had already taken part in the protest. If a player said that he thinks that it has served a purpose but he abhors racism in every way, then fair enough in my book. Nobody should be forced or feel like they have to do it in my opinion, although an explanation may be needed, especially from a footballer who is in the public eye to a certain extent, and especially if they've taken part.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55223935

Millwall players will not take a knee before Tuesday's Championship fixture against QPR but will stand arm-in-arm in a "show of solidarity for football's fight against discrimination".

In a statement, Millwall said: "Millwall believe that this gesture, which the club hopes to repeat with other visiting teams in the coming weeks and months, will help to unify people throughout society in the battle to root out all forms of discrimination.
    Sure, fine, but recognise that you're now starting to edge away from taking an anti-racist stance because you want to be more palatable to those who oppose changing society in order to make it less racist. That itself is very much a political gesture.